L1 - extension denied (PANIC!!!)

Old Oct 7th 2020, 7:28 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 - extension denied (PANIC!!!)

Originally Posted by capin
All reasonable considerations.

The one thing I would change is that I would have taken a 30 year mortgage rather than a 15 and invested the difference in some kind of IRA or savings vehicle.
was going to say that rate seemed low for a 30y 4y ago... but not today...
Old Oct 7th 2020, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
You don’t have to... but you can choose to...

My concern was that with “employment at will” and visa tied to job that was not a risk I wanted to take. That said if you can rent your property and cover the costs you can keep it even if you leave. I see so many people here buying and then selling to “upgrade” or “build their dream home” after only 3-5 years owning.. and often the closing costs of the sale and new purchase wipe out much if not all of a gain...

And yes when you strip out inflation, a rate close to 2.5% on a 25-30y mortgage is basically free money. Just did a refi on Friday and considering one on another property.
Employment at will, especially in a larger corporate setting, is not that big of a deal. Still difficult to let people go unless there is some gross negligence.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point

OP,

I'm guessing a bit here, I am an L1B and not legally qualified.

I think there is a provision that you may be eligible (but not entitled) to a 60 day grace period after your denial. I think you company/lawyers may have used the 240day rule on your renewal so I don't know if the 60 days is wound up in that. Might be worth a look though.

Old Oct 7th 2020, 8:03 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Employment at will, especially in a larger corporate setting, is not that big of a deal. Still difficult to let people go unless there is some gross negligence.
Not sure what state you are in, but your definition is not the one I understand for NY:
https://www.labor.ny.gov/workerprote...ds/faq.shtm#15

I can’t speak to policies of specific employers of jobs with unions, but I know it’s much easier here than back in the UK, I have seen people walked same day here, and having the run the redundancy process in the UK which took months it’s night and day with here.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
was going to say that rate seemed low for a 30y 4y ago... but not today...
I would refinance but I plan to be out of here by mid 2024 so probably not worth the cost and hassle.

Last edited by capin; Oct 7th 2020 at 8:21 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capin
I would refinance but I plan to be out of here by mid 2024 so probably not worth the cost and hassle.
That would depend entirely on what rate you're on, what you would be moving too and what your refinance costs will be.

My refi was sufficiently good that I'm going to be coming out ahead in about a year.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TexanScot
That would depend entirely on what rate you're on, what you would be moving too and what your refinance costs will be.

My refi was sufficiently good that I'm going to be coming out ahead in about a year.
I had bit of a look about - I am currently on 2.875% with about 10 years left.

Scrap of paper calculations tell me that it will take about 5 years to recover costs and I honestly don't think we will still be in the USA by then.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Not sure what state you are in, but your definition is not the one I understand for NY:
https://www.labor.ny.gov/workerprote...ds/faq.shtm#15

I can’t speak to policies of specific employers of jobs with unions, but I know it’s much easier here than back in the UK, I have seen people walked same day here, and having the run the redundancy process in the UK which took months it’s night and day with here.
Sorry, I should have said - I'm not speaking from a legal perspective, I'm talking from an internal policy perspective at the larger corporations I have experienced.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

tariqbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there an update on this case? Im keen to know if a solution was found, so we can learn from it.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XaviasUS
Yes the VISA is 3 + 2 (It is 3 years and 2 years extension - it is the extension I have been denied at but as yet I haven't received the paperwork giving me the reason). My 3 years was up, they filed for extension and it is only now getting processed/replied to, that is the extra time, it's actually 3yrs and 7 months- it got denied. No job change, if anything I have more responsibility but fundamentally I do the same role as when I originally got my L1b.

Very confusing and hoping it is just an obvious error but its the seriousness of "denied" and you just have to leave the country with little time to tie up loose ends. I have been getting assured by my attorneys that it was all very routine at this stage and when I queried anything I had to give for example RFE it was dismissed as no big deal, but clearly it was a big deal.

I was hoping someone on the forum had such an experience and had some recourse in changing the denial and how that process worked.
So what has happened in the meantime.....?