Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

looking to obtain an E2 Visa to the US

looking to obtain an E2 Visa to the US

Old May 28th 2007, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Mikeycartmen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking to obtain an E2 Visa to the US

My Wife and I are from the UK and want to go to Florida to buy an existing business, with a view of staying permanently in the US. We have investigated the EB5 Visa and are now looking intro the E2 visa. It seems so difficult whichever of the 2 visa options you go down……./!

Has anyone out there done what we are looking to do…. I have a business to sell in the UK, my house to sell and then we can secure the business we want and then wait a few months for the EB2 visa to come through.

Anyone made the move yet, any recommendations, warnings or experiences that may help me please? Including how to get a US bank account and can you buy a car on an international driving licence?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Mikeycartmen
Old May 29th 2007, 2:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking to obtain an E2 Visa to the US

Originally Posted by Mikeycartmen
My Wife and I are from the UK and want to go to Florida to buy an existing business, with a view of staying permanently in the US. We have investigated the EB5 Visa and are now looking intro the E2 visa. It seems so difficult whichever of the 2 visa options you go down……./!
EB-5 will cost a lot more but gets you a green card
E.2 never gets you permanent residency (green card) but require less investment .... children have to leave at aged 21.
Has anyone out there done what we are looking to do…. I have a business to sell in the UK, my house to sell and then we can secure the business we want and then wait a few months for the EB2 visa to come through.:
A few thousand every year ....
Wait a few months ..thats a joke ..more like 9 months the Londonn embassy works very slowly ..
Anyone made the move yet, any recommendations, warnings or experiences that may help me please? Including how to get a US bank account and can you buy a car on an international driving licence?
Have an idea of the sort of business you want to go into ...
Not lawns, property management or pool service ...they are done to death ..
be aware lot of trades require a florida licence ..
Florida is full of scammers .. beware of business owners ..brokers ..realtors ..
trust nobody ...
Usa a proper lawyer ..not a consultant for visa

Walk into a bank to open an account ..recommend Wachovia ...
you can do that on a Visa Waiver ...

only requirement to buy a car .. Money ...
An international licence has no value here ..your UK licence is good ..

Insurance is very expensive .. take your test ASAP .is will reduce the price ..

A E-2 florida forum is at ..www.thefloridaforums.com
Old May 29th 2007, 3:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got the dosh, get the EB5, E2 is a crock of crap.
Old May 29th 2007, 3:42 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you've got the dosh, get the EB5, E2 is a crock of crap.
There is a new bill that may pass ..that will make it far better
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-2310
Old May 29th 2007, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Hi Ray

I read your comments on the EB5 thread under Aquaman. I appreciate your pointers for me here too.

We are looking to open a Gas station...... hard to do in the UK but looks a viable investment in the US (obviously have to find the right one)

The only benefit I see on the E2 route V EB5 is that I do not have to initially tie up $550,000 for the EB5, also I spotted the link you added later about legislation that may allow E2 investors to go down the green card route without obtaining an EB5. However I know that I may eventually have to apply for an EB5 visa anyway..... Like most people, I don't want to tie my money for longer than I have to (on the EB5 route), so the Seattle hotel project I think is saying you need to tie up your money for longer than this?

Ray, I presume you are also from the UK.... which way did you go or are you going with the Visa?

I have however read that with the E2 route, that some business owners will not wait for you to obtain this, so pull out of a deal you have sorted.

You say trust no one when buying a business, so I appreciate your help on this one, I understand you can ask a broker to act for you (not the same one who is selling the business)..... are you saying a lawyer is better at this than maybe a broker? I agree, I don't want to be stitched up. I have read a few buyers guide books on buying a gas station, that have been very helpful..... have you had bad experiences buying a business yourself? I have heard there are sharks out there too.

With regards to using a Lawyer for the Visa, I have been recommended one in the US by Aquaman (charges by the hour) and have also spoken to the UK company recommended in the literature I received from American Life (on the EB5 enquiry) Not made my decision about which way to go yet.

Can you only set up a US bank account in person? I thought you may be able to do one by mail?

I appreciate your help on the above.

Regards

Mikeycartmen
Old May 29th 2007, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Hi Bob

You have given your opinion on E2 V EB5....... can you please expand a little more as to why in your opinion it is a crock of crap. Thanks

Regards

Mikeycartmen
Old May 29th 2007, 1:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
There is a new bill that may pass ..that will make it far better
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-2310
Until it passes, I won't hold out much hope, this is the government at work afterall
Old May 29th 2007, 2:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Mikeycartmen
Hi Bob

You have given your opinion on E2 V EB5....... can you please expand a little more as to why in your opinion it is a crock of crap. Thanks

Regards

Mikeycartmen
E2 - your business goes under, you retire etc, then you currently have to leave the country ASAP.

If you've got kids, they have to leave at 21 or get own visa, and as they won't be LPR's if they decide to study here, they will more than likely be charged international student rates which is even more expensive than in state.

Currently no direct route to greencard, which means no direct route to getting citizenship, which is the only way to prevent you getting deported, which can happen easily enough....plus you get screwed over on the taxes, LPR's are marginally better, but you really get punted until you get US citizenship, especially inheritance taxes, capital gains etc.

Oh, and E2 visas are a lot tougher to get these days, especially out of London, and they don't seem to be given for nearly as long.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:29 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking to open a Gas station......

I believe that because of the terrorist threat only US citizens are allowed to own gas stations.

also in 2009 new laws come into effect regarding gas station tanks underground. A lot of gas stations are being sold prior to this because the tanks will have to be replaced at great cost.

Q: The station I am looking to buy has old steel tanks. Can we obtain financing?
A: Yes, however, the site most likely will need to have the tanks replaced with fiberglass tanks in the upcoming years due to new EPA regulations that will take place in 2009.

Last edited by vegas; Jun 5th 2007 at 2:38 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:47 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by vegas
I believe that because of the terrorist threat only US citizens are allowed to own gas stations..
Got any links to back that ...
Old Jun 5th 2007, 3:21 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Got any links to back that ...
After further research it seems I am totally wrong about that.

when we were in the UK we looked at getting a franchise of a major chain. They stated you needed to be a USC. So I understood that this was the case across the board. It appears that it was their policy and is not a federal requirement. It was just after 9/11 so I guess everyone went overboard.

The underground tanks problem is still valid though
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vegas
After further research it seems I am totally wrong about that.

when we were in the UK we looked at getting a franchise of a major chain. They stated you needed to be a USC. So I understood that this was the case across the board. It appears that it was their policy and is not a federal requirement. It was just after 9/11 so I guess everyone went overboard.

The underground tanks problem is still valid though
Hi Vegas.

I have been doing a lot of reading up on buying/ leasing a gas station. many of the gas stations already have updated tanks and those that dont seem to be advertised at reduced prices.

Looks like you are already out in the US. That makes thins a lot easier.

My wife and I would love to go to the US on the EB5 but tying up $550,000 initially is a little crippling, so we plan on going to the US on en EB2 visa and say after a year, apply for an EB5. believe this can be done?

I have heard from some people that owners won't always wait for the time it takes for us over here to get the EB2 visa.

Mikeycartmen

Last edited by Mikeycartmen; Jun 12th 2007 at 6:41 pm. Reason: mis spelling