Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1-B transfer approved internally, about to go to USCIS

L1-B transfer approved internally, about to go to USCIS

Old Feb 27th 2013, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

dimension is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1-B transfer approved internally, about to go to USCIS

Hi all,

Firstly, I've been lurking around on here since my opportunity to immigrate to the US came up - plenty of useful information, but I've got a few questions myself

I've been offered the same job I do in the UK (I work in software development), but in our new office in Denver, CO. As I'll be transferring from one part of the company (we're wholly owned by the 'parent') to another, we're going the L1-B route.

I've been doing what I can to try and be as prepared as possible. All parties internally have approved the transfer, I've visited the city (which I love), and we're about to start filing the petition. As far as I'm aware, the process is as follows (assuming all goes to plan):

1. Company submits I-129 petition to USCIS (around 15 days turnaround with premium processing and assuming no RFEs)
2. Petition is granted/accepted by the USCIS and the company gets back some paperwork
3. I go for a medical at Knightsbridge Doctors (providing an ACRO police certificate, a list of current vaccinations and details of any medical conditions from my doctor - I take medication for hypertension)
4. After the US Embassy have received the 'results' of my medical, I go for an interview.
5. Assuming the interview is successful, they take my passport and process my visa

Having written it out, it seems simpler than it is in my mind, perhaps I missed something out?

Any advice on the required supporting documentation would be much appreciated, also. I like to try and be one-step-ahead and get as much of this moving in parallel as possible! All I can think of is the following:

- ACRO police certificate (from the police)
- List of vaccinations and information about my hypertension (from my GP)
- Education certificate (from my University)
Old Feb 27th 2013, 10:53 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1-B transfer approved internally, about to go to USCIS

Originally Posted by dimension
Hi all,

Firstly, I've been lurking around on here since my opportunity to immigrate to the US came up - plenty of useful information, but I've got a few questions myself

I've been offered the same job I do in the UK (I work in software development), but in our new office in Denver, CO. As I'll be transferring from one part of the company (we're wholly owned by the 'parent') to another, we're going the L1-B route.

I've been doing what I can to try and be as prepared as possible. All parties internally have approved the transfer, I've visited the city (which I love), and we're about to start filing the petition. As far as I'm aware, the process is as follows (assuming all goes to plan):

1. Company submits I-129 petition to USCIS (around 15 days turnaround with premium processing and assuming no RFEs)
2. Petition is granted/accepted by the USCIS and the company gets back some paperwork
3. I go for a medical at Knightsbridge Doctors (providing an ACRO police certificate, a list of current vaccinations and details of any medical conditions from my doctor - I take medication for hypertension)
4. After the US Embassy have received the 'results' of my medical, I go for an interview.
5. Assuming the interview is successful, they take my passport and process my visa

Having written it out, it seems simpler than it is in my mind, perhaps I missed something out?

Any advice on the required supporting documentation would be much appreciated, also. I like to try and be one-step-ahead and get as much of this moving in parallel as possible! All I can think of is the following:

You don't need a medical for an L visa
Old Feb 27th 2013, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by N1cky
You don't need a medical for an L visa
Wow, even better!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't require a degree for a L1B.... but if that's being used to show you having niche company skills.

Titre test for vaccinations is probably better, especially if you're not in your early 20's.

Whatever else your company lawyer wants to include, so ask them.

Wiki up top is also worth a poke if you've not looked already, especially for the stuff to try and negotiate in the relocation package, emergency flights and tax work come to mind as pretty current issues for people.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't require a degree for a L1B.... but if that's being used to show you having niche company skills.
Sure. My degree is very vocational, and strongly supports my technical abilities, whereas my duration with the company is the key 'driver' for our L1-B application.

Originally Posted by Bob
Titre test for vaccinations is probably better, especially if you're not in your early 20's.
I'm 25. I've never heard of a 'titre test', will look into it.

Originally Posted by Bob
Whatever else your company lawyer wants to include, so ask them.

Wiki up top is also worth a poke if you've not looked already, especially for the stuff to try and negotiate in the relocation package, emergency flights and tax work come to mind as pretty current issues for people.
Excellent, thanks! I've been offered a fairly comprehensive relocation package that I'm happy with, which includes tax adjustment 'stuff' along with help filing in subsequent years.

I'm expecting to be told what I need at some point, I'm just trying to save time where possible by starting early
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 25. I've never heard of a 'titre test', will look into it.
It shows what you've got jabs for and what you're immune too, it's often better than a vaccination history from the doctor that might not be complete, because you've either moved or had some jabs done while at school for instance.

Should be able to get it free as part of a annual physical especially to show how covered for tetanus you might be. But as you don't need a medical for the visa, it's only worth getting if you've plans to stay and pursue a greencard, when you will need a medical and the test would cost a lot more in the US, though again, some medical insurance might cover that as an initial physical.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I've been offered a fairly comprehensive relocation package that I'm happy with, which includes tax adjustment 'stuff' along with help filing in subsequent years.
Does you package include health insurance? If not, it should. You do not want to be sick in the US without it!

Ian
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

p.s you dont need any vaccines as you are not immigrating you are being transfered on an L visa
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
But as you don't need a medical for the visa, it's only worth getting if you've plans to stay and pursue a greencard, when you will need a medical and the test would cost a lot more in the US, though again, some medical insurance might cover that as an initial physical.
We'll be filing for my green card as soon as I arrive, apparently. I've talked with my GP and he's happy to give me my entire medical history dating back to my date of birth

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Does you package include health insurance? If not, it should.
I checked - it does.

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
p.s you dont need any vaccines as you are not immigrating you are being transfered on an L visa
Awesome. I thought I needed the ACPO report for the medical, but it looks like I'll need it at the embassy for my interview, so it's not £80 wasted after all!

Thanks all for the responses.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Between steps 2 and 3 you have to actually apply for the visa. See here for details.

Good luck.

- Eric S.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome. I thought I needed the ACPO report for the medical, but it looks like I'll need it at the embassy for my interview, so it's not £80 wasted after all!

Thanks all for the responses.
recheck this as far as i was aware you didnt need an ACPO report for and L1 or any medical, for an L1.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

If you don't mind me asking, what software development pies do you have your finger in? Only asking as I currently study SE at uni and am always interested in people who do this as a job, particularly those who managed to get a transfer/h-1b offer through it.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by LinkTen
If you don't mind me asking, what software development pies do you have your finger in? Only asking as I currently study SE at uni and am always interested in people who do this as a job, particularly those who managed to get a transfer/h-1b offer through it.
Folks I know -

Anti virus software that lead to security stuff related to voice/eyeball recognition

Real time server info in banking/betting/search software

Network/engine/AI/graphics for games

Embedded hardware systems for graphic cards/consoles/phones

Everyone had oodles of experience or really niche knowledge though and in case of not being transferred, some kind of awards either individually or as part of a team and a patent or two in a couple of them.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
recheck this as far as i was aware you didnt need an ACPO report for and L1 or any medical, for an L1.
+1

Not needed. That was our experience for L-1B back in Sep 2010.

Get details of your medical cover/insurance for US. It's not enough to 'have it' - it needs to be good enough.

Find out what is covered, what isn't, who is/isn't if you have a family coming with you, etc.

Good luck, it's all very exciting, and a little scary, isn't it!

Harry