Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Labor Certification - Help in finding an attorney in San Francisco\CA

Labor Certification - Help in finding an attorney in San Francisco\CA

Old Sep 19th 2001, 2:13 am
Heitor Tome

Hello there,

My name is Heitor Tome and I am looking for an attorney who can help me filing my
Labor Certification.

Naturally, I have been shopping around and I am surprised by the amount of money some
firms/Attorneys are asking to file my process.

Basically, I am under H-1b status. I do not have any "super-dooper" skills, or any
international recognition worth mentioning, or Nobel Prizes and etc...just a regular
guy...; although I do have a degree of Bachelor of Business Administration in
Computer Information Systems and I have been working with computers since 1989.

Anyway,

1 - What would be a fair fee that should be charged by an attorney to file my
process?

I found a web site http://www.usavisanow.com/immigrationservicesprices.htm which is
charging $1800.00 to file the process. The problem is that they are located in NY and
I wish I could have something local. I have had bad experiences trying to file Labor
Certification using a "trustworthy" attorney in LA...things never progressed and only
came to a crawl.

2 - Does anybody know a good attorney who does not charge a fortune to do such
a process?

3 - Does my degree entitle me to National Interest Waiver? or... Does my degree
entitle me to any shortcut towards the Green Card at all?

thank you very much and I appreciate your time in helping me.

Heitor [email protected]

Old Sep 19th 2001, 5:29 pm
C . Matthew Schulz

Heitor Tome wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Heitor:

I was surprised at the fees, which quite frankly are lower than was charged by the
first law firm where I worked in 1985 after graduation from school. More power to
them and you if it is possible. Be sure to confirm exactly which services are covered
these fees. For example, when I clicked on their description of the services, it
explained how the $1,800 was applied to the services ($600 to prepare ETA750, $600 on
approval of ETA750 and $600 to prepare the I140) but there was nothing to indicate
whether the I485 adjustment of status phase was included in that price. Of course,
this may be clarified in the written agreement everyone should always insist upon
when hiring an attorney.

I have articles on the national interest waiver process at www.schulzlaw.com. You
will learn that the degree alone does not make one eligible. Frankly, this has become
a very difficult way to immigrate to the US since the NY Dept of Transportation case
(discussed in articles you know where!).

Good luck.
--
C. Matthew Schulz, Attorney at Law [email protected] Baker & McKenzie Two
Embarcadero Center, San Francisco, CA 94111 T 415.984.3809 F 415.576.3099 660
Hansen Way, Palo Alto, CA 94304 T 650.856.5528 F 650.856.9299 www.schulzlaw.com