little bit OT: teaching?

Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

anggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really nice
Default little bit OT: teaching?

hi all.

My friend offer me to teach language(s). I am going to be a private teacher. Has anyone done this before?

My questions are:
1. Do you have any clue about how much I should ask for payment? Is it going to be hourly?
2. Is it considered a cash job, and if its not, how am i going to deal with the tax?

Any input will be appreciated. thanks!

Anggraeni
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:44 am
L D Jones

Default Re: little bit OT: teaching?

anggraeni wrote:
    >
    > hi all.
    >
    > My friend offer me to teach language(s). I am going to be a private
    > teacher. Has anyone done this before?
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1. Do you have any clue about how much I should ask for payment? Is it
    > going to be hourly?

Hourly seems fine to me. Not sure how much to charge. I currently pay
$12/hr (or so) to learn Chinese in a very small local school in NC. I
would probably expect to pay more in NYC

> 2. Is it considered a cash job, and if its not, how am i going to deal
    > with the tax?

You will have to declare the income and pay the tax. You could start at
http://www.irs.gov.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anggraeni
hi all.

My friend offer me to teach language(s). I am going to be a private teacher. Has anyone done this before?

My questions are:
1. Do you have any clue about how much I should ask for payment? Is it going to be hourly?
2. Is it considered a cash job, and if its not, how am i going to deal with the tax?

Any input will be appreciated. thanks!

Anggraeni
Guess many of your questions can be answered by the person hiring you. Is your position in a school? Will it be a private or a public school? Or will you be a tutor (not a certified teacher)? Will you be taking this position as an independent tutor and dealing with your student in their or your own home? Or in some type of institutional setting?

Rete
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

anggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really nice

thanks for the info, Rete and LD Jones.

Well I will be tutoring. I still dont know the details since the person interested in learning the languages still in vacation. I will be in touch with him again after the 20, so its my time now to find out about the system, books I might be using, and of course about the payment system too. I had experiences in tutoring back home in Indonesia though, but I dont know if its the same here or there or not.

So it might be around 12 dollar. Thats not bad. And thats for Chinese language in school? Thats great. Thats the language I will be teaching. So your input is really helpful, LD Jones, thanks.

Again, thanks for the info, friends. Have a nice day!

anggraeni
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info, Rete and LD Jones.

Well I will be tutoring. I still dont know the details since the person interested in learning the languages still in vacation. I will be in touch with him again after the 20, so its my time now to find out about the system, books I might be using, and of course about the payment system too. I had experiences in tutoring back home in Indonesia though, but I dont know if its the same here or there or not.

So it might be around 12 dollar. Thats not bad. And thats for Chinese language in school? Thats great. Thats the language I will be teaching. So your input is really helpful, LD Jones, thanks.

Again, thanks for the info, friends. Have a nice day!

anggraeni
Hi,
In the past, here in Phoenix, I taught Farsi at a local community college, non credit, once a week. The students paid the college $60 for the 6-week course, and in turn the college paid me $20/hour. I've also done private tutoring in Farsi at the rate of $25.00/hour, paid directly to me.

Teaching is extremely rewarding and you won't regret doing it. Just think how much you are broadening the horizon of your student :-))

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, Rene

anggraeni

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi,
In the past, here in Phoenix, I taught Farsi at a local community college, non credit, once a week. The students paid the college $60 for the 6-week course, and in turn the college paid me $20/hour. I've also done private tutoring in Farsi at the rate of $25.00/hour, paid directly to me.

Teaching is extremely rewarding and you won't regret doing it. Just think how much you are broadening the horizon of your student :-))

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:41 am
L D Jones

anggraeni wrote:
    >
    > thanks for the info, Rete and LD Jones.
    >
    > Well I will be tutoring. I still dont know the details since the person
    > interested in learning the languages still in vacation. I will be in
    > touch with him again after the 20, so its my time now to find out about
    > the system, books I might be using, and of course about the payment
    > system too. I had experiences in tutoring back home in Indonesia though,
    > but I dont know if its the same here or there or not.
    >
    > So it might be around 12 dollar. Thats not bad. And thats for Chinese
    > language in school? Thats great. Thats the language I will be teaching.
    > So your input is really helpful, LD Jones, thanks.

You're welcome but certainly don't take my response as the only one to
base your decision on. The school I attend is tiny (only about 12 adult
students; they set it up as a non-profit organization). I also
considered hiring a private tutor and would of course have paid more for
that. My school also could charge more and I would pay it since it is
cheaper than a university course and the teacher is a native speaker.
Try to find what is being charged in your area for courses (which you
will probably do)

We use Integrated Chinese (Simplified Character Edition) Textbook by
Ta-chung Yao and Yuehua Lin and it is quite good. I am told this series
is used by most universities around here (UNC Chapel Hill, NC State,
perhaps Duke) and probbaly others as well.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

hi LD.

just an input for you. if you have more time, i suggest you to learn the non-simplified one, you know, the traditional one. that version is still being used in Taiwan and HK, so if you can do both, thats going to be a good point for you.

Good luck with your course, again, thanks for the info.

anggraeni
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:14 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

hi LD.

just an input for you. if you have more time, i suggest you to learn the non-simplified one, you know, the traditional one. that version is still being used in Taiwan and HK, so if you can do both, thats going to be a good point for you.

anggraeni
Hi anggraeni,

I would try sending an email or PM to Scarlett Hill, she moved to Dallas and last I heard, was teaching there. I'm sure she wouldn't mind you contacting her, or visit her website:-

http://www.geocities.com/scarlett_hill/

Debbie
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

curlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nice

You should look at the local papers and colleges to see how much local tutors make in general. I know it varies by area. I am looking into tutoring my subject area (biology) in the Washington DC area - where people pay up to $30 per hour!

Good luck!

hi LD.

anggraeni
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:24 pm
Whimsical in the brainpan

Elenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a music teacher, and I had the same questions you did about what to ask people...

So, what I did was this: I called up some music teachers in the area, and asked them what they charged. I did that with some music schools, too, and that gave me a good ballpark figure.

You could certainly do the same! Find out what the market is like in your city.

Good luck! Teaching is SO much fun, isn't it?

E.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:22 am
L D Jones

anggraeni wrote:
    >
    > hi LD.
    >
    >
    >
    > just an input for you. if you have more time, i suggest you to learn the
    > non-simplified one, you know, the traditional one. that version is still
    > being used in Taiwan and HK, so if you can do both, thats going to be a
    > good point for you.
    >
    > Good luck with your course, again, thanks for the info.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering about the Traditional vs.
Simplified problem. I have heard that if one starts with Traditional it
is pretty easy to pick up Simplified later but it's not so easy the
other way around Maybe we started with Simplified because my teacher
is from mainland China

thanks again

Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks guys, i was surprised to find out how supportive you all are. thanks alot for the info, i surely will find out more about the teaching job.

god bless you all
anggraeni