L2 visa change

Old Nov 17th 2015, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

jtj1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L2 visa change

Hi

I am on a L2 visa after moving to the US with my wife who is on a L1 visa

I have a job and an EAD that allows me to work

Unfortunately we are in the process of possibly separating, before I return to the UK is there anything I can do to amend my visa status to enable me to stay in the US to live and work?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 17th 2015, 6:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 visa change

You would need to find an employer to sponsor a work visa so you could do a change of status. Can your current employer do that?

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2015, 7:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As Noorah said, you need an employer-sponsor as if you were seeking to immigrate for yourself, and you have the same work, family, and investment visa possibilities.

It has occasionally come up on BE where someone has asked about "exiting" a spouse visa (L-2, H-4, O-3, etc.) and flipping straight to a K-1 or CR-1, but the logistics of that are impractical without a period outside the US, or at least being "out of legal status" in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 17th 2015 at 7:12 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Is your husbands employer going to sponsor him for a greencard in the near future?
Old Nov 17th 2015, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Is your wife's employer going to sponsor her for a greencard in the near future?
FIFY!

Ian
Old Nov 17th 2015, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jtj1
I have a job and an EAD that allows me to work
Your EAD is tied to your L-2 status... and your L-2 status is tied to your wife's L-1 status. Keep that in mind.

Unfortunately we are in the process of possibly separating...
Is she returning to the UK? If she remains in the US and you are not divorced, then your L-2 status remains valid as does your EAD.

... before I return to the UK...
Do you have a burning need to return to the UK? That would seem to be a last step measure, and only if and when a divorce is final.

Ian
Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
FIFY!

Ian
Woops..

Somehow I read that one backwards.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 8:28 am
Just Joined

jtj1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies

No my wife is planning on remaining in the US and attempting to get a green card, etc. in the future

If we are not legally separated but live apart will that impact upon my current visa or potential to be included in her green card application in the future if i am unable to find a new sponsor?
Old Nov 28th 2015, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jtj1
If we are not legally separated but live apart...
The term "legal separation" is largely a misnomer. If you're living apart, you're separated... whether or not there's any official paperwork involved. This ranks right up there with the belief that the other spouse has to agree to a divorce before you can get one! If one person divorces the other... you're both divorced!

... will that impact upon my current visa...
It shouldn't, no.

... or potential to be included in her green card application in the future if i am unable to find a new sponsor?
Well, she's not obligated to include you in the application, and I'm pretty sure you can't force your way onto the application, but assuming she's willing to help you it should be okay.

Ian