L1 and L2 Visa together

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 and L2 Visa together

Originally Posted by garima
Originally Posted by meauxna
No, only if you USE your L-1.

There is also such a thing as a change of status. If you enter the US as an L-1 and then quit that company (in which case, why are you even pursuing this...) then you can file to change your status back to L-2 without leaving the US.
I don't know if your EAD remains valid, or if you have to apply for a new one after you change status to L-2.
Thats what I want to know....my EAD will be valid or not.
The EAD is only valid for use when you are in L-2 status.
EAD has a finite validity for the document, either one year or 2.
While you are in the US in L-1 status (by using an L-1 visa to enter the US) you are not eligible to use the EAD.

Whether or not it remains valid for RE-use if you return to L-2 status is the question. I'm afraid you will have to ask a lawyer for a definition of that. At least, I can't answer it.
It is not legal, if you are being hired in the US. What would they say if I walked in to apply for the same job? I don't have one of those visas.
Maybe you should gain a better understanding of their reasons and see how you could work around it. You would save them considerable amounts of money working as an L-2.
I am from an Indian Company and they say I am on India Payroll so they cannot hire me legally to work in US on L2. I had talked to them...there is no work around.
So this is some dodge that your company is doing, perhaps to avoid US labor rules, I don't know what their motivations would be. But if they won't hire you, I guess they just won't. Just so you understand, it is not that they *can* not hire you as an L-2, it's simply that they *will* not.

What do you mean? What kind of option? You can go get sponsored for any visa you want.
I'm not sure what the issue is.
My confusion is...If I get L1 visa then I will have to stay at the location where the project is....if my husband doesnot manage to relocate to that location then I will think of moving back to L2 with EAD and work independently.
I am not getting a job right now on EAD, thats y I m a little confused. Should I leave my previous company before I get a new job or should I get L1 Visa and work for that company...in that case my personal life can suffer.
Yes, if you get an L-1 visa, you are transferring to the US to work where your company needs you.
Your husband is on an L-1 visa that requires him to be in a certain location for his job.
Of course I have no idea how likely it is that your companies have suitable projects in the same area.

From what you write here, it seems like you should first see if it is possible for your husband to transfer to the area YOU need to be in. If he is not, you have your answer (stay L-2).
Why make the L-1 application for yourself with so many questions? Your husband's location is the deal-maker for you, so see where he can be and you will be able to plan accordingly.

edit: Ian remembered your other option, which is for your husband to become an L-2 from your L-1 status. You have not said what your husband thinks of that idea, and what he thinks about moving from the job he has now.