Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Manufacturing jobs return on U.S. economys wish list

Manufacturing jobs return on U.S. economys wish list

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 7:47 pm
George Orwell

Default Manufacturing jobs return on U.S. economys wish list

Last paragraph seems to relate directly to the on-going thread: "Mexico Now Feels Pinch of Cheap Labor"

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/7546202.htm

Im checking out the Christmas ornaments at the tree nursery. The air smells of warm cider and resounds with familiar tunes. The line of ornaments, which went by the brand Midwest America, reflects the tastes of yesteryear.

I pick up a Santa - a dignified, slimmed-down version - and look under his boot. The "Made in" label reads, "China." I examine a boy on a sled. Again, "China."

Simple wooden boxes sit stacked on a nearby table - each bearing a painted scene of a fisherman in a rowboat. If some woodsman in Michigans Upper Peninsula didnt craft this box, I think, Ill be darned. I am darned. "China," it says on the bottom.

And that is the label on nearly every Christmas item Ive seen this season. "China" on the holly tablecloth. "China" on the candlesticks. "China" on the china.

The Chinese seem to be making nearly all the things we buy, which means were not making them. Some 3.1 million manufacturing jobs have disappeared since March 1998 - a big chunk of them moving to China. Even jobs that go to Mexico end up in China. Chinas labor is so cheap, factories are leaving Mexico and heading west.

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:30 am
Jeff Davis

Default Re: Manufacturing jobs return on U.S. economys wish list

If you want to see people who couldn't care less about their children's
future, go to a wal-mart.

"George Orwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Last paragraph seems to relate directly to the on-going thread: "Mexico
Now Feels Pinch of Cheap Labor"
    > http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/7546202.htm
    > Im checking out the Christmas ornaments at the tree nursery. The air
smells of warm cider and resounds with familiar tunes. The line of
ornaments, which went by the brand Midwest America, reflects the tastes of
yesteryear.
    > I pick up a Santa - a dignified, slimmed-down version - and look under his
boot. The "Made in" label reads, "China." I examine a boy on a sled. Again,
"China."
    > Simple wooden boxes sit stacked on a nearby table - each bearing a painted
scene of a fisherman in a rowboat. If some woodsman in Michigans Upper
Peninsula didnt craft this box, I think, Ill be darned. I am darned.
"China," it says on the bottom.
    > And that is the label on nearly every Christmas item Ive seen this season.
"China" on the holly tablecloth. "China" on the candlesticks. "China" on the
china.
    > The Chinese seem to be making nearly all the things we buy, which means
were not making them. Some 3.1 million manufacturing jobs have disappeared
since March 1998 - a big chunk of them moving to China. Even jobs that go to
Mexico end up in China. Chinas labor is so cheap, factories are leaving
Mexico and heading west.

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

drvr1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Manufacturing jobs return on U.S. economys wish list

The world joins
in suffering
and toils by the same greed
that changes a child to bunch of coins
in china

You see a man white as snow
and he is told to be happy for
under the blue, he may labor
he is with the proud and the few
unlike those red and yellow cheap people
in china
fools you are if you believe our world would last
if we empty the oceans
and grind the body of the earth
all for profit and all for sale
fools you are if you believe
life can hide in your corner of the earth

you will live or you will die
not alone but with the people
in china.

Originally posted by George Orwell
Last paragraph seems to relate directly to the on-going thread: "Mexico Now Feels Pinch of Cheap Labor"

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/7546202.htm

Im checking out the Christmas ornaments at the tree nursery. The air smells of warm cider and resounds with familiar tunes. The line of ornaments, which went by the brand Midwest America, reflects the tastes of yesteryear.

I pick up a Santa - a dignified, slimmed-down version - and look under his boot. The "Made in" label reads, "China." I examine a boy on a sled. Again, "China."

Simple wooden boxes sit stacked on a nearby table - each bearing a painted scene of a fisherman in a rowboat. If some woodsman in Michigans Upper Peninsula didnt craft this box, I think, Ill be darned. I am darned. "China," it says on the bottom.

And that is the label on nearly every Christmas item Ive seen this season. "China" on the holly tablecloth. "China" on the candlesticks. "China" on the china.

The Chinese seem to be making nearly all the things we buy, which means were not making them. Some 3.1 million manufacturing jobs have disappeared since March 1998 - a big chunk of them moving to China. Even jobs that go to Mexico end up in China. Chinas labor is so cheap, factories are leaving Mexico and heading west.