Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Mark in the passport while entering USA as LPR

Mark in the passport while entering USA as LPR

Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:45 pm
Paul

Default Mark in the passport while entering USA as LPR

I am a LPR, living most part of the year in Israel. Last time I came
to USA, there was a discussion with an officer about my intention to
live permanently in USA. I was granted an entrance, but my passport
has been marked handwritten as

"9 mo (nths) out, 407/Rep ADVISED"

Does somebody know what it means, especially what is 407?

Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:59 pm
USCIS Victim

YtsejaM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mark in the passport while entering USA as LPR

You'll want to read this webpage in great detail-- especially the sections titled "International Travel" and "Maintaining Permanent Residence" :

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/permres.htm
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:59 pm
R J

"paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] om...
    |I am a LPR, living most part of the year in Israel. Last time I came
    | to USA, there was a discussion with an officer about my intention to
    | live permanently in USA. I was granted an entrance, but my passport
    | has been marked handwritten as
    |
    | "9 mo (nths) out, 407/Rep ADVISED"
    |
    | Does somebody know what it means, especially what is 407?

LPR means PERMANENT resident. If you live outside of the USA "most of the
year", you are not a permanent resident. It appears that you have abandoned
your domicile. The inspector marked your passport with a notation that you
could have your I-551 (green card) taken away from you. 407 refers to the
form (I-407) that is used.

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.749 / Virus Database: 501 - Release Date: 9/1/2004

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 4:38 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R J
news:[email protected] om...The inspector marked your passport with a notation that you
could have your I-551 (green card) taken away from you. 407 refers to the
form (I-407) that is used.
An I-407 is used by an alien to willingly abandon their LPR status not when the status is taken away. When someone who doesn't really live here seeks entry from foreign, they can be given a choice between surrendering the card willingly by completing an I-407 or be ordered to appear before an immigration judge to prove that they live in the US, haven't violated the terms of their LPR status, and show why they should be allowed to keep the card.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:52 am
J. J. Farrell

news:[email protected] om...
    > I am a LPR, living most part of the year in Israel.

That's a self-contradictory statement.

> Last time I came
    > to USA, there was a discussion with an officer about my intention to
    > live permanently in USA. I was granted an entrance, but my passport
    > has been marked handwritten as
    > "9 mo (nths) out, 407/Rep ADVISED"
    > Does somebody know what it means, especially what is 407?

To be an LPR you are required to normally and permanently reside in
the USA. The mark indicates that you have been advised that you don't
appear to be meeting the requirements for an LPR. There's a good chance
you'll officially cease to be an LPR if you spend that sort of time
outside the USA again without proper authorization.

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about

the thing is that you don't need proper authorization if you are traveling outside the U.S. for a period under a year. You need a re-entry permit for trips lasting over a year and less than two. So, what kind of proper authorization are we talking about?
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 4:22 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucyMO
the thing is that you don't need proper authorization if you are traveling outside the U.S. for a period under a year. You need a re-entry permit for trips lasting over a year and less than two. So, what kind of proper authorization are we talking about?
If the officer believes that your place of general abode without regard to intent is no longer within the United States you are subject to proceedings before an immigration judge. If you move your residence outside the US, then you need a reentry permit to stay out for up to 2 years.

If they stay out from between 6 months to one year they can still be setup to appear before the judge or complete an I-407 to abandon the status.

Making an appearance by dropping by for a visit once a year is not enough to maintain LPR status.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

Paul, how did they know that you were 9 months abroad? Did they asked you - or did they know it from their computer database?
I assumed that you had to pass the secondary inspection. If you describe your experience at the port of entry in more details I am sure that you will get better advices from other forum participants. It is important to know whether inspector knew about your previous trips. If not, than your chances are better.

Well, it will be tough for you to keep your LPR status. It looks like that all depatures and arrivals are known. So, next time you will need to explain about your new absence.

May be, you should stay abroad less than 180 days and return to USA. But, it also does not help, because they can see in the database all your trips.

I assume that you used to visit USA once a year to maintain your Green Card. But, it does not work anymore - as you have experienced. After 9/11 all arrivals and departures are recorded. Actually, this coming once a year was never allowed, but nobody took much care about it. However, now is tougher.