Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Just starting: affidavit of support question

Just starting: affidavit of support question

Old Jul 31st 2002, 3:20 pm
Mark Davies

Default Just starting: affidavit of support question

Hi there,

I've just started looking at all the things my fiancee and I need to do for me to
receive the K-1 visa, so I can go over there and eventually live happily ever
after with my Kelli. It looks like a long tunnel - but it has a shiny bright light
at the end.

However, the only thing that is scaring me is the 'affidavit of support' form which
the petitioner sends off to the INS. My Kelli is a student, and so does not have an
income. I would be the one supporting us both. We have both saved up quite a lot of
money, and will carry on to save up - but does our savings count on this form? In
fact, does any money I earn/save count? I have a good income, and I'm sure could
find a job over there with a good income.

Would we need a co-sponsor in our case?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Old Jul 31st 2002, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just starting: affidavit of support question

Hi,
Firstly, you don't send off the I-864 (affadavit) you don't need that
until you take it to the interview.
If you could give "us" a bit more information, such as where are you both from (countries) where are you living now etc "the lot"
on here can take it from there.

Good luck
Old Jul 31st 2002, 6:20 pm
Maarten W.G. An

> However, the only thing that is scaring me is the 'affidavit of support' form
    > which the petitioner sends off to the INS. My Kelli is a student, and so does not
    > have an income. I would be the one supporting us both. We have both saved up
    > quite a lot of money, and will carry on to save up - but does our savings count
    > on this form? In fact, does any money I earn/save count? I have a good income,
    > and I'm sure could find a job over there with a good income.
    >
    > Would we need a co-sponsor in our case?

If your assets (savings) combined are more then 5 times the required minimum income
then you can immigrate using that as your income. Right now the minumum income
(poverty level) is roughly $14.000 a year, which would mean you would need roughly
$70.000 in savings.

If you make $5.000 a year, you would only need 5 times $9.000
(14.000-5.000=9.000) or $45.000 in savings. If you don't have these kind of savings
you will need a co-sponsor.

Maarten

Old Jul 31st 2002, 11:20 pm
Mark Davies

rogerpenycate <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, Firstly, you don't send off the I-864 (affadavit) you don't need that until you
    > take it to the interview. If you could give "us" a bit more information, such as
    > where are you both from (countries) where are you living now etc "the lot" on here
    > can take it from there.
    >
    > Good luck

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I see I've got all of my information muddled up! I'm just
really looking to see what we have to do for me to get married in the US. I'm from
Edinburgh, Scotland, and I'm a software engineer. My fiancee is a student in
Phoenix, Arizona. We were looking to marry in summer next year, around August.
We're planning ahead!!

I've had a look at a few web sites and time lines to see what needs to be done.
There seems to be millions of form and things we need to do, however the only thing
which is really scaring and worrying me is this I-864. Being a student, my Kelli
does not have an income, however she does have savings (a lot, but not $70,000
worth). I also have a lot of savings, and a good income.

Could I put my income on the I-864 even though I will obviously be quiting my job
in order to move to the US?

Thanks for your reply and help. Any more info you need let me know.

thanks again,

Mark

Old Jul 31st 2002, 11:20 pm
Mark Davies

> If your assets (savings) combined are more then 5 times the required minimum income
    > then you can immigrate using that as your income. Right now the minumum income
    > (poverty level) is roughly $14.000 a year, which would mean you would need roughly
    > $70.000 in savings.
    >
    > If you make $5.000 a year, you would only need 5 times $9.000
    > (14.000-5.000=9.000) or $45.000 in savings. If you don't have these kind of savings
    > you will need a co-sponsor.
    >
    > Maarten

So do I get to put my income (which I earn in Britain) on this form? Even though I
will be quiting my job once I get the K-1 visa, so I could move over there with my
bride to be?

thanks a lot for your help,

Mark

Old Jul 31st 2002, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Karib is an unknown quantity at this point

If you plan to use the K1 visa, then u will need the affadavit of support I 134. The I 864 comes into it once u are married in the USA and plan to apply for AOS.

With the I 134 they will only want to know the US citizen's income and/or assets. If she doesnt meet 125% of the poverty level, starting from around £14,000 for a household of 2, then she will need a co-sponsor.
Old Aug 1st 2002, 1:20 am
Texandie

Hi Mark,

My understanding of the "Affadavit of Support" is that it's HER income alone that
they will consider...NOT yours. Not yet anyway. (If the two of you were already
married, then you would be able to use both incomes.) If she has no income, and no
property with value, SHE will have to obtain an co-sponsor in order to get you into
the States. The answer to your question is NO, you do not get to use YOUR income,
only Kelli's. Are you two considering a K-1 visa? I would recommend that you have her
find a co-sponsor in advance, because they will want one if she can't prove she has
an income and/or assets to meet the guidelines. With your line of work, have you
considered trying to get an American company to sponsor you? I used to work for a
software company that programmed in a languaged called "Clarion" which is not a very
common language...anyway, they had a Chinese and a French programmer....both
sponsored by the company.

Good luck!

Andria

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 5:20 pm
Johnson Pervis

Before you ever get to the I-864 Affidavit of Support, you must first pass the I-134
Affidavit of Support. The I-134 comes into play after the I-129F has been approved
and it is the Petitioner's income and/or savings that comes into play. Unless she
earns 125% above poverty level, and/or has 5X the difference between income and 125%
of poverty level in savings, she will need a JOINT Sponsor. The Joint Sponsor can be
any US Citizen or US Perm. Resident.

You can't combine your savings with hers for the I-134. However, for the I-864, if
you have been living together for at least 6 months, your income and assets can be
combined. However, when filing AOS, you won't have been living together for 6 months
as you have to file AOS within 90 days of arrival to the US. So, you get a Joint
Sponsor for the I-864 when filing AOS and when you go to your interview you withdraw
the Joint Sponsor and file a new I-864 with your income and assets counted. Many
people before you have done this with success.

Hope this helps.

--
Johnson "Mark Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > If your assets (savings) combined are more then 5 times the required
minimum
    > > income then you can immigrate using that as your income. Right now the minumum
    > > income (poverty level) is roughly $14.000 a year, which would
mean
    > > you would need roughly $70.000 in savings.
    > >
    > > If you make $5.000 a year, you would only need 5 times $9.000
    > > (14.000-5.000=9.000) or $45.000 in savings. If you don't have these kind
of
    > > savings you will need a co-sponsor.
    > >
    > > Maarten
    >
    > So do I get to put my income (which I earn in Britain) on this form? Even though I
    > will be quiting my job once I get the K-1 visa, so I could move over there with my
    > bride to be?
    >
    > thanks a lot for your help,
    >
    > Mark