Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L-1a to Green Card processing route?

L-1a to Green Card processing route?

Old Feb 18th 2019, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L-1a to Green Card processing route?

They are using FAD, so it's applications submitted before Jan 2018 that can file for Adjustment of Status.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

NewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
They are using FAD, so it's applications submitted before Jan 2018 that can file for Adjustment of Status.
Thank you that is not good. My priority date is October 2018 and the date for AOS seems to be Jan 01st. My L expires In Jan 2019. This has just become a lot more stressful.

Maybe I should leave the country for a bit and let it catch up!!
Old Feb 21st 2019, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

It was 2 years behind in August 2018, so it has caught up a little, but slowed in recent months. Assuming I am tracking this correctly.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

NewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond reputeNewStarter has a reputation beyond repute

It was 2 years behind in August 2018, so it has caught up a little, but slowed in recent months. Assuming I am tracking this correctly.
What nightmare, if I run out of L Status I assume I am screwed then. Have approved I-140 as well
Old Aug 11th 2019, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Bumping this thread. Is anyone else on an endless wait for their priority date to become current? For me it got so bad and time sensitive that my company applied for H1-B because apparently on that visa you can stay until your PD becomes current. I got picked in the lottery but now I am subject to an RFE, god it's exhausting. They're technically downgrading my visa from L1-A to H1-B to argue that I can stay whilst waiting for my PD to come up, as I am simply running out of time. How annoying as I already have an approved green card well the employment part, I just can't AOS and my status runs out in 5 months! Ugh.

Seems like I have the worst year ever to go from L1-A to a permanent resident. Just my luck.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:40 pm
The Hamburgler Incarnate!

Karlosthecackle is an unknown quantity at this point

I think i might be in the same boat.

My i-140 was submitted in August 2018 and approved in November so I've been watching the visa bulletins every month. I'm in the fifth year of my L1A so can extend again if needed however my wife is on an L1B so can't extend any further.

In July the FAD was April 2018. I've just looked at the August Bulletin today and it now says 1st July 2016!?! How can it go back two years?

I really don't understand how this works....
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's gone backwards because they have run out of visa numbers for this fiscal year and they need to stop any more from being issued.

The date should move forward in the October bulletin which is the first of the new fiscal year.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:56 pm
The Hamburgler Incarnate!

Karlosthecackle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olly_
It's gone backwards because they have run out of visa numbers for this fiscal year and they need to stop any more from being issued.

The date should move forward in the October bulletin which is the first of the new fiscal year.
Thanks. Do you think it's likely the date for filing will still move forward? I'm guessing if we can at least submit our AOS with a advanced parole/EAD request that should be enough to cover my wife's L1B expiring next year?
Old Aug 12th 2019, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

They expect the dates to go back to Apr22 2018 when the new Fiscal Year starts on 1st October for EB1 category. There has been a big uptick in the number of applicants over the past couple of years, and the other categories that used to be under subscribed have also filled-up - in past years they could use some of that towards EB1. In this Fiscal Year it has never been Current and they rarely jumped forward more than a month. If that trend continues it may well be early 2020 before mine becomes available (Aug 2018). We just extended our L1A/L2's, so at least we are good for that.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

They expect the dates to go back to Apr22 2018 when the new Fiscal Year starts on 1st October for EB1 category. There has been a big uptick in the number of applicants over the past couple of years, and the other categories that used to be under subscribed have also filled-up - in past years they could use some of that towards EB1. In this Fiscal Year it has never been Current and they rarely jumped forward more than a month. If that trend continues it may well be early 2020 before mine becomes available (Aug 2018). We just extended our L1A/L2's, so at least we are good for that.
My PD is October 2018 and I hit my 7 year maximum in Jan2020 so I am screwed I think.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

But only to what is was recently.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewStarter
My PD is October 2018 and I hit my 7 year maximum in Jan2020 so I am screwed I think.
Ouch, not good.

Have you spent much time outside of the US in the past 7 years? You can recapture that which might buy you a couple of months.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Millski is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NewStarter
Not necessarily, the filing date for EB1 ROW is currently sat at 01SEP18 which is agonisingly close to your PD; all you need is for that filing date to advance a couple of months and for USCIS to switch back to using the filing dates chart again and you're quids in. There's a chance this will happen shortly after the new fiscal year begins. As soon as you file to adjust status you can stay in the country until your case is adjudicated, which may be a while, but at least you won't have to worry about going out of status any more.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millski
Not necessarily, the filing date for EB1 ROW is currently sat at 01SEP18 which is agonisingly close to your PD; all you need is for that filing date to advance a couple of months and for USCIS to switch back to using the filing dates chart again and you're quids in. There's a chance this will happen shortly after the new fiscal year begins. As soon as you file to adjust status you can stay in the country until your case is adjudicated, which may be a while, but at least you won't have to worry about going out of status any more.
I was also picked in the lottery for H1-B lottery but got an RFE so if that gets approved I think I am good.

I you think USCIS is going to revert to FD's I think that is extremely hopefully. the updates have brought nothing but bad news for this entire fiscal year and they are clearly very backed up but thanks for trying to keep my spirits up!
Old Aug 14th 2019, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ouch, not good.

Have you spent much time outside of the US in the past 7 years? You can recapture that which might buy you a couple of months.
Probably 90 days or so.