L-1A chance of rejection

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L-1A chance of rejection

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You think that now...

I've just found out how much healthcare would cost for my wife and me if we have a child. $595 a *month*. I currently pay $80 a month. That's with a corporate group plan. I was also here on an L-1A until I became a Permanent Resident.
The 'fantastic life for kids' is an interesting one.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:42 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The 'fantastic life for kids' is an interesting one.
Frankly, I'm terrified of raising kids in the United States.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Must say I agree with you. Most of my colleagues/friends/acquaintances have a problem with one child or another, ranging from drop outs in college, taking 5 to 6 years for a 4 year course, minor drug/assault offences to being accused of accessory to homicide! I've lost count of the number that crash and write off their cars - seems to be a right of passage.

Whereas, most people I know in Europe have kids that go to college/university, get jobs and get on with their lives.

(I'm not saying its all perfect in Europe, it most certainly is not, but it seems this sense of entitlement and being exceptional is not getting US youth very far these days)
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:02 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Must say I agree with you. Most of my colleagues/friends/acquaintances have a problem with one child or another, ranging from drop outs in college, taking 5 to 6 years for a 4 year course, minor drug/assault offences to being accused of accessory to homicide! I've lost count of the number that crash and write off their cars - seems to be a right of passage.

Whereas, most people I know in Europe have kids that go to college/university, get jobs and get on with their lives.

(I'm not saying its all perfect in Europe, it most certainly is not, but it seems this sense of entitlement and being exceptional is not getting US youth very far these days)
For me, it's the fear of the costs involved. Everything just costs so much here in the grand scheme of things. Americans think their taxes are 'lower' than Europe's. Maybe. But they also have to shell out a LOT more for things the state just picks up.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It might sound bad in theory, but in practice it isn't so bad, so long as you make the right choices and remain "engaged", same as in the UK, really. If you think you can just live anywhere, and rely on local schools to handle all your child's education and guidance needs things might go off the rails, same as in the UK, really.

For me, it's the fear of the costs involved. ......
You don't have to live in Boston, MA!
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For me, it's the fear of the costs involved. Everything just costs so much here in the grand scheme of things.
After my husband immigrated to the USA and realized we need 2 incomes just to support ourselves, and there is no family around here to help with watching a baby or child until it goes to school, he changed his mind about wanting to have a child in the USA.

Rene
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Noorah101
After my husband immigrated to the USA and realized we need 2 incomes just to support ourselves, and there is no family around here to help with watching a baby or child until it goes to school, he changed his mind about wanting to have a child in the USA.

Rene
I can completely understand and appreciate that sentiment. Just taking my child to the urgent care would make me think 'do we really need to do this' rather than the 'be safe rather than sorry' approach I would have in England.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It might sound bad in theory, but in practice it isn't so bad, so long as you make the right choices and remain "engaged", same as in the UK, really. If you think you can just live anywhere, and rely on local schools to handle all your child's education and guidance needs things might go off the rails, same as in the UK, really.

You don't have to live in Boston, MA!

Well, I kinda do. My employment is here. BUT, that said, we will actively be looking to leave the area within 3-5 years to move to the west coast (more expense!)
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I kinda do. My employment is here. BUT, that said, we will actively be looking to leave the area within 3-5 years to move to the west coast (more expense!)
You're out of your gourd! There are pockets of civilization in other cities you know. .... Some people speak highly of Houston, I hear.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Harry2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your joking?!? Seriously? That's unbelievable! Does it differ from state to state do you know?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Cost if healthcare that is :-)
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harry2013
Nobody really understands how healthcare here works/ how much it costs. You just stump up
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:43 am

Somewhat, but more by employer. Some are generous in covering family, others not so much. But remember you may find your tax bill slashed compared to the UK.

When I came over I noticed that my pay slip went from approximately 35% mandatory deductions in the UK (income tax and NI), to approximately 25% mandatory deductions in the US, comprising income tax, social security, and INCLUDING health insurance as one of the US "mandatory" deductions. .... Before anyone comments, my property taxes are lower than my London council tax too.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:06 am
Banned

Your joking?!? Seriously? That's unbelievable! Does it differ from state to state do you know?
I've only lived in one state, so can't comment. However, it's undisputable that there are different costs involved in delivery healthcare services in certain states, so you will see an adjusted premium. The average cost is $329 according to a report I read today.

I get the impression, like Pulaski says, that it is entirely down to your employers contribution. My employer contributes more to the health plan for single employees without a spouse or children. Less so (ie, hardly anything) for those wishing to add children or a spouse. If I was going to start a family I would be looking to either push said employer to increase their contribution and lower the rates or leave and find another employer with good healthcare.

Healthcare is like a job lock in here in my opinion. If you get good healthcare, an employee will always stay because they know it can cost them an arm and a leg at another employer.

FWIW: I don't see my tax bill slashed greatly. I don't know what my marginal rate was last year as I filed a dual status tax return. This meant I lost the standard personal deduction which cost my family significantly.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Thank you everyone go your advice and input! It's great appreciated. I have just spoken to my husband and healthcare for all of us will be paid for by his employer so that is definitely a weight off!

The tax is without a doubt a serious plus for us as the amount we pay in the uk plus council tax stamp duty etc is ridiculous! We have had a look at a few houses in Houston and what toy can get for your money is amazing in comparison.

:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.