London Embassy is hilarious (not)

Old Jan 5th 2005, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

kellwie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: London Embassy is hilarious (not)

Originally Posted by mikeythemikey
You are wrong and sadly this misinformation is posted so many times on these forums.

Its not clearly spelt out, that’s the problem, its open to misinterpretation. It clearly says:

'Embassy in London accepts I-130 petitions from U.S. Citizens who reside in our jurisdiction.'

RESIDE, that means you must show that you reside here, FLR shows that you CAN reside here, but further evidence such as NI number, P45, bank account details, Utility bills etc is needed to show you RESIDE. ILR is not a MUST

As I understand it, FLR and LLR are two different stamps. Limited is not the same as Further and is normally assigned to students staying here for example.
As I understand it, the terminiology LLR replaced FLR sometime this year. From reading American expat boards it seems all the recent spousal visas read Limited Leave to Enter/Remain rather than Further. Also, my own Unmarried Parter visa which I received in June reads Limited Leave to Remain. From what myself and others have gleaned it is purely a change in terminology, not some designation about your status here. This topic has been discussed in depth and visas compared, etc. and it has nothing to do with whether you are here as a student or a spouse. Limited leave to enter/remain is for everyone issued with a visa with an expiry. Visas that read Further leave to enter/remain are no longer given.

As to whether my first post is wrong, I was just quoting the embassy website. Even though it says something about "residing in our jurisdiction" which, I agree, IS kind of unclear, the site goes on further to clarify who does NOT qualify, which includes people with limited leave to remain. I don't understand how listing who does not qualify is at all unclear.

I realize that some people with FLR/LLR are being allowed to DCF. It seems like the rules are being applied unfairly, which does suck. However, you can't be surprised when you are rejected for the reasons stated, as those are the rules.

Last edited by kellwie; Jan 5th 2005 at 12:29 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

mikeythemikey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: London Embassy is hilarious (not)

Originally Posted by kellwie
As I understand it, the terminiology LLR replaced FLR sometime this year. From reading American expat boards it seems all the recent spousal visas read Limited Leave to Enter/Remain rather than Further. Also, my own Unmarried Parter visa which I received in June reads Limited Leave to Remain. From what myself and others have gleaned it is purely a change in terminology, not some designation about your status here. This topic has been discussed in depth and visas compared, etc. and it has nothing to do with whether you are here as a student or a spouse. Limited leave to enter/remain is for everyone issued with a visa with an expiry. Visas that read Further leave to enter/remain are no longer given.

As to whether my first post is wrong, I was just quoting the embassy website. Even though it says something about "residing in our jurisdiction" which, I agree, IS kind of unclear, the site goes on further to clarify who does NOT qualify, which includes people with limited leave to remain. I don't understand how listing who does not qualify is at all unclear.

I realize that some people with FLR/LLR are being allowed to DCF. It seems like the rules are being applied unfairly, which does suck. However, you can't be surprised when you are rejected for the reasons stated, as those are the rules.
It does appear that those with LLR are being accepted too, however, most of the posts I have read where someone with an FLR being rejected has been cases where the applicants have been married or living in the UK for a very short time.

Its nothing personal, but so many people on these boards KEEP posting that you cant DCF if you have an FLR and the you need a ILR - clearly and I think we all agree, that simply isnt true.

FLR didnt turn into LLR as far as I am aware. Here is a quote from the Home Office website which suggests the two are distinctly different.

Limited Leave to Remain is the permission an individual needs to stay in the UK and is granted in line with the duration of an individuals Immigration Employment Document (IED). An IED includes:

Work Permits and Work Permit Approval Letters
Sectors Based Scheme Work Permits (SBS)
Highly Skilled Migrant Programme Approval Letters (HSMP)
Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme Work Cards (SAWS)
Home Office Approved Training or Work Experience Scheme Permits and Approval Letters
From 1 April 2004 an application for an Immigration Employment Document (e.g. a work permit) will no longer act as an individuals application for Further Leave to Remain. Individuals will have to complete a new, separate form FLR (IED) available from this website to apply for leave to remain in the UK.

For group applications approved under the Sports and Entertainment criteria of the work permit arrangements, each individual member of the group will have to apply for their own leave to remain on a separate FLR(IED) form with the fee for each application made, unless the applicant is exempt.