Just checking...

Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just checking...

Now that I have my Immig. Visa - I have to activate before May 18, we plan to make a (short )trip to the USA in April.

However, I have my Masters degree exams in May (the university won't release the actual exam dates before the end of March) so I cannot take a chance and leave it up to the wire, as knowing sods law, they will fall on the dates I'd be out there.

So...assuming I go out to the USA in April, activate visa, begin prep. for permanent life, return to the UK just before May, stay in the UK in May, do the exams, and return back to the US, do you think this will be a problem when returning back to the US, given my first trip out there will be so short.....?
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:05 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just checking...

No. When we activated mine, we were in the US for less than 24 hours.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chartreuse, how long did you leave it before returning back there?
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:09 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Thanks Chartreuse, how long did you leave it before returning back there?
Four or five months. There was a lot to sort out.

Edited to add: That's not strictly true. I did come back to the US twice in the interim, house hunting and such like. But it was four or five months until the big move, with shipping and all.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hehe, I know that feeling. Thanks again.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Just checking...(updated)

Bump. Quick question on follow up here.

When I travel to CA in April to activate my LPR status, my USC wife will accompany me. I have to come back for the aforementioned exams, and she will also come back with me.

After the exams, I will go back to the US straight away permanently but my wife has been offered an opportunity to complete a project at work here. Needless to say it would be financially worthwhile.

Her new employer in the US is very cool about this I hasten to add, and if she did the project she would stay in the UK until around September time, at which time, she reverts back to the US joining me permanently.

My question now, is there any possible negative concerns, problems, issues /effects with her joint sponsorship and domicile, given I potentially would be in the US by myself for a few months?

This is not set in stone and if there are issues would immediately reconsider this plan, but wondered if this possible? Or am I being overly paranoid?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just checking...(updated)

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Bump. Quick question on follow up here.

When I travel to CA in April to activate my LPR status, my USC wife will accompany me. I have to come back for the aforementioned exams, and she will also come back with me.

After the exams, I will go back to the US straight away permanently but my wife has been offered an opportunity to complete a project at work here. Needless to say it would be financially worthwhile.

Her new employer in the US is very cool about this I hasten to add, and if she did the project she would stay in the UK until around September time, at which time, she reverts back to the US joining me permanently.

My question now, is there any possible negative concerns, problems, issues /effects with her joint sponsorship and domicile, given I potentially would be in the US by myself for a few months?

This is not set in stone and if there are issues would immediately reconsider this plan, but wondered if this possible? Or am I being overly paranoid?
As long as your USC wife is with you when you enter on your immigrant visa, then it's fine if you have to spend some time apart (you in the USA, she in the UK) after that.

Rene