L2 Student Fees Question

Old Jan 8th 2002, 1:32 am
Melinda Mackenzie

Someone mentioned to me a little while ago that they only have to pay normal resident
fees when attending college. Is there a law somewhere that states this is what is
supposed to happen? I have approached my local community college and they said that I
am classed as an international student on an L2 visa (and therefore the fees are 4
times as much and I can't afford to go to school).

If there is such a law, can someone please tell me where I can read about it?

Thanks, Mel.

Old Jan 8th 2002, 1:13 pm
Stuart

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

The rules vary by state and school system.

Old Jan 11th 2002, 9:40 pm
Against_terror

I'm on L2 and I pay only county resident fee at a community college in Philadelphia,
PA. I hope this helps.

Stuart <[email protected]>

>
[usenetquote2]> > Someone mentioned to me a little while ago that they only have to pay normal[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > resident fees when attending college. Is there a law somewhere that states this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > is what is supposed to happen? I have approached my local community college and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > they said that I am classed as an international student on an L2 visa (and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > therefore the fees are 4 times as much and I can't afford to go to school).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If there is such a law, can someone please tell me where I can read about it?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks, Mel.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

Old Jan 12th 2002, 2:33 am
Against_terror

<Visa Bud> don't terrorize this NG!!! As you see, I'm against terror!!! The community
college sure asked me to show them my valid visa and wanted an additional letter of
employment from my spouse. This is law in PA. <Visa Bud> shut up because your
knowledge on INS laws is really null!!

[email protected] (Visa Bud)

>
[usenetquote2]> >I'm on L2 and I pay only county resident fee at a community college in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Philadelphia, PA. I hope this helps.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 14th 2002, 6:42 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Visa Bud wrote:

[usenetquote2]>>I'm on L2 and I pay only county resident fee at a community college in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>Philadelphia, PA. I hope this helps.[/usenetquote2]

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

The issue of state residence for tuition purposes at state-supported schools is a
matter of state law and regulations, not federal law (INS is governed entirely by
federal law).

Each school system enforces its own regulations with respect to this issue.

Here, for example, are UC Berkeley's guidelines:
http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Reside...n-citizen.html.

Persons in L-2 status are clearly eligible to establish state residence for tuition
purposes in the UC system.