Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is a leave of absence allowed with an expired EAD?

Is a leave of absence allowed with an expired EAD?

Old Feb 15th 2016, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Fifa1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is a leave of absence allowed with an expired EAD?

I'm a J-2 visa holder currently awaiting my EAD renewal. I held my initial EAD for just over 2 months due to the expiry date of the DS-2019 that EAD was tied to.

My employer has placed me on an unpaid leave of absence and is eager for me to return to work, as am I. I initially thought I'd be terminated and rehired. All my attempts to expedite renewal was rejected.

I'm due to call USCIS this week (application pending for 75 days) and I want to get the call right and get my EAD renewed ASAP. Can I say that I'm on unpaid LOA and employer wants me back? Will that jeopardise my employer in any way, in case my unpaid LOA is somehow against the rules?

Thanks for any thoughts on how to approach this.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 1:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a leave of absence allowed with an expired EAD?

Originally Posted by Fifa1
I'm due to call USCIS this week (application pending for 75 days) and I want to get the call right and get my EAD renewed ASAP. Can I say that I'm on unpaid LOA and employer wants me back?
I don't think calling USCIS will do anything for you. You can tell them whatever you want, but I doubt it will make an impression on them to expedite your EAD.

Will that jeopardise my employer in any way, in case my unpaid LOA is somehow against the rules?
Doubtful.

Thanks for any thoughts on how to approach this.
Be patient.

Rene
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think calling USCIS will do anything for you.

Rene
Thanks Rene for the reply. Last time I called USICS after 75 days of pending application, I got my approval within 12 days. It may be a coincidence, but USCIS advises applicants to notify the service centres of an approaching regulatory timeframe after 75 days of waiting. The idea being that they will then assign an officer to the case to adjudicate within the 90-day period.

I do take your point that it is more the point at which my application is, rather than what I say, that will inform any action taken by USCIS following my call.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you're not working and not being paid your "employer" is doing nothing wrong, and neither are you with respect to your authorization to work.

Whether you are in a valid visa status in the US is a different matter.

The chances of your phonecall making a scrap of difference to when your EAD is issued, is approximately zero.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Whether you are in a valid visa status in the US is a different matter.
The OP's status should be tied to that of their primary J-1, who presumably now has a new DS-2019. So long as the primary's doing everything they're supposed to, the OP's work authorization isn't a big deal (except to the OP and their employer, but you know what I mean).
Old Feb 15th 2016, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you're not working and not being paid your "employer" is doing nothing wrong, and neither are you with respect to your authorization to work.
What about if employer provides health insurance during that leave of absence?
Old Feb 15th 2016, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zerlesen
The OP's status should be tied to that of their primary J-1, who presumably now has a new DS-2019.
Correct. Visa status is in order so I do meet requirements for a renewed EAD.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fifa1
What about if employer provides health insurance during that leave of absence?
So what? The only restriction is you not working. What the employer does is irrelevant. If the employer wanted to, they could continue to pay you while you don't work. The restriction is on you working... not on what the employer does!

Ian
Old Feb 16th 2016, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
So what? The only restriction is you not working. What the employer does is irrelevant. If the employer wanted to, they could continue to pay you while you don't work. The restriction is on you working... not on what the employer does!

Ian
Okay, thanks for the opinion, much much appreciated. Helps me rest assured that nothing dodgy is happening in helping me keep a finger on the employment pulse