L1 Visa Costs.....

Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:46 am
Just Joined

piston-pirates is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 Visa Costs.....

Hi, I am from the UK and my employer is about to apply for an L1 Visa for me to come and work for him in California.

Q1. How much does the L1 Visa cost total, legal fees and application fees?

Q2. How much did you pay for yours?

Q3. What are the advantages of disadvantages of the L1-A over the L1-B and vice versa?

Q4. Can anyone recommend any companies that are good to work with?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Visa Costs.....

With an L visa, usually company pays everything. What kind of relocation package is offered?

Do you want to stay in the U.S. and if so, what is the plan to get a green card?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:11 am
Just Joined

I want to move to the US so I have got to research and find the cheapest way. My only option is the L1 Visa.

Can you apply for a GC on the L1-B or is it just the L1-A?

Any rough ideas on the costs of obtaining an L1 and also the amount of paperwork on mine and the employers behalf?

Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:30 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

cant comment on cost as company paid it all.

q3 - with L1a there is no labour certification step which there is with L1b. This can also mean the L1a can go for a EB1 category when trying to get the employer sponsored green card which is current so can be done in less than a year.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Sorry, what is the labour certification step?

Thanks for the reply!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:46 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

L1a is for managers and execs.
L1b is for highly skilled workers - and as such they have to go through a step that verifies they are skilled in what they say they are. So its some kind of skill evaluation. My husband is an L1a so im not too sure exactly what that step entails but you can search labour certification and see what you find. I do believe it adds time and expense to the process though.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:39 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by piston-pirates
I want to move to the US so I have got to research and find the cheapest way. My only option is the L1 Visa.

Any rough ideas on the costs of obtaining an L1 and also the amount of paperwork on mine and the employers behalf?

Thanks
Thats what you need the Lawyer for ..to get all the correct paperwork together and there will be a lot of it ..its not a DIY job
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:29 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Sounds to me like you're well on your way to getting f***ed by your "employer". Have you worked for this company for the 12 months required to even apply for an L1 visa?

YOU don't pay for this stuff. The employer does. The employer also hires a lawyer to arrange the details of the visa and any eventual conversion to a Green Card.

Don't let your desperation to move to the US make you a victim of yet another unscrupulous employer or "immigration consultant".
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:00 am
Just Joined

The company doesn't necessarily need me in the US but my boss said they'll do it for me....hence trying to find out costs etc.

I've worked for them for more than 12 months.

Can you get an L1-A if you are going for a managerial position or do you need to be a manger for the company already?

Costs?

Cheers
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it actually illegal for the employee to pay the fees involved? Or is that just for the H1B?

OP - I realise you want to move to the US but you still need to make sure you get treated fairly! They need to pay all fees, pay for the lawyer and give you a good relocation package even if you're the one that asked for it. Remember that moving there will cost you at least £10,000 (more if you've got family and/or pets) so you need to get them to pay for as many of those costs as you can. And make sure you get certain things written into your contract - most importantly, that they will apply for greencard for you within x amount of time of you arriving so that you have some long term security if you want to stay, and that they will repatriate you and pay and and all associated costs if you suddenly get fired or similar (remember employee rights in US are minimal so you don't want to be kicked out and then have to suddenly sort yourself out and find another £10,000+ to get home).

There are many people on here who have asked to be relocated, but they've still got a good package so don't go into it thinking you haven't got a chance of getting one.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:12 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The company doesn't necessarily need me in the US but my boss said they'll do it for me....hence trying to find out costs etc.
I've worked for them for more than 12 months.
Can you get an L1-A if you are going for a managerial position or do you need to be a manger for the company already?
Costs?
Cheers
Sounds to me like your trying to pull some stroke ..
and its not a legitimate application by the company ...
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

It is a legitimate application, the job vacancy is available. My boss must doesn't want to spend to ton of money getting me out there.

So does any employers know the costs of obtaining these Visas?

Can you transfer for a managerial position if you are currently not a manager for the company?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Don't let your desperation to move to the US make you a victim of yet another unscrupulous employer or "immigration consultant".
Does this happen often with immigration consultants? Do they take your money knowing that the application has no chance?

Do all costs have to be paid upfront or is there stages?

Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Does this happen often with immigration consultants? Do they take your money knowing that the application has no chance?

Do all costs have to be paid upfront or is there stages?

Thanks
Yes, yes and yes. You can imagine why it's all ripe for fraud and messing with people, especially people who are motivated to hear what they want to hear.

You should be discussing/researching this in the US Immigration forum; many of your questions have been discussed there already.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does this happen often with immigration consultants?
Oh my, yes!

Do they take your money knowing that the application has no chance?
Willingly, they take your money. That's how they earn a living... they certainly don't do it by making sure you end up with a visa.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.