Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

LIA start up without direct employees for first year

LIA start up without direct employees for first year

Old Nov 8th 2019, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Mic1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LIA start up without direct employees for first year

Hi all,

I assume that some members on the forum may have been involved with an L1 to open a new office? If so, did anyone not have any direct employees for the first year - other than the L1 visa holder of course?

Many thanks

Mic
Old Nov 11th 2019, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

vindico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LIA start up without direct employees for first year

Yes, well, sort of. L1A here. We employed a manager before submitting the visa application, quite legitimately because we didn't know how quickly the business volumes might pick up. It turned out the early months were difficult and so we got rid of him after a couple of months t cut cash burn. Then after 12 months applied for an E2 visa having been able to demonstrate investment (what the company had spent in the 12 months, etc, and got a 5 year E2. Lawyers advised there was no chance of an L1 extension given the company performance and lack of staff - it is basically essential for renewal. So if you get your L1 then you have some time to sort things out, but come renewal you will need to have demonstrated growth with employees, or seek an alternative visa.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vindico View Post
Yes, well, sort of. L1A here. We employed a manager before submitting the visa application, quite legitimately because we didn't know how quickly the business volumes might pick up. It turned out the early months were difficult and so we got rid of him after a couple of months t cut cash burn. Then after 12 months applied for an E2 visa having been able to demonstrate investment (what the company had spent in the 12 months, etc, and got a 5 year E2. Lawyers advised there was no chance of an L1 extension given the company performance and lack of staff - it is basically essential for renewal. So if you get your L1 then you have some time to sort things out, but come renewal you will need to have demonstrated growth with employees, or seek an alternative visa.
Thanks Vindico,
I thought that would be the case, we're looking at needing someone probably half way through year one, probably not from the get-go.
How are things progressing with your adventure?
Old Nov 11th 2019, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

vindico is an unknown quantity at this point

Things are going ok, thanks. The first 12 months was very tough, for a number of reasons both business and personal. But things are turning a corner and we are taking on an additional member off staff. The problem with L1 is the 12 months is not long enough to really get established. Current plan is to stay another 12 months and then move back to the UK once the office here can look after itself with remote oversight, which means a couple of staff. A big learning curve in terms of employing people, and business administration (permits, sales tax, insurances, employment law, etc) which is different from the UK, but have good accountants which helps.

What's your business?Where are you moving to? If you need accountants that can handle your UK as well as US business then I can recommend ours as they operate in both countries and as a result have been very helpful.

Visa process, both originally (and then moving myself, wife and young daughter to the US) and then the 'renewal' were extremely stressful, and expensive, and I never want to do it again. For a while I wasn't sure if it was all going to be for nothing if we ha to shut up shop here, but thankfully things turned a corner and hopefully we will now retain this foothold and grow from here. A fun experience, but stressful.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:24 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is a lot also depends on the size of the mothership entity... if it’s that’s a couple of people with little revenue it would be looked at differently to large overseas employers wanting to onshore and create jobs in the US. Not to say it can’t be done.... my experience was coming as a Director of a 2 person office in Europe to work at the parent in the NYC which had revenues in the 9 figure range.

Last edited by tht; Nov 12th 2019 at 2:27 am.