L-1 Visa, Marriage, Work... Help

Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

carrnicolas50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L-1 Visa, Marriage, Work... Help

Hi,

I have successfully been awarded an L-1 visa through my work and am moving to NY at the end of Feb.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend of two years doesnt have the right to work or live in America so to stay together we are thinking of getting married. It's not the way I planned for it and I am dreading telling the folks!

Is there any other way she can come over with me and work? Or do we need to get married so she can get an L-2 visa?

Furthermore, even with an L-2 visa I am under the impression she won't be able to work for up to 90 days. Is this correct? Is there no way she can get a permit to work as soon as we move over? 90 days in NY is a long time on one persons salary.

Finally, would my girlfriend be able to fly over with me, apply to work on an L-2 then go back and work for a month or so in the UK whilst waiting for approval.

Thanksin advance for your help,

N
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L-1 Visa, Marriage, Work... Help

Originally Posted by carrnicolas50
Is there any other way she can come over with me and work?
Unless she qualifies on her own for a visa, no.

Furthermore, even with an L-2 visa I am under the impression she won't be able to work for up to 90 days. Is this correct?
She must apply for employment authorization... it usually takes 90 days and, sadly, there's nothing you can do about it. Note: operative word = usually.

Finally, would my girlfriend be able to fly over with me, apply to work on an L-2 then go back and work for a month or so in the UK whilst waiting for approval.
Yes, this is feasible. However, she will need to be in the US for fingerprinting at some point prior to getting the authorization. It might be less expensive (what with air fare on the rise) to have her stay in the US.

Ian
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:45 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

at its 90 days on average from sending it in. you may not get round to it in the first few days as you will be busy settling i etc. Then double and triple check you have everything - as if you make a mistake they can send it back and the 90 days resets.

ps - my husbands firm are doing my EAD - when i can get round to filling it in that is (we been here since mid Oct!). The firm want my ssn number - which i have now so not an issue for me - but it took me a month or so to get from arrival so make sure you understand all the documents you might need to send in and how long it could take to get them. it may just be his firm being picky - but if you need an ssn - it could delay the application a month.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:05 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
at its 90 days on average from sending it in. you may not get round to it in the first few days as you will be busy settling i etc.
I didn't think this was an average - thought it was the maximum time they had to process before you were entitled to a temp EAD. While this is in no way indicative, back in 2005 my wife's came through in 4 weeks. She hadn't even started actively looking for work so was caught quite by surprise!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I didn't think this was an average - thought it was the maximum time they had to process before you were entitled to a temp EAD. While this is in no way indicative, back in 2005 my wife's came through in 4 weeks. She hadn't even started actively looking for work so was caught quite by surprise!
the normal process time now for an EAD is 90 days. It might even be 90 days from the time you get your biometrics done, not 90 days from the time you submit the I-765. Times have changed.

There is no more temp EAD given at the local office anymore, either.

Rene
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine last year in 6 weeks. No SSN required.