Lawyer fees question

Old Apr 28th 2002, 3:40 pm
Gerry

Default Lawyer fees question

Hi, Could anyone give me an estimate of the fees charged by an immigration lawyer
when handling a fiance visa application? I don`t forsee any major problems in my own
particular case, but I`d like to be prepared just in case we ever feel the need to
use such services. I`m from the UK and as yet, haven`t started the process in any
way. I know the fees will differ according to which attorney I choose, but a little
knowledge in advance would be very useful Thanks in anticipation Gerry

TEST Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.351 / Virus Database: 197 - Release
Date: 19/04/02

Old Apr 28th 2002, 5:10 pm
Vitali Korobov

Default Re: Lawyer fees question

Having gone through this experience before, I think this NG is better than any
lawyer, and it's free. You get some irrelevant crap, like when was the last time some
guy got laid, and how to marry a millionaire in this country, but most of the
material is very useful and to the point. Good luck.

"Gerry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, Could anyone give me an estimate of the fees charged by an immigration lawyer
    > when handling a fiance visa application? I don`t forsee any major problems in my
    > own particular case, but I`d like to be prepared just in
case
    > we ever feel the need to use such services. I`m from the UK and as yet, haven`t
    > started the process in any way. I know the fees will differ according to which
    > attorney I choose, but a little knowledge in advance would be very useful Thanks
    > in anticipation Gerry
    >
    >
    > TEST Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.351 / Virus Database: 197 - Release Date:
    > 19/04/02

Old Apr 28th 2002, 5:10 pm
Jeffrey Scharpf

Default Re: Lawyer fees question

Hi Gerry

Typically I see $1000 to $1500 here in the US for processing visas..

I would be hesitant to hire a lawyer unless they will charge you a minimal fee just
to look over your documents. The reason I say this is my fiance in Romania tried to
get a visitor visa last spring. I paid a lawyer $1500 and all he did was fill out the
papers. When she got to the embassy they told her the papers were out of date and she
needed to fill out some other ones.. she was rejected.. the lawyer did feel bad about
this and as a sign of good faith has since been consulting with us for our fiance
visa (we are in the process of this now) through email.. but I decided to do all the
paperwork myself with help from places like this newsgroup and the INS website.

"Gerry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, Could anyone give me an estimate of the fees charged by an immigration lawyer
    > when handling a fiance visa application? I don`t forsee any major problems in my
    > own particular case, but I`d like to be prepared just in
case
    > we ever feel the need to use such services. I`m from the UK and as yet, haven`t
    > started the process in any way. I know the fees will differ according to which
    > attorney I choose, but a little knowledge in advance would be very useful Thanks
    > in anticipation Gerry
    >
    >
    > TEST Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.351 / Virus Database: 197 - Release Date:
    > 19/04/02