Living on $12,000 per year

Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living on $12,000 per year

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...?wa=wsignin1.0

If you Google you can find other pages on this too. I thought it may be of help to some new expats because they can't get credit!

My rent is more than $12,000 a year, so I'm f****** to start with.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:06 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living on $12,000 per year

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

If you Google you can find other pages on this too. I thought it may be of help to some new expats because they can't get credit!

Interesting article - not quite sure I understand the idea of going to a food bank and then giving money to the church; wouldn't it make more sense to spend that money on food and not go to the food bank as much and leave the food for someone else who needs it more (maybe there's some logic there somewhere in it that I don't know about).

I'd be screwed too with the mortgage being double the amount she's surviving on.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:54 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that I have a problem with is relying on her babysitting jobs to get her laundry done. You can call me a hardass, but if you choose to do certain things then you have to figure on all of the consequences (not counting emergencies that nobody can forsee) and NOT rely on the kindness of strangers to help you out. When they do it's an unexpected pleasure, but not one to count on. Aside from that she's doing very disciplined things which I am sure are not easy. I can empathize with much of what she is going through.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:26 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another one-it IS a sobering thought when you are a middle aged suddenly single woman.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...urAmIPoor.aspx
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all

I thought it may be of help to some new expats because they can't get credit!

I dont know if were lucky or not but we were able to get a mortgage before we even arrived here in Houston and 3 months later we got a credit card with a low rate.
I applied online to Wells Fargo for a mortgage, explained that we were coming over on a H1B visa and they gave us the mortgage.

Wells Fargo have a special deal for people like us who are moving over, I cant fault them they have been very good for us.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:00 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I lived on $12,800 a year...... back in 1993. Even had health insurance - 100% coverage for $800 a year.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:03 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I lived on $12,800 a year...... back in 1993. Even had health insurance - 100% coverage for $800 a year.
were you teaching?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:17 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats very sobering. $12,000 wouldn't pay my rent for a quarter here in L.A.

I don't think getting credit is the answer, as it all needs paying back (with interest) in the end.

Next time I'm at the pump and complaining at the cost of gas I'll remember I'm lucky I have the ability to buy it in the first place.

a very humbling read

I thought it may be of help to some new expats because they can't get credit!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:03 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I don't feel sorry for her at all and am not humbled

my wife put herself through law school in 4 years whilst making 35-40k working full time and going to school at night

unless this woman is in med school I doubt the course she is doing is any harder than law school...

donating to the church whilst going to the food bank is also retarded

shes practicing financial self-flagellation
Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:30 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

The missus spends more than that on shoes!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:55 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you also a lawyer by any chance?

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
donating to the church whilst going to the food bank is also retarded
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:12 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
Are you also a lawyer by any chance?
nope

i'm in software sales, don't have a college degree and have strong opinions about things that are completely illogical, like donating money to charity when you are a charity case yourself

My wife is public defender working for the metro govt making about 40% of what she could do in a private law firm/private practice but its what she likes to do...
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
nope

i'm in software sales, don't have a college degree and have strong opinions about things that are completely illogical, like donating money to charity when you are a charity case yourself

My wife is public defender working for the metro govt making about 40% of what she could do in a private law firm/private practice but its what she likes to do...
She's paying $389 per quarter for health insurance! I think I might become a student. I am currently paying $1250 a quarter...
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

As part of a systematic review of my finances to evaluate whether I should move back to the US, I used MS Excel and Quicken to calculate what my yearly/monthly spending was on essentials in the US vs what I spend now in the UK.

My US expenses actually added up to $1254 per month, which is not too far off $12,000 a year. That's with a $700 pcm mortgage - there are rental apartements in the same area for $300-$400 pcm and houses for two thirds of my house value, so conceivably it is do-able (depending on where you live, of course). Not easy, but do-able. And of course it just takes one financial or health disaster to send you under.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
As part of a systematic review of my finances to evaluate whether I should move back to the US, I used MS Excel and Quicken to calculate what my yearly/monthly spending was on essentials in the US vs what I spend now in the UK.

My US expenses actually added up to $1254 per month, which is not too far off $12,000 a year. That's with a $700 pcm mortgage - there are rental apartements in the same area for $300-$400 pcm and houses for two thirds of my house value, so conceivably it is do-able (depending on where you live, of course). Not easy, but do-able. And of course it just takes one financial or health disaster to send you under.
So do you have a better quality of life in the UK than the states. We belive that if we were to move back to the UK we would have a harder time than living in Houston at the moment. As someone who tracks their living expenses, which would you consider to be the best place to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.