Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Laid off on H1-B. Need clarifications.

Laid off on H1-B. Need clarifications.

Old Apr 5th 2001, 8:17 pm
scaredofspam

Hi,

I am on H1 B visa and am going to lose my job on April 15(that is the last pay day).
Some questions...

) Since the I-94 card that I got with H1B visa is valid until 2003, am I allowed to
stay until then?
1) How long can I stay in the United States after the company terminates my H1B visa?
2) Will my H1B status be valid after my company stops paying me?
3) If I find new employment, how long do I have to wait until I can start working at
the new job? 4} What is the process of H1B transfer to a new job and how long
does it take?
4) Is my practical training(EAD) still valid when I change status to H1?
5) If I want to start school what do I need to apply for an F1 and am I still in
status after I apply for F1 visa?
6) How long can I stay out of status in the United States?

Thanks for your help.

AC

Old Apr 6th 2001, 1:11 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

No, not legally.

>
    >

Zero days; there is no grace period. You should probably file a I-539 immediately
requesting a change from H-1B to B-2 status, or to some other status for which you
are eligible.

>

No.

>
    >

When INS receives the I-129, H-1B petition, you can go on the payroll of the new
employer, assuming that INS does not find you to have violated status.

>

It's the same process as the initial H-1B petition. The main thing that will take
time is the LCA. They are taking about a month. The I-129 could be filed without
the LCA, after the LCA has been filed, but this will lengthen the total processing
time for the I-129 quite a bit. You can go on the payroll after INS receives the
I-129 however.

AFter you have a new job offer, and a cooperative employer, and a good, fast lawyer,
maybe two weeks.

>

No. After you have changed status, your F-1 OPT status is gone forever.

>
    >

If you submit Form I-539 accompanied by Form I-20 from the school, prior to the
cessation of your previous status, you will remain in valid status. You need to get
admitted to the school, and have the I-20 issued, before you can file Form I-539.

>

Well, there are those who stay in the U.S. out of status until they die. A better
question would be what are the consequences of remaining out of status for a month,
six months, a year, etc.

Old Apr 11th 2001, 6:06 am
JT

>
    >

A month!?!?!?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Two weeks, if it is filed without the LCA you mean?