Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A little OT: Affidavit of Support for DV winner?

A little OT: Affidavit of Support for DV winner?

Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A little OT: Affidavit of Support for DV winner?

Hi All,

Does a DV Lottery winner need to submit an Affidavit of Support? If so, which one...I-134 or I-864? And, can the sponsor be an LPR in the USA or does it have to be a USC?

Thanks!
Rene
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little OT: Affidavit of Support for DV winner?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi All,

Does a DV Lottery winner need to submit an Affidavit of Support? If so, which one...I-134 or I-864? And, can the sponsor be an LPR in the USA or does it have to be a USC?

Thanks!
Rene
Hi Rene,

I found this on the state department's website, looks like it's the I-134 not the I-864. I know for the I-864 you can be USC or LPR, as long as you are domiciled in the US. Not sure for the I-134 though I would think it's the same rules.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_1328.html

"Do applicants who are applying for an immigrant visa in a visa category that does not require the I-864 Affidavit of Support, such as the diversity immigrant visa, need to meet the public charge provisions of Section 213A of the INA?

No. Consular officers will review immigrant visa applicants whose visa categories do not require the I-864 under the public charge guidelines in Section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The sponsor will need to show income at 100 percent of the federal poverty guidelines for household size, not the 125 percent required under Section 213A of the INA.

Should diversity (DV) or returning resident (SB) applicants use the I-864 or the I-134?

They should use the I-134. The I-864 can only be used in the specified categories (most family-based and certain employment-based cases). All other applicants must use the I-134 if an affidavit of support is needed."
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hcj1440
Hi Rene,

I found this on the state department's website, looks like it's the I-134 not the I-864. I know for the I-864 you can be USC or LPR, as long as you are domiciled in the US. Not sure for the I-134 though I would think it's the same rules.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_1328.html

"Do applicants who are applying for an immigrant visa in a visa category that does not require the I-864 Affidavit of Support, such as the diversity immigrant visa, need to meet the public charge provisions of Section 213A of the INA?

No. Consular officers will review immigrant visa applicants whose visa categories do not require the I-864 under the public charge guidelines in Section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The sponsor will need to show income at 100 percent of the federal poverty guidelines for household size, not the 125 percent required under Section 213A of the INA.

Should diversity (DV) or returning resident (SB) applicants use the I-864 or the I-134?

They should use the I-134. The I-864 can only be used in the specified categories (most family-based and certain employment-based cases). All other applicants must use the I-134 if an affidavit of support is needed."
Oh, thank you! I tried looking at uscis.gov but couldn't find that info. I'm wondering, for people who win the DV lottery, but don't know a soul in the USA....how do they find a sponsor!?

Thanks again,
Rene
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, thank you! I tried looking at uscis.gov but couldn't find that info. I'm wondering, for people who win the DV lottery, but don't know a soul in the USA....how do they find a sponsor!?

Thanks again,
Rene

Often quoted figure these days is around $25k or up. We just showed 'em the deeds to one of our properties and a valuation from a realtor, and they never ever queried it.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again,
Rene
I know, doesn't make sense does it?? My understanding is that DV winners often self-sponsor with assets, maybe even income?

ON EDIT: On second thought, probably not income. I think the CO is supposed to ascertain that the DV winner can survive for at least a little while in the US without a job.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:03 pm

I know, doesn't make sense does it?? My understanding is that DV winners often self-sponsor with assets, maybe even income?

ON EDIT: On second thought, probably not income. I think the CO is supposed to ascertain that the DV winner can survive for at least a little while in the US without a job.
Thanks again hcj. Using assets and self-sponsoring makes sense.

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:31 am
Maryanne Kehoe

WHY are the income guidelines different? It should be standard for ALL
visa categories!

Maryanne----a 125%er

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 1:08 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maryanne Kehoe
visa categories!

Maryanne----a 125%er

All animals are not equal!
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Maryanne Kehoe
visa categories!

Maryanne----a 125%er
Yes, that surprised me too. Can't remember now where I read it now.

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, that surprised me too. Can't remember now where I read it now.

Rene
Because they have no sponsors would seem to be the obvious answer.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Because they have no sponsors would seem to be the obvious answer.
Huh? You lost me. Maryanne's question was, why are the guidelines different (125% of the poverty level for marrige-based I-134 as opposed to 100% of the poverty level for DV winners I-134). And your answer is "because they have no sponsors"? I don't get it.

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

It makes perfect bureaucratic sense to me. I think it's just tied to which form is being used and they haven't all shifted over to the I-864. That's my theory.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:05 pm

It makes perfect bureaucratic sense to me. I think it's just tied to which form is being used and they haven't all shifted over to the I-864. That's my theory.
Hi hcj,

I'm getting a bit lost here. What is it that makes sense to you? If a person wins the DV lottery, is he required to have a sponsor and submit an I-134 (or even an I-864)? It doesn't makes sense to me that he would need one...what if he knows absolutely no one in the USA at all? Or doesn't even know anyone with USA PR status? It's not like a marriage-based application where there is obviously someone in the USA wanting this person to immigrate and would be willing to sponsor.

Still foggy on this topic.

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi hcj,

I'm getting a bit lost here. What is it that makes sense to you? If a person wins the DV lottery, is he required to have a sponsor and submit an I-134 (or even an I-864)? It doesn't makes sense to me that he would need one...what if he knows absolutely no one in the USA at all? Or doesn't even know anyone with USA PR status? It's not like a marriage-based application where there is obviously someone in the USA wanting this person to immigrate and would be willing to sponsor.

Still foggy on this topic.

Rene
Sorry. I had interpreted Maryanne's post to be a slight change of topic. I thought she was just saying it's unfair that some categories are subject to the 125% income requirement, whereas others are only subject to a 100% income requirement. That was the part that made bureaucratic sense to me.

As for why DV winners should need a sponsor at all, it makes bureaucratic sense to me in a different way. Somewhere is the idea that American taxpayers should not be burdened by expenses incurred by immigrants. Therefore all immigrants must have a sponsor who will be responsible for any (federal) public money spent on them. DV winners are still immigrants, hence taxpayers should not have to run the risk of having to pay for them. So even if a DV winner doesn't know a soul in the US, they should still have to have a sponsor. Unless they can qualify with assets on their own, of course. I read it as, the poor and unconnected need not apply. Because, after all, immigration is not for the benefit of the immigrant.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Also... just realized why I confused you. It's because I am confused myself. I had thought all I-134s were at 100% but looks like I was confused about that. So, that's why nothing I was saying made any sense. Sorry!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.