L-1A interview experience

Old Apr 15th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default L-1A interview experience

So we had our interview at the US Embassy in London today for our blanket L-1A/L2 visa. Thought I’d share with you how it went to help others in the same scenario…

We left the twins at my parents last night (I think kids under 14 are not required to attend the interview) so that we could leave on time for the 9am appointment. We got off at Marble Arch Station, walked towards Selfridges and turned into N Audley St. I stopped off at Gould’s pharmacy where I put our phones and car keys into a little bag, paid £3 and off it went into their locker (while my OH made a quick pit stop at Starbucks). We then headed 20 yards up the road to the Embassy.

8.50 – joined the queue outside the Embassy and enjoyed the glorious sunshine (be sure to take a coat/umbrella if the weather isn’t good) where someone checked our passports and interview confirmation letter while another person went down the queue reminding people that no electronic devices (headphones, mobile phones, key fobs, USB sticks etc) were permitted in the building. Cue a rush of people having to leave their place in the queue and flock to Gould's pharmacy

9.05 – went through security (like at an airport except you can bring in drinks as long as you taste them in front of the security). Then entered the building and stopped at the reception desk where the lady at the desk had a brief look though some of our papers and gave us a number (bit like at Argos). Sat down in the big waiting room and waited for our number to be called.

9.30 – our number got called and we went up to the window, where a lady checked through all our papers and took our fingerprints. After tapping info into her computer, she gave us a slip and told us to go to the cashier’s window and pay for my OH’s visa.

9.50 – sat back down and waited for our number to be called again for the “interview”

10.10 - got called to a 2nd window for the interview. A lovely American lady looked though our papers, we re-did our fingerprints (only one hand this time, chosen by the computer seemingly at random) while she chatted to us about the twins (who thankfully were not at the interview but whose passports she was holding). She then asked my OH (the L-1A applicant) three casual questions:
What does your company do?
How long have you worked there?
What is your role?

10.15 - she then instructed us to go back to the Cashiers desk to pay for the visas for me and the kids, then we went back to her where she explained a few things to us (about how, if travelling to the US separately, my OH can enter the US on his visa before me but not me before him) - and then told us to enjoy our stay in the US - from this conversation (and the fact we had been asked to pay for the outstanding visas for me and the twins), we had cleverly deduced that our visa applications had been successful

10.20 – queued up at the Courier desk to arrange the courier and pay the delivery fees

10.35 – we were back in the glorious sunshine…

I wasn’t asked a single question (not did I need to show my marriage certificate or the boys’ birth certificates which I had on me just in case).

Next steps, sorting my life out for the move - shipping companies, packing, check lists, leaving party... aah. Think I'll start with organising our leaving party. Priorities 'n all.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L-1A interview experience

Congrats!!

We had exact same experience, almost to the minute!

Good to see you got your priorities in order with leaving party!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

dazzymol is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow that sounds pretty efficient, I am expecting to go through that process in the next few weeks so I hope it goes as smoothly.

Thanks for the info
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ! What was your actual story? Why did you go for the L1?

I only ask because I am also technically eligible for the L1 (obviously depending on official outcome!)

Did you do this yourself or did you have a lawyer.

I haven't even started to think about applying due to kids and school exams but love hearing about success stories and experiences ! We are however, definately going to make the move, when the time is right.

Thanks so much.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Markstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds so easy! Possibly a silly question, or two questions, but were you both required to have the full medical (including blood test and inoculations) before this appointment, and if so, how long before did you go for it/them?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markstone492
Sounds so easy! Possibly a silly question, or two questions, but were you both required to have the full medical (including blood test and inoculations) before this appointment, and if so, how long before did you go for it/them?
its not an immigration visa .. no medical
Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victoria34

I only ask because I am also technically eligible for the L1 (obviously depending on official outcome!)

I haven't even started to think about applying due to kids and school exams but love hearing about success stories and experiences ! We are however, definately going to make the move, when the time is right.

Thanks so much.
the company lawyers normally file ..not you
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.

Those three questions were NOT "casual." Rather they were targeted.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Congratulations.

Those three questions were NOT "casual." Rather they were targeted.
You're absolutely right they certainly weren't casual (hence the " "). But she eased into the questions as though we were having a general chit chat
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice to hear it all went smoothly and they were friendly.

I didn't even get to the interview process as my HR have really messed up my petition.
Got a tense meeting with them next week to ask why they didn't process it properly. Apparently they said they didn't go forward because I didn't have a specific degree related with the position I was going for.

What about an individual petition with just 'specialized knowledge' if you can't use the blanket?

You may have seen my other long tiresome thread.

Congrats to all of you. Good luck with the move.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alfista1
Very nice to hear it all went smoothly and they were friendly.

I didn't even get to the interview process as my HR have really messed up my petition.
Got a tense meeting with them next week to ask why they didn't process it properly. Apparently they said they didn't go forward because I didn't have a specific degree related with the position I was going for.

What about an individual petition with just 'specialized knowledge' if you can't use the blanket?

You may have seen my other long tiresome thread.

Congrats to all of you. Good luck with the move.
Sorry to hear that. My OH's employers applied for a blanket L-1A visa for him. He didn't need a degree. Not sure if that helps though.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
Sorry to hear that. My OH's employers applied for a blanket L-1A visa for him. He didn't need a degree. Not sure if that helps though.
Yep I have so much evidence that a degree is not needed so no idea how HR are going to explain this one face to face with me. They will not admit to mistakes made I know them too well.

Last edited by alfista1; Apr 20th 2013 at 10:29 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Victoria34

Thanks so much.
Hi. I replied to this a few minutes ago but my reply has disappeared I think. We were adamant that we'd only move to the States if eligible for an L-1 visa (and preferably the L-1A) as that was the fastest route to a green card (I think). My OH's employer's lawyers dealt with the whole process (and luckily agreed that my OH was eligible for the L-1A) and all my OH had to do was provide details of his job role and responsibilities and where that fit within the company as well as copies of our passports and dates spent in the States in the last year. It thankfully was pretty straight forward.

Good luck with your process when you decide to go ahead with it.