Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Late medical results: any idea when I'll get my visa?

Late medical results: any idea when I'll get my visa?

Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:28 am
Just Joined

ZappBrannigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Late medical results: any idea when I'll get my visa?

I had my k1 interview at the embassy a couple of days ago. It went fine, but my medical results hadn't yet arrived, so they were unable to issue my visa straight away. According to Knightsbridge the results arrived later that day, but when I called the embassy asking for a timescale for getting my visa, they said that since the medical report wasn't present at the exact time of my interview it might be anything from 10 to 15 days! This seems a little crazy.

I was just wondering if anyone else's medical was late, and how long it took them to actually get the visa in their hands.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Late medical results: any idea when I'll get my visa?

Originally Posted by ZappBrannigan
I had my k1 interview at the embassy a couple of days ago. It went fine, but my medical results hadn't yet arrived, so they were unable to issue my visa straight away. According to Knightsbridge the results arrived later that day, but when I called the embassy asking for a timescale for getting my visa, they said that since the medical report wasn't present at the exact time of my interview it might be anything from 10 to 15 days! This seems a little crazy.

I was just wondering if anyone else's medical was late, and how long it took them to actually get the visa in their hands.
I can't specify any threads but I have seen similar timescales indicated elsewhere. Don't forget that is only a guesstimate by the misinformation line (unless you really did manage to speak to someone who actually works at the embassy )

Also depends on what service you asked for from the courier.

This is also a good reason (for any others reading) to have your medical at least a week in advance of your interview, if possible.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:03 am
Just Joined

ZappBrannigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Late medical results: any idea when I'll get my visa?

Thanks, Fries. I did indead speak to the Minister of Misinformation who was totally unable to provide any details about the status of my visa, but was happy to charge me £1.20 per minute regardless.

This might be handy for other people to know: my medical results got held up because of vaccinations. At my medical, a couple of needed shots were identified, but I chose to get them done at my GP rather than spend £65. This was still four working days before my interview; not a problem provided there were no delays. I was told that getting the shots in the meantime wouldn't stop Knightsbridge from sending my results straight away; they'd just forward a note to the embassy later stating that I'd been fully immunised. However, this wasn't the case. Knightsbridge held onto my file until I'd actually had the shots, causing enough of a delay that they missed my interview.

So, if you can only come to London once, the lesson here is to get all your shots done well in advance of the medical.