Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Kentucky Congresswoman... worthless!!

Kentucky Congresswoman... worthless!!

Old Oct 18th 2003, 3:37 am
The Survivors!!

Clare & Steven is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's any consolation, I called my Congressman when we had that extended delay between the NOA1 and 2 for our K-1. He was extremely helpful and explained the processing as he understood it. He had a contact at the INS and would call her now and then to get an update. Usually, it was..."they're still processing it". When we heard from him that it was finished processing and waiting for a signature, it was about 2 weeks from approval. I don't think that he sped it up, but it felt a bit more secure having a 'middleman' so to say. I asked him that same question when I first called him, and he said that it was their job to help us and that there was no way this would have a negative impact on our case. Steven's visa denial had nothing to do with those phone calls, I assure you
Clare

Originally posted by arvindkop
Mine is marriage based aos filed in Chicago. Both 1-800 number and information officer in Chicago told me the processing time is 22 months. In the latest AILA report, it is said 24 months. It will be 22 months for me next month, my 1st fingerprint already expired and haven't got 2nd fingerprint notice yet. So I guess my case will be overdue using the 22 months. Consider congressional inquiry, but worried may annoy those immigration officers and get further delayed.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 4:15 am
Just Joined

Anonomous One is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Try your US Senator's Office

I have found out from past experience that calling my US Senator's office was much more effective and they were far more responsive than my US Rep office.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 4:44 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Kentucky Congresswoman... worthless!!

arvindkop wrote:

> It is longer than the processing time given by BCIS 1-800 number.

I am confuesed. Are you the original poster?
This was not in the previous info

Old Oct 18th 2003, 4:48 am
Mrtravel

arvindkop wrote:

> Mine is marriage based aos filed in Chicago. Both 1-800 number and
    > information officer in Chicago told me the processing time is 22 months.
    > In the latest AILA report, it is said 24 months. It will be 22 months
    > for me next month, my 1st fingerprint already expired and haven't got
    > 2nd fingerprint notice yet. So I guess my case will be overdue using
    > the 22 months. Consider congressional inquiry, but worried may annoy
    > those immigration officers and get further delayed.

You said earlier "It is longer than the processing time given by BCIS
1-800 number.", now you are saying the time is 22 months and you will
hit 22 months next month.

Old Oct 18th 2003, 11:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Try your US Senator's Office

Originally posted by Anonomous One
I have found out from past experience that calling my US Senator's office was much more effective and they were far more responsive than my US Rep office.
Depends on your Senator. In New York we have Schumer and Clinton. For my money, neither are worth the cost of a subway ride. Our Congresswoman's office was great. They called Jim and I several times and went into Manhattan to the Congressional Unit at the Legacy INS office to obtain a special letter for Jim to enter the building right after they reopened after 9/11/01 and then met me in the city to deliver it as it was for the next day's use.

Others who have contacted Schumer and Clinton have had little luck in getting any positive service from these two offices.

Rete
Old Oct 18th 2003, 7:32 pm
Maryanne Kehoe

You can bet if the K-3 petitioner's name was Jack Daniels, the process
would be speeded up!

Re: Kentucky Congresswoman... worthless!!

Group: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Date: Fri, Oct 17, 2003, 7:12pm
(EDT+4) From: member@british_expats.com (sunflwrgrl13)
Originally posted by BritishInOhio
Why do you think yours should be speeded up at the expense of someone
elses slowing down? Just wait your turn like everyone else has done.
Only one good thing ever came of KY and that is I-71 all the way to
COLUMBUS, OH!!!!
What?? You don't appreciate good KY bourbon whiskey and horse racing?
;-)
--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 18th 2003, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Anonomous One is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NY Senators

Perhpas I am luck and happen to have a US Senator's office who is especially responsive to his constituent's needs. Certainly I had to wait until a certain date before they would make inquiry on my behalf...but once I got there....The ball started rolling very very fast.

I am sorry that Schummer and Hillary are not responsive. Perhaps it is time for Hillary to move some other state and run for office
Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:12 am
Southdixieblue

BritishInOhio: Besides the fact that Ann Northup is useless about a lot of
things, you didn't need to insult the State of Kentucky. For your information,
the building history of I-71 started in the state of PA and then ran south
through the state of Ohio to Kentucky. So, it doesn't come out of KY, it leads
to it. And another fact is if you drive down I-71 towards KY, the trip is so
boring and flat, Ohio doesn't even start getting pretty until it gets closer to
state line of Kentucky. Just because you transplanted yourself to Ohio,
doesn't mean you need to insult the other fine states of the Union.
Kentucky born and bred.

Old Oct 20th 2003, 12:25 am
Eoin

I'm in Ohio ... and I have to agree with you - too bloody flat. KY isn't
too bad (Only been on 75 and what ever the one is that goes towards
Nashville from Cinci) OR or WA would be the best landscape I have seen
so far in the USA.

SouthDixieBlue wrote:
    > BritishInOhio: Besides the fact that Ann Northup is useless about a lot of
    > things, you didn't need to insult the State of Kentucky. For your information,
    > the building history of I-71 started in the state of PA and then ran south
    > through the state of Ohio to Kentucky. So, it doesn't come out of KY, it leads
    > to it. And another fact is if you drive down I-71 towards KY, the trip is so
    > boring and flat, Ohio doesn't even start getting pretty until it gets closer to
    > state line of Kentucky. Just because you transplanted yourself to Ohio,
    > doesn't mean you need to insult the other fine states of the Union.
    > Kentucky born and bred.

Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
Why do you think yours should be speeded up at the expense of someone elses slowing down? Just wait your turn like everyone else has done.
Only one good thing ever came of KY and that is I-71 all the way to COLUMBUS, OH!!!!
A quote from the news...
"" PENSACOLA, Fla. - Two National Guard soldiers who married Iraqi women against their commander's wishes will have to wait at least eight months to return home with their brides, according to a lawyer for one of the soldiers. The men had wanted to send their wives, both physicians, to the United States sooner because of threats from anti-American Iraqis. ""

BIO..... While I asked only a general question. Would this be fair then? Let them take a number and stand in line too, I would say.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It does sound like at least they will be together (over there) while they wait. Better off than a lot of us.

Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
A quote from the news...
"" PENSACOLA, Fla. - Two National Guard soldiers who married Iraqi women against their commander's wishes will have to wait at least eight months to return home with their brides, according to a lawyer for one of the soldiers. The men had wanted to send their wives, both physicians, to the United States sooner because of threats from anti-American Iraqis. ""

BIO..... While I asked only a general question. Would this be fair then? Let them take a number and stand in line too, I would say.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

glasgowm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
A quote from the news...

I think they should make an exception and let them come back to the US. If their life is truly in danger from marrying an American then let them cut to the front of the line. They can certainly cut in front of me.

I wrote my Congressman and Senators last week, just before this discussion began. I immediately got a response back from my Congresswoman, Susan Davis, asking for more information. I sent that in today. We'll see what happens. I'm not expecting much.

But, on a good note, it looks like we might get approved before my Rep. has a chance to do anything, at least that's what I hope.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 10:19 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

I think contacting a congress person or Senator IS useful. If everyone contacted their local representitive to complain in general that waiting times are just too damn long, maybe it would actually get through to someone important that the USICS needs more funding (didn't someone once say that not all the visa fees are actually used on processing visas?)
Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:34 am
Mrtravel

dutchman2001nl wrote:

> A quote from the news...
    >
    > "" PENSACOLA, Fla. - Two National Guard soldiers who married Iraqi
    > women against their commander's wishes will have to wait at least eight
    > months to return home with their brides, according to a lawyer for one
    > of the soldiers. The men had wanted to send their wives, both
    > physicians, to the United States sooner because of threats from anti-
    > American Iraqis. ""
    >
    > BIO..... While I asked only a general question. Would this be fair then?
    > Let them take a number and stand in line too, I would say.
    >

1. The reporter doesn't know how to write. He makes it sound like
"against their commander's wishes" is the reason for the 8 month delay.

2. Yes, it would be fair, if they are in danger. In fact, I would
suggest they go to the Embassy and ask for refugee status.

3. And since there husbands are going to be stuck over their in harms
way, they should get a break...