Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L2 Visa with previous (solved) record

L2 Visa with previous (solved) record

Old May 25th 2018, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

charlie1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L2 Visa with previous (solved) record

Hello all,

My (almost) husband has been offered to move to Chicago for about a year within his company under an L1 Visa and I would be able to go with him using the L2 Visa option. Reading the application questions I have noticed that there is one about previous criminal convictions. About 10 years ago I had my driving license taken away for 6 months back in Italy (my home country) for drunk-driving. It was a silly mistake I made when I was younger which was then solved with 40 hours of social services. Do you think this could be an impediment in getting my L2 Visa approved?

Many thanks in advance,
Charlie
Old May 27th 2018, 11:49 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 Visa with previous (solved) record

It's unlikely to cause you an issue for the USA. It will make travel to or via Canada problematic though, as they are very strict on drink driving.
Old May 27th 2018, 2:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Canada is strict about drunk driving. But if you are driving into Canada for a visit, you won't need to complete and eTA as I believe that is only if you are flying into Canada. As always recommended, keep the court records so if and when needed you can produce them at will.
Old May 27th 2018, 7:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie1986
Hello all,

My (almost) husband has been offered to move to Chicago for about a year within his company under an L1 Visa and I would be able to go with him using the L2 Visa option. Reading the application questions I have noticed that there is one about previous criminal convictions. About 10 years ago I had my driving license taken away for 6 months back in Italy (my home country) for drunk-driving. It was a silly mistake I made when I was younger which was then solved with 40 hours of social services. Do you think this could be an impediment in getting my L2 Visa approved?

Many thanks in advance,
Charlie
The question actually addresses a medical issue -- are you a drug abuser? The arrest is not per se a ground of inadmissibility, but the consulate may refer OP for a medical examination with psychiatric evaluation.

I am not familiar with the current US medical standards set forth in "DSM-5" but I recall that under the prior "DSM-IV", an alcohol related arrest may have caused a referral to a medical exam.

I have no idea if OP will have a referral or not.