Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Looking to go to the US this summer

Looking to go to the US this summer

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice
Default Looking to go to the US this summer

for 3 months under the VWP.

Am very concerned about being knocked back after reading several stories about people refused entry.

I'm aiming to go from the 21st June to 14th September which is just under 90 days.

I spent already a month in the States in February, but due to the snow saw pretty much nothing there.

Main reason for the visit is to spend time with my girlfriend, but I'll be staying at a mutual friend's house for most of the time. Mainly because she (my girlfriend) has children and we want to take things carefully for them.

Anyway, I am so worried if I get to passport control they'll knock me back, thinking I am going to overstay my welcome etc. I was planning on saying my friends invited me back to the States in the summer time when there is no snow so I could actually see America, or something along those lines.

Am I just being paranoid?

Last edited by blargins; Apr 3rd 2010 at 9:45 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:54 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to go to the US this summer

Originally Posted by blargins

Am very concerned about being knocked back after reading several stories about people refused entry.

I'm aiming to go from the 21st June to 14th September which is just under 90 days.

I spent already a month in the States in February, but due to the snow saw pretty much nothing there.

Main reason for the visit is to spend time with my girlfriend, but I'll be staying at a mutual friend's house for most of the time. Mainly because she (my girlfriend) has children and we want to take things carefully for them.

Anyway, I am so worried if I get to passport control they'll knock me back, thinking I am going to overstay my welcome etc. I was planning on saying my friends invited me back to the States in the summer time when there is no snow so I could actually see America, or something along those lines.

While there's never a guarantee, it sounds like you're complying with the terms of the VWP so it'll probably be ok. As is always the case, answer any questions asked truthfully at POE but don't volunteer any additional information above and beyond what's been asked.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Thanks mate. If they so no to me, I'll tell them you said it's ok, and they'll let me in again
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:19 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

As always, the more evidence you can bring of ties to the UK, the better. Something to show you have a home to return to would be good, as would evidence of a job, etc.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:24 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
As always, the more evidence you can bring of ties to the UK, the better. Something to show you have a home to return to would be good, as would evidence of a job, etc.
Or maybe just slip a couple of sprouts inside the passport - for their "trouble".
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:24 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
Or maybe just slip a couple of sprouts inside the passport - for their "trouble".
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, I'll slip in a couple of snails seeing as i live in France
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:20 pm
Septic Sprout

Ok, I'll slip in a couple of snails seeing as i live in France
You seriously expect that to work...?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
You seriously expect that to work...?
He's being sarcastic
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

That's probably because pretty much the only people who post stories about the VWP are the ones who have either actually been denied entry or who think that they might be denied entry. The thousands of people who successfully enter the US every day using the VWP tend not bother posting here.

Probably ...
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
He's being sarcastic
... and so was tonrob ...
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Should I try frogs legs as well then? Maybe a bottle of plonk too?

Or the promise of military back up in Iraq? Nah, that's going too far.....
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
That's probably because pretty much the only people who post stories about the VWP are the ones who have either actually been denied entry or who think that they might be denied entry. The thousands of people who successfully enter the US every day using the VWP tend not bother posting here.

Probably ...
You make good points. It's always the extremes we see that post that type of thing.

I will sleep easy tonight.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:40 pm
Septic Sprout

Should I try frogs legs as well then? Maybe a bottle of plonk too?

Or the promise of military back up in Iraq? Nah, that's going too far.....
That last one might possibly swing it. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You should expect to be asked what you're going to be doing for 3 months. (90 days actually)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.