Marriage? The only way!!!!

Old Jul 16th 2016, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Acannon7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage? The only way!!!!

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice really. (Excuse my punctuation and grammar)

My story:

I'm 29 from London i visted America a few times over the years on holiday and loved the place, which gave me the idea of wanting to move out to the US. So in 2012 i gave up my job in England and got a job out in California coaching football for 9 months the company set it all up and told me I had to apply for a j1 working visa and go to a meeting at the us embassy.

This was all approved and off I went to California to have the best 9 months of my life absolutely fell in love with the place. At that point if i could of stayed forever I would of in a heartbeat but I couldn't and ended coming back to England to no job no car and back living with my parents.

Since 2012 I got back on my feet here whilst going on several holidays to LA Vegas etc. Since my last trip a couple months ago I have decided that California is where I want to live and I have been researching how I can make this possible and it's not looking good

HELP:

So after doing my research and looking into most visas the only realistic option I have to getting a green card or me being able to live and work in the US permanently is by marrying an America.

This seems a bit far fetch at the moment as I'm currently in England with no girlfriend from a America lol but after my previous experiences out there and the love of the English accent by American women, I believe that living out there for 6 months I could get into a legitimate relationship within that time.

The plan:

So to be out there long enough to meet someone and get into a relationship I need 6 months. I'm thinking of applying for a traveling visa for 6 months and if all goes well hope to be in relationship. I will then come back home and then go back out there to get the ball rolling.

The advice and help that I need is to know wether you think this is a good or bad idea? Or any other suggestions you have for me to get permanent residency in the US.

Just to filter out some answers you may already provide.

I don't have any relative or relations from the US
I work in construction and my company has work in the US also but I have explored that avenue and that looks a much slimmer option than my idea right now.
Education is ruled out
The only one green card eligibility i qualify for would be to get married.

<<<SNIP>>>

Thanks for your help in advance
Alex

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 16th 2016 at 7:14 pm. Reason: Site Rule #2
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage? The only way!!!!

Welcome to BE.

May I suggest you take a read through our Site Rules...especially #2?

Please do not ask our members to give you advice on breaking the law. Thanks.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:16 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but personally I think it's a terrible idea.

First, you have the issue of getting the visa. Since you're a citizen of a VWP eligible country, a 6 month visa is by no means guaranteed. What are you going to tell them when they ask why you want a 6 month visa instead of using the VWP? That your aim is to find someone to marry so you can move to the US permanently? Good luck with that.

Second... the best relationships are rarely born out of desperation. Do you intend to be up front with your future girlfriend about your reasons for wanting a relationship? You have a 6 month time frame to meet, (fall in love?) and convince this poor girl to get married so you can get a green card. Again, good luck with that. Whatever you may have seen in Love, Actually, real life may prove a little harder.

The stance on overstaying your visa and becoming illegal is that it's illegal. Don't do it.

Ultimately, your best bet is to make the best of things where you are right now, maybe even do some more studying to improve your qualifications, follow the career path that you feel is right for you and see where the future takes you.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Acannon7
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice really. (Excuse my punctuation and grammar)

My story:

I'm 29 from London i visted America a few times over the years on holiday and loved the place, which gave me the idea of wanting to move out to the US. So in 2012 i gave up my job in England and got a job out in California coaching football for 9 months the company set it all up and told me I had to apply for a j1 working visa and go to a meeting at the us embassy.

This was all approved and off I went to California to have the best 9 months of my life absolutely fell in love with the place. At that point if i could of stayed forever I would of in a heartbeat but I couldn't and ended coming back to England to no job no car and back living with my parents.

Since 2012 I got back on my feet here whilst going on several holidays to LA Vegas etc. Since my last trip a couple months ago I have decided that California is where I want to live and I have been researching how I can make this possible and it's not looking good
A lot of people think this, but in reality, California is expensive and not necessarily an ideal place to live.

HELP:

So after doing my research and looking into most visas the only realistic option I have to getting a green card or me being able to live and work in the US permanently is by marrying an America.

This seems a bit far fetch at the moment as I'm currently in England with no girlfriend from a America lol but after my previous experiences out there and the love of the English accent by American women, I believe that living out there for 6 months I could get into a legitimate relationship within that time.
First, it is illegal to marry in order to obtain a green card. Second, You can't stay for six months without applying for a B2 visa, which will most likely be denied.

The plan:

So to be out there long enough to meet someone and get into a relationship I need 6 months. I'm thinking of applying for a traveling visa for 6 months and if all goes well hope to be in relationship. I will then come back home and then go back out there to get the ball rolling.

The advice and help that I need is to know wether you think this is a good or bad idea? Or any other suggestions you have for me to get permanent residency in the US.
Bad, bad and, did I say, BAD. As I said above, unless you have a really good, legitimate reason for NEEDING to stay for six months, the visa application will be denied, meaning that, not only will you have to wait at least another six months before reapplying, you can NEVER use the VWP again as you will forever have to declare the denial.

Just to filter out some answers you may already provide.

I don't have any relative or relations from the US
I work in construction and my company has work in the US also but I have explored that avenue and that looks a much slimmer option than my idea right now.
Education is ruled out
The only one green card eligibility i qualify for would be to get married.

Does anyone also no the stance on over staying your visa and becoming illegal because I no there's lots that do it but I don't know enough. I heard you won't be able to qualify for anything like cards etc you will have to get paid by cash and if you ever leave the US you will not get back in?? I have also heard people do that route and then get a green card wether it be through marriage having a kid or getting in with a company.

Thanks for your help in advance
Alex
Do not even THINK about an overstay. In fact, if coming on ESTA, plan to leave after a maximum of 85 days (in case of flight delays, etc.). Its harder to work for cash only than ever now and with the security in place after 9/11 and the other terrorist attacks, overstays are seen in a very dim light. If you are serious about coming here permanently (which I don't really think you are!), then everything you do MUST be by the book and to the letter.

There is no harm in looking for a spouse in the US, but think of the costs involved, not to mention the paperwork. Remember, the grass is NOT always greener, etc., and visiting, even on a J1, is not representative of living, earning, raising a family, getting healthcare and so on.

I would suggest to you, and all the other "I wanna leave the UK and live in the States" wannabes that post a similar tale to yours; if you are struggling where you are, what makes you think you won't struggle worse if you move?
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

What about dating sites? I think there are some where you can meet people in other countries. If I'm not mistaken, some of our members here have done that. I don't know of any personally, but I'm sure they'd be easy enough to search for.

- Eric S.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

May I suggest you take a read through our Site Rules...especially #2?

Please do not ask our members to give you advice on breaking the law. Thanks.

Apologies I think the way I have worded this is getting people confused I'm not trying to break the law or am asking people to give advice on breaking the law
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies I think the way I have worded this ....
You could hardly have made a worse job of wording your opening post. .... The underlying idea is workable, but might require some luck, but then that is how falling in love works in the real world too.

Disclosure: I met my then future wife on an American on-line dating site; at that time I had never visited America. We married two years later, and have been happily married for 16 years now.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

Since my last trip a couple months ago I have decided that California is where I want to live
Unfortunately as it has already been pointed out, California is incredibly expensive. I was looking at California with a dream job of working for Blizzard Entertainment but have since then decided against it unless me and my soon to be wife get Top level positions in our fields.

It does sound like the relationship you need shouldn't be decided over a factor of you just wanting a green card. I met my American Fiancé purely by chance through a friend and it went from there. I love her more than words can say and it does sound like you are looking for a relationship with an American just so you could get a Green card (hope this isn't true).

Overstaying = illegal. Don't do it.

My best advice, take what everyone here is saying and heed their words. These ladies and gents know their stuff much better than most do. So if they're saying something is wrong, illegal or bad, don't do it. I hope you find a good legal solution to getting what you want however from where I am currently sitting it is difficult.

Dating sites are a possible option! My relationship has mainly been online (through Skype) and a number of visits so anything is possible!

Just don't do anything illegal and I wish you the best.

Jon
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but personally I think it's a terrible idea.

First, you have the issue of getting the visa. Since you're a citizen of a VWP eligible country, a 6 month visa is by no means guaranteed. What are you going to tell them when they ask why you want a 6 month visa instead of using the VWP? That your aim is to find someone to marry so you can move to the US permanently? Good luck with that.

Second... the best relationships are rarely born out of desperation. Do you intend to be up front with your future girlfriend about your reasons for wanting a relationship? You have a 6 month time frame to meet, (fall in love?) and convince this poor girl to get married so you can get a green card. Again, good luck with that. Whatever you may have seen in Love, Actually, real life may prove a little harder.

The stance on overstaying your visa and becoming illegal is that it's illegal. Don't do it.

Ultimately, your best bet is to make the best of things where you are right now, maybe even do some more studying to improve your qualifications, follow the career path that you feel is right for you and see where the future takes you.

Hi

Not at all feedback was wanted

Apologies I think have worded this wrong I wouldnt just marry someone/anyone to gain a green card it would be out of love and not desperation.

I obviously want to move to the Us and marriage is an option for this to happen but for me to meet an American women and the best chance to find a girlfriend Is to be in America. it could happen anywhere in the world and happens regularly between Americans and Brits.

I don't mean I'll find a girl in 6 months and marry her I mean within 6 months I'd hope to meet someone so in that time a relationship form and see where it leads exactly the same as every other story in the marriage section.

Plus no one can tell you how you fall in love or how you meet your future partner people met in the strangest of circumstances.

Regarding your response on the visa situation with what I said above I would ask them that. I'd ask for a visa to travel for 6 months happens all the time ?

I understand with what i have right now in England but other than staying here and studying I want to move to the US so that was my ask for help and advice on what other avenues can I explore that our realistic ??

Thanks
Old Jul 16th 2016, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
A lot of people think this, but in reality, California is expensive and not necessarily an ideal place to live.

First, it is illegal to marry in order to obtain a green card. Second, You can't stay for six months without applying for a B2 visa, which will most likely be denied.

Bad, bad and, did I say, BAD. As I said above, unless you have a really good, legitimate reason for NEEDING to stay for six months, the visa application will be denied, meaning that, not only will you have to wait at least another six months before reapplying, you can NEVER use the VWP again as you will forever have to declare the denial.

Do not even THINK about an overstay. In fact, if coming on ESTA, plan to leave after a maximum of 85 days (in case of flight delays, etc.). Its harder to work for cash only than ever now and with the security in place after 9/11 and the other terrorist attacks, overstays are seen in a very dim light. If you are serious about coming here permanently (which I don't really think you are!), then everything you do MUST be by the book and to the letter.

There is no harm in looking for a spouse in the US, but think of the costs involved, not to mention the paperwork. Remember, the grass is NOT always greener, etc., and visiting, even on a J1, is not representative of living, earning, raising a family, getting healthcare and so on.

I would suggest to you, and all the other "I wanna leave the UK and live in the States" wannabes that post a similar tale to yours; if you are struggling where you are, what makes you think you won't struggle worse if you move?

Hi

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated.

I hope my post above clears up your response with regards to marrying for a green card I didn't quite mean it how it was worded apologies.

On the visa front I don't know the exact visa letter and number but know of friends that have applied for a travel visa stating the esta 3 month visa is not long enough to travel America and they have this much money behind them and get granted a 6 month visa??

I'd never overstay my visas as I wouldn't want anything to jepordise me getting back into the country at any point. I was posing a question regarding as I've heard tales of putting overstaying and then later down the line getting papers sorted for different ways I.E employment,marriage,children etc.

To your finally message to us wannabes I'm not struggling in England I'm doing just fine that is why i can take regular trips to the US but I've lived there for 9 months and been on regular holidays I have some great friendships made over there I love the people and the way of life and that is what makes me want to move there and create a new life for myself.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 8:08 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

You are missing the point. Applying for a B2 so you can stay for 6 months is a bad idea. Firstly because you already have the VWP, and secondly the reason for wanting it is just to meet an American girl so you can marry her and move in the future.

They would just laugh in your face and deny you at the interview.

Stick to your VWP visits and if something happens then it happens, otherwise carry on with life.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 8:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For those who are VWP eligible, B-2 visas are regularly denied, as you have no reason to stay longer in the USA (simply wanting to is not enough). And what about your job? They would give you a 6-month vacation??

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 16th 2016 at 8:13 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 8:11 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Not at all feedback was wanted

Apologies I think have worded this wrong I wouldnt just marry someone/anyone to gain a green card it would be out of love and not desperation.

I obviously want to move to the Us and marriage is an option for this to happen but for me to meet an American women and the best chance to find a girlfriend Is to be in America. it could happen anywhere in the world and happens regularly between Americans and Brits.

I don't mean I'll find a girl in 6 months and marry her I mean within 6 months I'd hope to meet someone so in that time a relationship form and see where it leads exactly the same as every other story in the marriage section.

Plus no one can tell you how you fall in love or how you meet your future partner people met in the strangest of circumstances.

Regarding your response on the visa situation with what I said above I would ask them that. I'd ask for a visa to travel for 6 months happens all the time ?

I understand with what i have right now in England but other than staying here and studying I want to move to the US so that was my ask for help and advice on what other avenues can I explore that our realistic ??

Thanks
That sounds a little better

My main concern is that you are still looking for a girlfriend with a view to moving permanently to the US rather than with a view to a future happy life with that person, wherever you may end up.

As others have mentioned, CA is, on the whole, a very expensive state (obviously some areas are cheaper than others, but they're generally cheaper for a very good reason... because no-one wants to live there). The vast majority of construction workers are immigrants, many of whom don't speak much English, and the pay is low. Temperatures can be extremely hot in the summer months. So... you're looking at working in 90+ degree heat for $15/hr with co-workers who are speaking together in a language you don't understand, all to just about cover your rent with nothing left over to enable you to enjoy the finer things in life. Is this really the dream you're looking for?
Old Jul 16th 2016, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eric S
What about dating sites? I think there are some where you can meet people in other countries. If I'm not mistaken, some of our members here have done that. I don't know of any personally, but I'm sure they'd be easy enough to search for.

- Eric S.
Hi Eric

Thanks for your comment.

I'm not looking to find a women online in America I'd rather be out there and meet someone and can spend time with them regularly to see if there is something there.

I kind of meant that it seems the only realistic option to qualify for a green card is to meet a partner from the us and form a relationship and yes it be a real legitimate two way relationship to avoid any further confusion and then one day get married. Like in the marriage section you see this happens regularly so again the most realistic way.

Thanks
Old Jul 16th 2016, 8:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep going there on VWP visits and keep looking for Ms Right. Don't rule out dating sites and social media.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.