L-1B renewal trip.

Old Dec 23rd 2019, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute
Default L-1B renewal trip.

Hi,

I'm approaching the end of my first three years on my L-1B visa and its time to head back to the U.S embassy in London to renew for a further two years.

My immigration attorney has explained that I'll need to leave my passport behind at Embassy to have the visa stamp renewed which I wasn't really expecting. This presents me with a logistical challenge because I was only planning on doing a quick trip back, staying near the Embassy and jumping straight back on a plane home (Florida) with a few days. I'm told that it can take up to 5 days post-interview for them to process the new stamp plus extra time for it to be posted back to me.

So in the forum's experience;
- Will I have to book a one-way flight to London and wait until passports are in hand to book my return?
- How can I receive the delivery of the passports if I'm staying in a hotel?
- Is 5 days the upper limit of how long it could take to process or might it be even longer?

Thanks all.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 10:10 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L-1B renewal trip.

Originally Posted by jammiie
Hi,

I'm approaching the end of my first three years on my L-1B visa and its time to head back to the U.S embassy in London to renew for a further two years.

My immigration attorney has explained that I'll need to leave my passport behind at Embassy to have the visa stamp renewed which I wasn't really expecting. This presents me with a logistical challenge because I was only planning on doing a quick trip back, staying near the Embassy and jumping straight back on a plane home (Florida) with a few days. I'm told that it can take up to 5 days post-interview for them to process the new stamp plus extra time for it to be posted back to me.

So in the forum's experience;
- Will I have to book a one-way flight to London and wait until passports are in hand to book my return?
- Is 5 days the upper limit of how long it could take to process or might it be even longer?

Thanks all.
I had to travel while they were stamping my L1a.. I traveled on a second UK passport... but did not go to the US. So unless you handed in one without the current L1b you would not be able to enter the US again and work anyway.

I got that 2nd passport same day at the passport office in Victoria in London, if you google you should be able to find what paperwork you need to be issued the second passport, it will include a letter from your employer explaining why you need it.

Last edited by tht; Dec 23rd 2019 at 10:20 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2019, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you need a new visa foil?

Did the embassy not issue you one that was valid for 5 years?

My immigration attorney has explained that I'll need to leave my passport behind at Embassy to have the visa stamp renewed which I wasn't really expecting
Did they say why you need a new visa foil, rather than just applying for an extension of status whilst in the US?

I'm currently going through the exact same process right now, and my I-129 is pending.
Old Dec 24th 2019, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

We have done about 5 renewals/applications and yes we have left passport at Embassy

Always been returned within 5 business days

Best is 3 days, but that was in Toronto

Old Dec 24th 2019, 3:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

1. I don't think you have to book one-way, no. Book round trip and change the return date if necessary.
2. Use the hotel address.
3. It might be longer, especially over a holiday season, so make sure you can change the return flight, just in case.

Rene
Old Dec 27th 2019, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.

I've booked a one-way flight with Norweigan into Gatwick and will book my return when passport is back in hand.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 10:13 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.

I've booked a one-way flight with Norweigan into Gatwick and will book my return when passport is back in hand.
A visa is only to enter the country. If you have status that extends beyond the visa, you probably don’t need a new visa until you leave the US for any other trip.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

A visa is only to enter the country. If you have status that extends beyond the visa, you probably don’t need a new visa until you leave the US for any other trip.
I did ask why he’s being sent to embassy for a new visa foil, as it seemed a bit odd to me when you can just extend status.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 1:33 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot

I did ask why he’s being sent to embassy for a new visa foil, as it seemed a bit odd to me when you can just extend status.
Yeah. I doubt he/she will answer either one of us.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

Yeah. I doubt he/she will answer either one of us.
I'm sure they are taking the advice of their attorneys, which is all anyone can do really.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably does not want to be land locked.

I have seen cases where people get stuck in AP which of course is an unknown. A week seems normal for the visa to be issued, but then the OP presumably went through this before.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hello,

Yes, my attorney did advise that the extension could be handled through administrative processing for which we (spouse and I) wouldn't need to travel back in person but would be landlocked during this time. We agreed that a short trip home would be our preference as we did not like the thought of not being able to travel home in case of an emergency.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Just to close the loop on this, I had my interview on the Tuesday and passports were back in hand by Thursday!