Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Leaving the US on a J1 Visa and re-entering on a Visa Waiver

Leaving the US on a J1 Visa and re-entering on a Visa Waiver

Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

travelmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving the US on a J1 Visa and re-entering on a Visa Waiver

I am currently on a J1 visa which expires May 1, 2008 it then allows me 30 days in the country travelling time. I am hoping to do a trip which lasts 6 weeks so my question is if I was to leave the country on May 1st (go to canada) would I be able to re-enter on a Visa Waiver and be entitled to the 3 months that I would be normally?

Any help greatly recieved!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:36 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the US on a J1 Visa and re-entering on a Visa Waiver

You can do it, but I'd bring those six week tickets with you to show at the border along with anything else you can bring to show that you will depart the US. It can be risky. You may also want to file an I-539 to change status to a B-2 instead.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelmonkey
I am currently on a J1 visa which expires May 1, 2008 it then allows me 30 days in the country travelling time.
It's not "travelling" time so much as it's "pack up and make arrangements to leave the US" time. It allows you 30 days *if* you are *in* the US. If you leave the day your visa expires, you have no basis on which to re-enter.

I am hoping to do a trip which lasts 6 weeks so my question is if I was to leave the country on May 1st (go to canada) would I be able to re-enter on a Visa Waiver and be entitled to the 3 months that I would be normally?
I don't believe Canada participates in the VWP... unless something has changed in the last few years. At any rate, short trips to Canada does not usually result in a resetting of the clock for visa purposes.

Ian
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

travelmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for you help guys. I think I need to phrase this better: I am a UK citizen and will be leaving the country for 4 days and my J1 will have expired on the day I leave I am actually going to the Caribbean. Then i'll be coming back to the USA to undertake in a Trek America trip and I am wondering if there are then any restrictions on returning to the US for holiday purposes right away?

I have been told that if I hand in the white card for resident visitors that I have now (the entry exit card) that is in my passport on my way out of the country. I can just fill in the green form for visitors on my way back in and enter the US on a visa waiver. I will have all of the documents showing my trip lasts for 6 weeks and i will also have a ticket back to the UK booked for when the trek finishes. Do you think this is ok?

Last edited by travelmonkey; Jan 29th 2008 at 7:48 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have let more time elapse before re-entering, but its a crap shoot, nobody can tell you for certain.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:54 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite common for J-1 to do this. It's not frowned upon as much as people stringing VWP trips together. Plane tickets help a lot.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

k1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nice

I did this in October 2001. My J1 expired on Oct 31st 2001. Left on a cruise ship from Florida on the 28th. Went on a Caribbean Cruise with a stop in Mexico. Returned to New Orleans and the Immigration guy asked if I would like to extend my J1 Status. I said no and then he stamped me with the regular VWP tourist stamp. I was leaving for the UK on Nov 18th so it worked out perfect.