Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 visa - US visits while visa is processing

L1 visa - US visits while visa is processing

Old Dec 21st 2015, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

shelby52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 visa - US visits while visa is processing

Hello

My company will be starting an L1 visa process for me in the first week of January. I have a couple of business visits to the US at the end of January/beginning February and am then on annual leave, so I won't be able to have my interview until March. The business visits are not related to the move to the US. We have a lot of US clients already and I visit approx 3-4 times a year at present. I am traveling into San Fran, our new office is in NYC, if that makes a difference!

I understand from the web that it is a 'frowned upon' to travel on business while an L1 visa application is in process. Does anyone have any experience of what this practically means at customs in terms of how much pressure I am going to get? I completely understand that I shouldn't lie and indeed I won't, but any tips of anything I should say if they do seriously question my entry - I am wary of over explaining as well!

Thanks so much :-)
Old Dec 21st 2015, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 visa - US visits while visa is processing

Originally Posted by shelby52
I understand from the web that it is a 'frowned upon' to travel on business while an L1 visa application is in process.
No, it isn't.

It's against the law to start actually working in the US until you enter using the L1, but it's fine to have business visits for meetings etc., just like you were before.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 4:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I don't think you'll have any issues. I do not have any direct experience though.

Rene
Old Dec 21st 2015, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I understand from the web that it is a 'frowned upon' to travel on business while an L1 visa application is in process.
I suggest you stop reading "the web", because you are definitely allowed to travel to the US while you have a visa application in process - and doing so will have no impact whatsoever on your application. Many of us have travelled while visas were in process... it's never been an issue.

Ian
Old Dec 21st 2015, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

shelby52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much everyone! I shall stop worrying.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 12:59 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

My company will be starting an L1 visa process for me in the first week of January. I have a couple of business visits to the US at the end of January/beginning February and am then on annual leave, so I won't be able to have my interview until March. The business visits are not related to the move to the US. We have a lot of US clients already and I visit approx 3-4 times a year at present. I am traveling into San Fran, our new office is in NYC, if that makes a difference!

I understand from the web that it is a 'frowned upon' to travel on business while an L1 visa application is in process. Does anyone have any experience of what this practically means at customs in terms of how much pressure I am going to get? I completely understand that I shouldn't lie and indeed I won't, but any tips of anything I should say if they do seriously question my entry - I am wary of over explaining as well!

Thanks so much :-)
I did this while my L1 was in process back in 2010, I had no issues, I think as long as you use common sense you should be OK. i.e. a couple of short business trips, if you are effectively coming back and staying the majority of time while you wait it might be looked on differently.

One thing to remember is that if your visa is approved at interview they will take your passport and it could take a week plus till its back in your hands, so if you only have 1 passport plan / don't plan travel accordingly.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to behold

Hi
We are in a very similar position & I wondered if passports are taken at all before the interview stage? I'm assuming not from reading the above. We are due to submit L1A application in the next week, but will be travelling to France to visit family in Aug. I don't want to risk sending passports off before we have our holiday, if there is a risk we won't get them back in time.
Any comments appreciated

Thanks

Jenny
Old Jul 6th 2016, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jennyw13
I wondered if passports are taken at all before the interview stage?
They're not.

I don't want to risk sending passports off before we have our holiday, if there is a risk we won't get them back in time.
US immigration has absolutely no interest whatsoever in your passport until the day of your interview.

Ian
Old Jul 6th 2016, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Jennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
They're not.

US immigration has absolutely no interest whatsoever in your passport until the day of your interview.

Ian
That's great, thanks Ian