L1-A Visa Extension

Old May 21st 2013, 2:00 am
Just Joined

jopottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1-A Visa Extension

Hello all!
Well I have not been on here for some time but hope some of you helpful chaps can help me out with something!
I've now been working here on an L1-A for 6 months and need to start thinking about our visa renewal.
I talked with my lawyer last week who provided a summary of what I needed to submit in order for the application to be processed. It didn't seem like a lot, just a few updates to the business plan, financial info, staff info etc. etc. I felt pretty happy about everything until I got the bill......this is more than we paid initially for the L1A! There seems to be a lot less work involved in the renewal and I am a little shocked as to why the cost is so high.
Does anyone have any experience of this? Should the cost for the renewal be more than obtaining the actual visa in the first place? If there are any L1-A people out there who have any knowledge of this it would be great to hear from you!
Thank you!
Old May 21st 2013, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1-A Visa Extension

How come you are renewing after only 6 months? First L1a is valid for 3 years then you can renew twice for 2 years each, total 7 years.
Old May 21st 2013, 3:15 am
Just Joined

jopottie is an unknown quantity at this point

First L1-A is valid for 12 months and they advise you start the process 6 months into the 12 months.
The renewal is then for 3 years.
Not sure if this has changed to the above recently but this is how it is certainly how it is at the moment.

QUOTE=notonuksoil;10717338]How come you are renewing after only 6 months? First L1a is valid for 3 years then you can renew twice for 2 years each, total 7 years.[/QUOTE]
Old May 21st 2013, 3:16 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Qualified employees entering the United States to establish a new office will be allowed a maximum initial stay of one year. All other qualified employees will be allowed a maximum initial stay of three years. For all L-1A employees, requests for extension of stay may be granted in increments of up to an additional two years, until the employee has reached the maximum limit of seven years.
Old May 21st 2013, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect like the E-2 visa, getting the initial visa is not that difficult but extending it can possibly be more problematic. Even though you are on a L-1A visa, I suspect USCIS looks at it similar to an E-2 visa as far as an extension is concerned when establishing a new office.
Old May 21st 2013, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

you are doing the right thing going in early...we did (even using PP) and with an RFE didnt get approval until 3 weeks before the original expired.

as to cost, yes ours also cost the same as the original , and the RFE another bundle

America+lawyers= big bills