land border crossing/esta help!

Old May 14th 2009, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default land border crossing/esta help!

So im currently in Canada on a visitor visa, but have been now granted a bunac visa, as the rules changed so i can now work!

Anyways so ive decided to go to the Niagara border, my english friend from uni is visiting me on saturday, so on sunday we're gonna go to the border, cross over and come back to Canada and get my bunac visa put into my passport.

Now first off, do i have to do the esta form? i heard that if your crossing by land you dont need to do this. OR shall i do it just to be safe?

Second, what shall we tell the americans? I crossed the border there in 06, me and a friend both just wanted to cross the border and see the american falls, and go to the gift shop there. and then we were going to come straight back. so just go there for a couple of hours. do you think this would work again? Or shall we tell them we're going to go shopping? We'll be walking over you see....

Aaaah i dunno, immigration officers scare me, their so intimidating! But hey what is wrong with wanting to cross over and see the american falls? we told them that before, we did get questioned but no more than normal so shall i try this again? my friend with me hasnt seen niagara falls anyways so she'd want to see the other side too and the idea of walking to america is pretty sweet!

So yes is this a good idea? Or not.....I heard that the American officials dont like people crossing over just to activate visas, but if we're tying in with my friend seeing the falls whats the big deal?and im assuming we wouldnt tell them that we were activating a visa.

Anyways so thanks to all who reply! i just want to make sure that my border crossing goes ok.

Thanks!!

Zoe
Old May 14th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: land border crossing/esta help!

only if you enter the US by commercial carrier (bus, plane, boat, train etc). if you travel by car you dont need ESTA.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all

we rung up and were told yes we did
only took 2mins on the internet to do so isnt any hassle.
Old May 14th 2009, 4:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstya
we rung up and were told yes we did
Once again - you do not need ESTA on the land frontier.

The fact the helpline got it wrong doesn't change that fact.

Why not look up the rules for yourself:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program
Old May 14th 2009, 9:44 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

You tell the border officer that you want to return to Canada to process a work permit. They will generate a slip of paper called a Form I-160A notice to Canada stating you did not enter the US and that Canada has to take you back. That way if your paperwork is not in order, you won't be stuck in the US. Once the paperwork is done in Canada, you can always drop over to the US side for a visit.
Old May 14th 2009, 9:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
You tell the border officer that you want to return to Canada to process a work permit. They will generate a slip of paper called a Form I-160A notice to Canada stating you did not enter the US and that Canada has to take you back. That way if your paperwork is not in order, you won't be stuck in the US. Once the paperwork is done in Canada, you can always drop over to the US side for a visit.
You do not have to do that ... the option is always there to visit the United States at the same time.
Old May 14th 2009, 11:05 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You do not have to do that ... the option is always there to visit the United States at the same time.
And what do you think happens if he has a problem with his paperwork upon returning to Canada? Where do you think he will be stuck until it's fixed? Personally, if I were this person, I would rather be stuck in the country where I live/work and not in the country that I am visiting.
Old May 14th 2009, 11:08 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by crg14624
And what do you think happens if he has a problem with his paperwork upon returning to Canada? Where do you think he will be stuck until it's fixed? Personally, if I were this person, I would rather be stuck in the country where I live/work and not in the country that I am visiting.
It's really up to the individual to decide. But no different to those who take a vacation in the U.S. (or somewhere other than home country) before returning to Canada.

One could always still be admitted to Canada on existing paperwork, or even as a tourist, again theoretically it could be refused and the person would then be "stuck" in the U.S. and would have to go to home country. But have there been any real-life cases of this (out of the thousands who do this process every year).
Old May 14th 2009, 11:16 am
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by JAJ
But have there been any real-life cases of this (out of the thousands who do this process every year).
Yes there have. It is rare but it does happen. Did you watch the Homeland Security USA show? It happened on an episode. The guy was going to be arrested in the US until his brother drove up with the funds the man needed to become landed in Canada.

It's much more common for people living/working/studying in the US to get stuck in Canada though.

Last edited by crg; May 14th 2009 at 11:28 am.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoec
... my friend with me hasnt seen niagara falls anyways so she'd want to see the other side too and the idea of walking to america is pretty sweet!
You'll get a much better view of the American Falls from the Canadian side of the Niagara River.

i just want to make sure that my border crossing goes ok.
No one here can assure you that you won't have any problems.

Ian
Old May 14th 2009, 1:10 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You'll get a much better view of the American Falls from the Canadian side of the Niagara River.

No one here can assure you that you won't have any problems.

Ian
I agree. The view of The Falls is better from the Canadian side because you can see the wonderful beauty of the falls with wooded green space area as a backdrop. If you look at The Falls from the US side, you see the circus that Canada has built right up to the edge of it.

I'd suggest a walk through the NY State Park at Goat Island. It's a nice wilderness area with trails. The city of Niagara Falls, NY itself is a dump. If you ever stay overnight, stay on the Canadian side.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the help, i just don't want to have a slip of paper saying ive been refused admittance to the US. Plus its a bunac visa, all i have is a piece of paper anyways which they process and then put the visa into your passport, its not a temporary work permit or permanent residence visa etc.
Also i have evidence that i have plenty of funds, im here as a visitor until july 9th too, i got six months in january.

So i think i will cross the border over to the states, just say we want to see the american falls and do some shopping in buffalo.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Oh another question, on the green visa waiver form, you have to put an address right of where you'll be visiting? but if your only going there for a few hours what do you put?
Old May 14th 2009, 2:35 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by zoec
Oh another question, on the green visa waiver form, you have to put an address right of where you'll be visiting? but if your only going there for a few hours what do you put?
One Day Trip,
City, State
Old May 14th 2009, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

ok thankyou!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.