Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Living / Working in US after Canada

Living / Working in US after Canada

Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:48 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living / Working in US after Canada

I am a British Passport holder and hold permanent residency cards for Canada where I have been living and working since November last year.

I lived and worked in the US from 2000 - 2003 on an L1 Visa and went back to England in 2003 (in hindsight we wish we'd have stayed in the US but there ya go)

I was chatting to someone last week who said when I have been in Canada for 3 years it is very easy to be able to live and work in the US from there onwards.

I didn't believe him but thought I'd ask the experts on here how true that is and what the method/process is in case he was actually talking some sense !!!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living / Working in US after Canada

Originally Posted by Animal
I am a British Passport holder and hold permanent residency cards for Canada where I have been living and working since November last year.

I lived and worked in the US from 2000 - 2003 on an L1 Visa and went back to England in 2003 (in hindsight we wish we'd have stayed in the US but there ya go)

I was chatting to someone last week who said when I have been in Canada for 3 years it is very easy to be able to live and work in the US from there onwards.

I didn't believe him but thought I'd ask the experts on here how true that is and what the method/process is in case he was actually talking some sense !!!
Well, it depends, I guess, on how you could qualify to live and work in the USA. Is he talking about becoming a Canadian citizen? Is he talking about being eligible for a TN visa? That's the only thing I can think of which is available to Canadian citizens that is different from any other visa availble, which are the same for everyone.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Yup the TN visa I think...
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:11 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses. Guess I best do a little searching and digging to find out what a TN visa is
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:29 pm
I said what ?!

So basically if I chose to get Canadian Citizenship and I was qualified and offered a job in the US that was on the approved professions listed in NAFTA I could enter the US up to a maximum stay of three years ?

Could my wife and children join me for that time ? If so I'm guessing my wife couldn't work.

Is it frowned upon if the US company started a green card process in that 3 years.

This is years away if I'm actually going to go through the process, I'm just really interested now
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

TN (NAFTA) visa is only of use if you are a Canadian citizen and if you have only lived in Canada since last year you can't apply for citizenship yet
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

The company could start GC process but depending on category could take from months to several years. Your wife will not be able to work unless she gets her own TN visa however your family should be able to live with you
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:57 pm
I said what ?!

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
TN (NAFTA) visa is only of use if you are a Canadian citizen and if you have only lived in Canada since last year you can't apply for citizenship yet
I'm only thinking long term 2-3 years anyway so would be close to eligibility for Canadian Citizenship by that time.

My wife would move back to the US tomorrow but since I moved back the UK in 2003 and moved companies that option isn't available so looking at other possibilities in 2-3 years.

Thanks
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
So basically if I chose to get Canadian Citizenship and I was qualified and offered a job in the US that was on the approved professions listed in NAFTA I could enter the US up to a maximum stay of three years ?

Could my wife and children join me for that time ? If so I'm guessing my wife couldn't work.

Is it frowned upon if the US company started a green card process in that 3 years.

This is years away if I'm actually going to go through the process, I'm just really interested now
TN-1 visas are issued for 1 year but can be renewed indefinitely.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michael
TN-1 visas are issued for 1 year but can be renewed indefinitely.
Thought it had recently changed to 3 years from initial issue?