Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Large age differnce and fiancee visa

Large age differnce and fiancee visa

Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:42 am
John Martin

Default Large age differnce and fiancee visa

Hi,

My Cousin has gone bonkers for a woman in Ukraine that is more than 30
years his junior. I have told him that in addition to the likely hood
of this marriage failing the consul officer will see this as a red
flag and denythe visa or at least give her a very hard time. He thinks
not. Anyone have experience with this.

Martin

Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large age differnce and fiancee visa

Lots of people have large age gaps between them and still get visas issued. By no means is it an automatic denial.

Just like everybody else, she will have to convince the consulate officer that this is a real relationship and she is not just getting married for a green card.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:09 pm
Salinator

My wife is 11 years younger than I am and we had no issues with any of
the paperwork or interviews. As with any case, just keep all
correspondence (cards, e-mails, telephone records, smoke signals) and
have them ready to support the petition. As well, keep any travel
itenerary, travel documentation, visas etc to prove that they visited
one another, as they would have to have met personally within the last
2 years before filing the petition.

A

Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John Martin
Hi,

Martin
Hi:

This is quite common. I have a friend who is a former ConOff who used to serve in Manila -- one of the most "high fraud" posts on the planet -- they had no problems in granting such visas. And they would think in the back of their head that if the man didn't survive the marriage night, he would die happy.

Also, in slightly differnt context, there is a "212(h)" waiver case called "Matter of H--" where a US citizen married a much younger Mexican woman who was a former prostitute. After living together in Mexico for 15 years, the man wanted to spend his sunset in the US with his wife, and the Regional Commissioner felt it was extreme hardship to deny the old man a wavier for his wife.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

When I was at the embassy in Bogota I saw a USC about 60 years old trying to get a young (early 20s) Colombian woman a fiancee visa. He said that they had tried 3 times previously and each time there was neither a denial nor an approval. On their fourth attempt they were successful. I would never have given them the visa even if they showed up 50 times.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:18 pm
it ain't ez bein cheezy

cheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to all

Hmmm, I wonder if there is a bias, how they feel about the gap when the woman is the older one (as is in my case!).
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Dynamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheezy
Hmmm, I wonder if there is a bias, how they feel about the gap when the woman is the older one (as is in my case!).
Same is true for me - my wife's a little over 15 years older than I am, but as I mentioned, our case handler approved us yesterday, pending the FBI background check coming back clean anyway.

So, as long as you're not a wanted mass-murdering serial goat rapist, you should be alright.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:28 pm
it ain't ez bein cheezy

cheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dynamo
So, as long as you're not a wanted mass-murdering serial goat rapist, you should be alright.
oh goodie. I'm none of those things.....
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Dynamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheezy
oh goodie. I'm none of those things.....
Should be fine then!

Our interviewer did mention the age gap in our first interview, but it didn't seem like it was a big issue to her, and it wasn't mentioned at all in our second meeting. Maybe they're more used to this sort of thing since the dawning of the golden age of the Internet.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 4:48 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dynamo
Should be fine then!

Our interviewer did mention the age gap in our first interview, but it didn't seem like it was a big issue to her, and it wasn't mentioned at all in our second meeting. Maybe they're more used to this sort of thing since the dawning of the golden age of the Internet.
"Should be fine" but then again don't think because you got approved he will, I am not trying to burst anybody's bubble but one must be ready for the worse, Immigration is tough, I wish the OP nothing but the very best!
Congrats on the approval
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:53 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Martin
Hi,

Martin
..theres one born every minute.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CarlM
..theres one born every minute.
Even featured as a bit story in 'My name is Earl', Russian (OK, near) Mail Order Brides.

Goinf the other way, Morrocco seems to have a hig number of older ladies petitioning for younger males.

Sauce for the Goose etc.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:53 pm
Mimi

Hi John,

If the woman in Ukraine is of legal age to marry, i don't see how this
can pose a problem. My husband is 11 years older than me and at the
interview, the officer couldn't care less. All he wanted was to see
proof that our marriage is legit and that we have supporting
documentation to prove that our life together is that of a normal
married couple that is living together.
Funny story:)...when flying to USA i had the opportunity to sit by