Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1B Extension granted, do I have to go back to the original Visa issuer?

L1B Extension granted, do I have to go back to the original Visa issuer?

Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:13 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice
Question L1B Extension granted, do I have to go back to the original Visa issuer?

My L1B was due to expire on 31 May 2011, and has just been extended to May 2013, I have a copy of the I797A, together with the new I-94. I may or may not be travelling before 31 May 2011 (which is obviously the date on the visa in my passport), but will certainly have need to travel internationally a few times this year.

From reading other posts, my understanding is that I MUST leave US soil to get the 'new' visa pasted into my passport. Other things I've read is that my nearest options (Mexico & Canada) are not necessarily a guaranteed option.

Due the the long wait times when I first got my visa, I opted to fly to Brussels for the formalities, rather than wait the 6-8 weeks for the London embassy.

So, given all of the above, what is my best option? I'd rather go back to the UK rather than Brussels (or Canada/Mexico), and if I can get my company to pay for it as part of the visa expense, even better :-) and is this something I should do in advance of the May 31 date, or does it not really matter, so long as if I do fly out of the US after May 31, I have an appointment at the embassy prior to my return?

Thanks all...
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1B Extension granted, do I have to go back to the original Visa issuer?

Congratulations on your L1 extension. The date on the extended I-94 you received means you can remain in the US until that expiration date. If before that date you leave the US and have to give up your I-94 then you will need to use the I797A to apply at a US Consulate for a new visa stamp/label. Travelling to Canada or Mexico does not always mean that you will have your I-94 removed from your passport.
My suggestion would be when you know of a business trip out of the US explain to your boss or HR that you will need to tack on a few days extra to visit the US Consulate, so long as your trip isn't between May and September when all the tourists with convictions are applying for B1's you should expect to be able to book a suitable day for your interview in advance via the premium phone number plus you will get to spend a few days with friends or family while you wait for the courier to return your passport.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1B Extension granted, do I have to go back to the original Visa issuer?

Originally Posted by Vimto
Travelling to Canada or Mexico does not always mean that you will have your I-94 removed from your passport.
True, but he can remove it himself and send it to DHS at their address in Kentucky. Of course, he'd need to already have an appointment at a US Consulate in Canada or Mexico prior to crossing the border.

Ian
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:25 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Thanks. The issue I have is that I will definately be leaving the US in November for a wedding/honeymoon in French Polynesia, but obviously there's no way I want to be taking care of the new Visa then (assuming there's even a consulate over there, and one that would process it for me). Normally I have a business reason to travel internationally, but prior to the end of May, I might not.

So basically, my best option would be to book the appointment in advance, and travel to the UK, for one reason or another, for that date, correct? If I do that after May 31, and there's some crazy issue during my interview, that would presumably prevent my re-entry into the US until it's resolved, so does that mean my 'safest' option is to do it before May 31?

Thanks again...
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
So basically, my best option would be to book the appointment in advance, and travel to the UK, for one reason or another, for that date, correct?
Yes, that would work.

... does that mean my 'safest' option is to do it before May 31?
Yes. Be aware that when you re-enter the US, your I-94 might be stamped with a date different than your extension notice. Mind you... it'll only be a few days or weeks difference... depends on when you enter the US. Regardless, the I-94 is the one you need to pay attention to.

Ian
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:32 pm
Texas Pete

Thanks...so if I flew at the end of Marhc, then they would stamp the I94 with March 2013 rather than May 2013, even though that would be the date in the new Visa?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:36 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

My L1B was due to expire on 31 May 2011, and has just been extended to May 2013, I have a copy of the I797A, together with the new I-94. I may or may not be travelling before 31 May 2011 (which is obviously the date on the visa in my passport), but will certainly have need to travel internationally a few times this year.

From reading other posts, my understanding is that I MUST leave US soil to get the 'new' visa pasted into my passport. Other things I've read is that my nearest options (Mexico & Canada) are not necessarily a guaranteed option.

Due the the long wait times when I first got my visa, I opted to fly to Brussels for the formalities, rather than wait the 6-8 weeks for the London embassy.

So, given all of the above, what is my best option? I'd rather go back to the UK rather than Brussels (or Canada/Mexico), and if I can get my company to pay for it as part of the visa expense, even better :-) and is this something I should do in advance of the May 31 date, or does it not really matter, so long as if I do fly out of the US after May 31, I have an appointment at the embassy prior to my return?

Thanks all...
Keep in mind that it can take up to 10 working days to get your visa and passport back from the embassy, so this might not work on time constraints of a business trip.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

Thanks...so if I flew at the end of Marhc, then they would stamp the I94 with March 2013 rather than May 2013, even though that would be the date in the new Visa?
The date on the new visa will likely be the date it's issued... not the anniversary date of the prior visa. But, in any case, it doesn't matter. The date on the I-94 is the date your stay in the US ends... whether the visa is still valid or not.

Ian