Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1-B Visa and my company has sold the Division I work for

L1-B Visa and my company has sold the Division I work for

Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

stewartsjh21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1-B Visa and my company has sold the Division I work for

Hope someone can help here.

I moved to the USA last year on a L1-B Visa and my company has just announced that it is selling the division I work in to a different company.

I contacted the legal department and they say that my visa will just transfer to the new company.

Is it as simple as this? The visa in the passport states the previous company name as well as all supporting documentation.

Any comments would help,

Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1-B Visa and my company has sold the Division I work for

Originally Posted by stewartsjh21
I contacted the legal department and they say that my visa will just transfer to the new company.
Well, the visa doesn't actually transfer... but the L-1B status does. You shouldn't need to do anything. Once the visa itself expires, you'll need to get the new company to sponsor you... but until that happens, you should be fine.

Is it as simple as this?
Yes... on the assumption that the new company doesn't want to fire you!

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

When this happened to us my OH's British company was bought out by a German company and we had to change from Ls to Hs
Just thought I'd mention it.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Well, the visa doesn't actually transfer... but the L-1B status does. You shouldn't need to do anything. Once the visa itself expires, you'll need to get the new company to sponsor you... but until that happens, you should be fine.
Ian - are you sure about this? Would the new company be able to sponsor an L for him, given that he would not have worked for them outside of the US.

I think the OP should definitely get his company to check things out with an immigration attorney.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:01 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Socal Local
Ian - are you sure about this? Would the new company be able to sponsor an L for him, given that he would not have worked for them outside of the US.
Where I work we have individuals that have longer tenure than the company's length of existence. This is due to their service with prior companies that we purchased. One guy has worked over 30 years for the company, and the company is only 15 years old. When the company operations are bought and sold, the employees generally come along.

It's a good idea to confirm with a Lawyer, but I would argue he DID work for them, when it was the other company...Employees transfer just like assets in the US. I don;t see why immigration benefits would be an exception.

Ask, but do not worry unless you hear adverse opinion...
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stewartsjh21
Hope someone can help here.

I moved to the USA last year on a L1-B Visa and my company has just announced that it is selling the division I work in to a different company.

Is it as simple as this? The visa in the passport states the previous company name as well as all supporting documentation.

Any comments would help,

Thanks
You'll be fine. As long as the buying company is a US company, your visa will transfer. The same happened with me. When I renew this year, it will have my new company name on my visa. Whenever I travel, I say that I still work for the old company. In fact, my salary still shows their old name on my bank statement.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

stewartsjh21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds as if i should be fine unless i get fired!!!