L1 questions

Old Apr 27th 2006, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1 questions

Hello, I have posted similar questions in the past (as I begun my “research”), but now I am planning it a little more thoroughly, so I have a few questions..
I am an accountant currently working on in the BVI, where my contract is due to expire this November, however will probably stay here until mid 2007 (or whenever I can potentially move to the States!). My firm is an independent firm which is a member of a group of accountancy firms, with offices throughout the states. My boss has already told me he will get me a job in one of these other firms. I have heard of other accountants moving to the states on an L1 visa, but to a firm with the same name as the one they were moving from. (Such as the Big 4) Do you think my potential new employer will be able to apply for an L1 visa?
And if so, do employers normally prefer to apply for an L1 visa rather than a H1 visa?
I ask because I can only live in the States on an L1 visa, so that may husband may work….
Any extra help you could give me would be much appreciated.