l2 EAD

Old Feb 22nd 2019, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

jtj1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default l2 EAD

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any replies
I previously held an L2 visa, approx 4/5 years ago, as part of this when in the US, I got my SS number and EAD - during the time, I left the US to return to the UK, I still have my US SS number but my previous EAD has expired.

I am going through the process again and in the next 9 weeks I will hopefully have another L2 visa issued as part of the L1 visa process. my question is; can I continue to use my previously issued US SS number, do I need to wait the approx 3 month period to apply for my EAD once in the US

I am interested in getting my EAD as soon as possible to allow me to seek and begin working whilst in the US, any feedback is apprecaited
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: l2 EAD

You can check that your SS is still associated with you.

https://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnv.htm
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never heard of having to wait before you apply.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

You won't have to wait 3 months to apply for the EAD. You can apply on day 1 in the US.

I think perhaps you meant, "will you still have to wait for 3 months to receive your EAD after you have applied for it?"

The answer to that is more or less yes. When I renewed my EAD recently the quoted timescales were 4.5-5.5 months to receive your new card. But in the end it only took 60 days to arrive.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 2:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your SSN is valid for life, so no problem there.

You don't have to wait to apply for EAD, you can apply on Day 1 after entry on your L2 if you want. It can take 3 or 4 months to get EAD in hand, though.

Rene