Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Looking to work in the USA using an EAD

Looking to work in the USA using an EAD

Old Sep 24th 2019, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

MrAtkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to work in the USA using an EAD

Hi all,

Im new to the forum so please bare with me if im either not asking the right question, missing things out or have missed the answer already.

My wife and i have a dream of moving us and our two small children to the USA to be closer to friends. My wife has a couple of degree type qualifications, photography and business with a level 1 football (uk football not soccer) coaching qualification.

I dont have any specific qualifications but have the higher paid job as everything i know is self taught.

We ave been told that we could apply for an EAD instead of a visa and then look for work when we arrive. My questions are:

Q1, is this true, can myself and my wife apply for the EAD and then find work when we are in the USA, or do we need a job waiting to apply for this?

Q2, If im the only one that applies for the EAD does my wife and children need to get the L2 Visa?

Q3, If i was to secure a job but the company wont sponsor me, am i still able to apply for a visa and if so which visa would i need to go for?

Again apologies if these have been asked before but would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Jake
Old Sep 24th 2019, 8:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to work in the USA using an EAD

Hi and welcome to BE.

Q1 - No, this is not true. You can't apply for an EAD. The EAD is applied for by a trailing spouse in some work visa scenarios, but not all.

Q2 - irrelevant because Q1 was not true.

Q3 - You can't secure a job without the company sponsoring you for some type of work visa.

Read the article in our Wiki called "Pulaski's Ways...". It lists all the available visas to the USA. See if you think you fit any of them and come on back to discuss.

Rene
Old Sep 24th 2019, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt the level one coaching qualification would get much right now, but it might be worth pursuing further qualifications and contacting the FA for any opportunities. This could be a possible route over, I'd imagine with the O1 Visa eventually? Or maybe even one of the Employment Based Green Cards - wouldn't imagine it would be quick, but lots of coaches in MLS for example come from other countries (not just the Managers). The FA would likely know of any career path's that would support such a move.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The FA Level 1 in Coaching Football, leading to the achievement of the 1st4sport Level 1 Award in Coaching Football qualification, is the first stepping-stone on the core coaching pathway. It will provide you with an introduction to coaching the game and working with players from under 7 to open age.
Not sure that is relevant, I was thinking initially Level 1 was the highest.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrAtkinson
I dont have any specific qualifications but have the higher paid job as everything i know is self taught.
What is your job?
Old Sep 24th 2019, 11:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Im new to the forum so please bare with me if im either not asking the right question, missing things out or have missed the answer already.

My wife and i have a dream of moving us and our two small children to the USA to be closer to friends. My wife has a couple of degree type qualifications, photography and business with a level 1 football (uk football not soccer) coaching qualification.
Unfortunately, you and thousands of others have the same dream. You might, just might, have a way to realize this dream but it is not as easy as you think.

We ave been told that we could apply for an EAD instead of a visa and then look for work when we arrive. My questions are:
Curious WHO told you this? An immigration attorney? Did you read it on the USCIS website or perhaps the London US Consulate website? Or was it the common man on the street or a friend or browsing through the internet?

Q1, is this true, can myself and my wife apply for the EAD and then find work when we are in the USA, or do we need a job waiting to apply for this?
An EAD cannot be applied by just anyone. It is a derivative benefit.

Q2, If im the only one that applies for the EAD does my wife and children need to get the L2 Visa?
Do you know what an L visa is? It is a visa obtained through the US Consulate/Embassy and is applied for you by your employer who has a US subsidiary business that you are being transferred. You need to have a degree and/or a good number of years of work experience.

Unless your wife wants to spend a hefty sum of money to open a coaching business here in the US, that avenue is closed to you and she.

Q3, If i was to secure a job but the company wont sponsor me, am i still able to apply for a visa and if so which visa would i need to go for?
Absolutely not. You need a company to sponsor you for a work visa. There are several but most require a degree or the equivalent in work experience. The H visa, might be a way in, but if you are successful finding a company willing to sponsor you, two things you need to know:

1. It is a lottery system. More applicants apply then there are yearly H visas available.
2. If you got chosen, your wife cannot work ... period.

Again apologies if these have been asked before but would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Jake
You were given the link to Pulaski's Way ... read it and see where you or she might fit in.

Old Sep 25th 2019, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your replies, the information is so very helpful. I find when it comes to things like this i can read and read and read until im blue in the face and still not quite understand everything but asking general people the same questions gives the answers that make sense. Although i dont have a degree and all being self taught, my job is currently in Operations for a national charity in the UK and past jobs have been auditing and in insurance.

Im just going to keep plodding along and applying for roles and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice
Old Sep 25th 2019, 11:32 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Although i dont have a degree
Im just going to keep plodding along and applying for roles and see what happens.
Without a degree, you are not eligible for a work visa unless you are starting your own business and have $$$ to invest.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Not much point if your job isn't eligible for a visa anyway. Any chance of finding a job (auditing maybe?) in an international company, working there for a bit and then requesting a transfer? Then you wouldn't need a degree.

Have you read the Wiki article mentioned above, if so are any of those routes looking possible?
Old Sep 25th 2019, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I have read through the list on the Pulaski Simplified and i think the best option for me is using hotels. I used to be an auditor for two Marriott international hotels which have hotels around the world and i still know a few people so i will take a look there.

Thanks all
Old Sep 25th 2019, 1:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Without a degree, you are not eligible for a work visa unless you are starting your own business and have $$$ to invest.
Wouldn't the below scenario be a means to an end?

He could if he worked for a charity organization such as "Make A Wish Foundation" in the UK and can be transferred to one of their US offices. His years of work experience in that area should provide him the ability to get an L visa.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Guess the next logical question is why do you want to move to the US?

It's not all it's cracked up to be. Definitely pros and cons.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Both myself and my wife have always wanted to move to the US. We are both in our twenties and our kids are still really little and so thought now would be a good time to put things in motion. I get that it has its ups and downs but so does everywhere.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Both myself and my wife have always wanted to move to the US. We are both in our twenties and our kids are still really little and so thought now would be a good time to put things in motion. I get that it has its ups and downs but so does everywhere.
Sure but it's also worth noting, work life balance in America is significantly worse than the UK in general. Barely any time off, you have to pay for your healthcare. Kids have to go to school and participate in active-shooter drills incase their school gets shot up. Doesn't seem all that ideal.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 4:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in your 20's, with no degree, I doubt you have the number of years under your belt that is required in lieu of a degree. Your best bet would be to have you or your wife start working for a UK company that has a presence in the USA, and then after a year or more, look into a transfer.

You need to look at this as at least a 5- year plan.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.