Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Mature age student on F1 visa wannabe

Mature age student on F1 visa wannabe

Old May 23rd 2009, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

paulw99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mature age student on F1 visa wannabe

Howdy All,

This is my first post here, so please be gentle with me.
I've done some reading and searching, honest!

I would like to go live in the US for a few years, as a
mature-age student on an F1 visa. The money isn't a problem,
and getting accepted isn't a problem but what do I have to look
out for in the interview?

I know they're trying to weed out people that want to immigrate
but that's not me, a few years anywhere is enough for me.

I own (with two others) a house in the area where I want to go study,
would that count against me? Is it something I shouldn't volunteer
in the interview process? I intend to live in that house.

I assume they want to see ties to another country but I don't own
any real estate anywhere else, and I only work on a contract basis
every once in a while.

Any advice? Any other mature-age students (I'm 45) on an F1 visa?

cheers
Paul
Old May 23rd 2009, 7:41 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mature age student on F1 visa wannabe

There has to be more to this story.

What is your travel history to the US? How much time have you spent in the US? Ever denied a visa before? Any US family? Any spouse/children? Ever hassled at the border? How much time have you been spending at the house in the US?

It's odd that the only property you own is in the US.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply.

Just by the way, when I wrote "getting accepted isn't a problem"
I meant at the educational institute.

Sure, there's always more to the story. I go to the US for about
3-4 months every year. I like the area where the house is, which
is why I bought one there (in partnership). I'd like to spend a
bit/lot more time there so I figured an F1 visa would help, and I'd
get to learn something new as well.

I've visited the US many times, I often go on holiday there.

Never been denied a visa, I go in on the visa waiver scheme,
often more than once a year.

No US family. No US girlfriend. No spouse, no children.
Never hassled at the border. I have no interest in working there.
I've even been going there with one-way tickets but I'm not
going to do that again, they seem to be tightening up on
the rules, judging by what I've heard from others.

Not odd at all that my only property is in the US, it's at
least affordable there, unlike the UK! Actually I do own some
other property (1/4 of my parents' flat) but not officially
(it's in my sister's name) so I can't use that to prove ties
to another country.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:39 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that you don't own property or your own abode outside the US may be cause for concern.

You should check the SEVIS list for approved schools before proceeding:

http://www.ice.gov/sevis/map/approvedschoolsmap.htm

Keep in mind that you would have to study full time under normal circumstances. Failure to attend classes or take the required number classes will be reported to the government.

It's tough to give odds on something like this, so I can't quote you a percent chance or anything.
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the link, I did already check that they were on the list.
Another place I was looking at even told me the visa was a "formality".
That'll be the day.

I did know I had to be a full-time student, but didn't realize that
I could get reported to the government for not turning up to class!
I must confess, I'm not planning on picking anything too taxing.

Do you think the ownership of property in the US is information I
should avoid volunteering unless asked?

cheers
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:57 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by paulw99
That'll be the day.

cheers
I don't see anywhere on the form that asks about owning property so I don't see how it would come up. I wouldn't mention it, but wouldn't try to hide it if asked.

They probably wouldn't care if you missed some classes, but if it gets to the point that you get dropped from the class and fall below full time, it could be a real problem.
Old May 24th 2009, 12:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... but didn't realize that I could get reported to the government for not turning up to class!
While I'm sure that's a possibility, most university classes don't take attendance. I wouldn't worry about your age... as long as you otherwise meet the criteria for the F-1 you'll be fine. I was 44 when I started my Master's degree and no one batted an eyelid although, to be fair, I wasn't on an F-1 visa... but still, nowadays, maturity isn't an issue!

Ian
Old May 24th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

That'll be the day.

I have a friend in his mid-30's who is over here on an F1 visa right now and while I wouldn't go quite as far as saying that the visa was a "formality" it did appear to be very straightforward. (That having been said, my friend is genuinely here to study, was able to demonstrate that he had sufficient funds to support himself while he was here, and had previously visited the US on only 3 occasions spread out over the last 5 years for a total of about 8 weeks).

The US holds both education and itself in very high regard (although others might disagree ...) so the fact that someone would want to come to the US to study is not in and of itself surprising or requiring of much explanation.

Continuing education where people take academic courses throughout their lives is also very much the norm.

The only real issue that you will have is demonstrating that you have sufficient ties to another country to convince the US that you intend to leave at the end of your course of study.

In my friend's case the "interview" for the F1 visa took less than 60 seconds and consisted of the standard friendly chat about where he was going to study, what he was going to study and whether he had been to the US before. Since none of the answers to those questions raised any red flags with the consular officer that was it and he got his passport back with the visa in it about 3 days later.
Old May 24th 2009, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough

Hello,

I am in the US on an F1 visa, and am, at 37, classed as a non traditional student. The Visa process was pretty straight forward, only a minor hiccup related to proof of custody of my children. The interview was brief; I was asked what I was studying, how long I planned to be there and for financial evidence that I had the means to support myself and my children. I took along proof that my Job would be available upon my return to the UK, and had proof of home ownership, however, this was not asked for.

For the last four semesters I have reported into the registrar, she needed to see me on campus, and yes, they are required to report you if don't attend class. You do need to be full time, but you can take 9 credits on campus and the rest online, which I found useful. 12 Credit hours is the minimum requirement for full time.
Old May 24th 2009, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. If any other mature (or not) students have stories to share, I'd like to hear them.

I'll try to get my most recent employer to give me a letter "guaranteeing" my job on my return in case they ask for it and/or get antsy about my lack of property.

I'm considering applying to a Community College (also on the the list) because it's a lot cheaper than the University and also offers online classes. Would they think that is a bit unusual? I do have an undergraduate degree.

cheers
Old May 24th 2009, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm considering applying to a Community College (also on the the list) because it's a lot cheaper than the University and also offers online classes. Would they think that is a bit unusual? I do have an undergraduate degree.
Community College is fine as long as it is on the list of "approved institutions".

My friend is studying at a community college and, even for an "overseas student" it isn't too expensive - I think that his tuition fees are about $3,500 per semester which includes about $400 for mandatory (but fairly basic) medical insurance.
Old May 24th 2009, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough

I'm considering applying to a Community College (also on the the list) because it's a lot cheaper than the University and also offers online classes. Would they think that is a bit unusual? I do have an undergraduate degree. cheers
I have done my Gen Eds in a community college, and am transferring to complete my bachelors degree. No questions were asked about my choice; financially it makes sense to do so. My previous qualifications, experience and education were not adressed in my visa application, only the college I applied to were interested in that.

BTW, you can do online classes whilst you are at a university as long as you are full time at the college that issues you your I-20. Also, because you have a property, and assuming your college of choice would be in the same state, you should qualify for in-state tuition, which may make a considerable difference.
Old May 24th 2009, 1:17 pm
crg
American Expat

Hmmm.... I wouldn't assume that he'd qualify for in-state tuition right away. They may want to see tax returns. His student visa will have a start date on it, and I doubt brief visa waiver visits would meet the residence requirement.

You also have to consider that F-1 students are supposed to have their permanent residence abroad.

Here's a snippet from a web site for a school in California as an example:

1) *Eligibility. You are eligible to establish residence if you are a:

a) U.S. citizen
b) Permanent resident or other immigrant
c) Nonimmigrant who is not precluded from establishing a domicile in the U.S. Non- immigrants who are not precluded from establishing a domicile in the U.S. include those who hold valid visas of the following types: A, E, G, H-1, H-4, I, K, L, N, NATO, O-1, O-3, R, T, U, or V

*NOTICE: Students who are not citizens of the United States must demonstrate a valid legal status that does not preclude the establishment of a domicile in the U.S. in order to begin the University’s 366 day duration period (i.e., physical presence coupled with intent)

http://registrar.ucdavis.edu/html/slr.html#WhoResident

Last edited by crg; May 24th 2009 at 1:25 pm.
Old May 24th 2009, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg14624
Hmmm.... I wouldn't assume that he'd qualify for in-state tuition right away. They may want to see tax returns. His student visa will have a start date on it, and I doubt visa waiver visits count towards the residence requirement.
Perhaps, but as he hasn't applied to any colleges yet, it is an option that he can pursue. My thoughts were that whilst he seems concerned about owning a share in a property, it could potentially assist him. Each state college has different requirements to prove residency, but it certainly may be worthwhile to investigate, and anticipate the requirements, before he applies.
Old May 24th 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CarrotCruncher
Perhaps, but as he hasn't applied to any colleges yet, it is an option that he can pursue. My thoughts were that whilst he seems concerned about owning a share in a property, it could potentially assist him. Each state college has different requirements to prove residency, but it certainly may be worthwhile to investigate, and anticipate the requirements, before he applies.
The "residency" needed to qualify for in-state tuition fees at a community college will normally be something that is decided at the state level not on a per-college basis because the colleges are funded in part by the state. In California I believe it is currently 12 months and with the budget crisis I wouldn't be surprised to see both the residency requirement and the out of state tuition fees increase in the near future.

No harm in asking, of course, but if you have enough money to be able to live in the US for a couple of years without needing to work then the out-of-state community college tuition fees are unlikely to be a big problem.

Last edited by md95065; May 24th 2009 at 5:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.