Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

kdog's Question on Bringing Parents to USA

kdog's Question on Bringing Parents to USA

Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

kdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default kdog's Question on Bringing Parents to USA

thanks Rete,

what is the procedure to sponsor parents after one becomes a citizen ? How long is the process. Her Parents reside in Dubai
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Timeline for Chicago

Originally Posted by kdog

what is the procedure to sponsor parents after one becomes a citizen ? How long is the process. Her Parents reside in Dubai

How Do I Bring My Parents to Live in the United States?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

finally, we have received a letter in mail today from USCIS for Oath ceremony scheduled for Feb 20th. What a relief ! thanks everyone .

KD
Congrats!

btw, Immigrant Visa application, from petition to visa in hand = about 8-10 months.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

thanks, thats not bad at all, considering consular processing in the embassy overseas.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:49 pm

thanks, thats not bad at all, considering consular processing in the embassy overseas.
There are some links here that will show you some ways to streamline the (till fairly new) NVC/National Visa Center steps. That is the part that can really slow down the folks' applications. Watch out for a couple of differences in the petitioning process that are different from a spousal petition.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

thanks again,

What is the timeline for I-130 approval these days. NSC does not even list the I-130 processing times. I have heard different stories from people we have spoken with about sponsoring our parents. Some have had I-130 approved in 2 months, while others have been waiting for over 4 months now.

is it better to hire a lawyer for this process ? I thought we did not have to do anything with NVC as the USCIS will send the approved I-130 to NVC for immediate relatives as soon as they approve it .

please recommend some lawyers in the chicago area if its worth discussing this with them

KD's wife.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks again,

What is the timeline for I-130 approval these days. NSC does not even list the I-130 processing times. I have heard different stories from people we have spoken with about sponsoring our parents. Some have had I-130 approved in 2 months, while others have been waiting for over 4 months now.

is it better to hire a lawyer for this process ? I thought we did not have to do anything with NVC as the USCIS will send the approved I-130 to NVC for immediate relatives as soon as they approve it .

please recommend some lawyers in the chicago area if its worth discussing this with them

KD's wife.
kdog,

Since this was off the topic of naturalization, I moved your posts to a new thread.

I know someone who just did an I-130 for spouse, it took 8 months through NSC, but that was with an RFE involved (request for further evidence).

In my opinion, the process is pretty straightforward and a lawyer is not necessarily needed unless there are some past overstays or criminal history.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:37 pm

thanks again,

KD's wife.

The timeline for I-130s is 3-6 months average for approval.

The file is then forwarded to the NVC/National Visa Center. 2-4 weeks.

The file begins the visa application portion. NVC sends and receives DS-3032, DS-230 I, & I-864 in a phased, staged series. 2-4 months.

Case is then forwarded to the Consulate overseas when an interview date approaches. 1-2 months to interview.

Post interview: unknown time for security checks or "Administrative Processing".
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the timeline for I-130 approval these days. NSC does not even list the I-130 processing times.
Hi:

Why would NSC list processing times on I-130's since they no longer do them? They are processed in either VSC or CSC -- but all are now filed at the Chicago lockbox of the NBC.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:03 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kdog's Question on Bringing Parents to USA

Dubai to chicago ..thats going to be a shock ...
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

well, they have been here several times on B1 visit visas.........dad's visa expired in 06/2005. He has applied 4 times for a new B1/B2 since then, but they keep refusing it, even though he has never been out of status or over-stayed etc....

his visa refusal is the reason we are opting for the sponsorship route. Honestly, if they issue him some kind of visa so he can visit once or twice a year I wouldnt bother with sponsorship.

KD
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 2:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

well, they have been here several times on B1 visit visas.........dad's visa expired in 06/2005. He has applied 4 times for a new B1/B2 since then, but they keep refusing it, even though he has never been out of status or over-stayed etc....

his visa refusal is the reason we are opting for the sponsorship route. Honestly, if they issue him some kind of visa so he can visit once or twice a year I wouldnt bother with sponsorship.

KD
Just remember that once they become US PRs, they will have to actually live in the USA. They can't keep going back and forth and spending only a few weeks in the USA.

Rene
Old May 7th 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

hello everyone,

we are about ready to file for parent's sponsorship. Can you please let us know if I have to file I-864 along with the I-130 together.

thanks
kdog
Old May 7th 2008, 9:07 pm

hello everyone,

we are about ready to file for parent's sponsorship. Can you please let us know if I have to file I-864 along with the I-130 together.

thanks
kdog
No. The I-864 will be asked for at a later date, I believe.

Rene
Old May 7th 2008, 9:42 pm
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
The timeline for I-130s is 3-6 months average for approval.

The file is then forwarded to the NVC/National Visa Center. 2-4 weeks.

The file begins the visa application portion. NVC sends and receives DS-3032, DS-230 I, & I-864 in a phased, staged series. 2-4 months.

Case is then forwarded to the Consulate overseas when an interview date approaches. 1-2 months to interview.

Post interview: unknown time for security checks or "Administrative Processing".
Hi
I would just like to add that I-130's through USCIS is currently taking longer than 6 months. We've been waiting for 6 months with no activity at all on our file and according to the processing times we've at least another couple of months to wait until we get the petition approved, so that will probably be at least 9-10 months just to get the petition approved before it goes to the NVC. We're using the I-130 for spousal immigration, I believe it takes even longer for parents, as they are not seen as being of as high a priority as spouses (who are second only to birth children).

While the theory is 8-10 months from filing petition to visa, that is not the current reality due to USCIS backlogs caused by the fee rise last summer.

Lyn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.