Just arrived in SF on an H1B visa

Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of
Default Just arrived in SF on an H1B visa

Hi

I've been following this forum over last two months - thanks to all the great contributions: it's really helped.

My experiences:

1. interviews in SF bay area in late August as a potential new hire; middle October got the job offer; flew out on December 5th with a one-way ticket

2. the HR guy here told me they already started working on the H1B visa application in September, before the offer came, and my passport was updated with H1B visa on 23rd November at US consulate (Singapore)

3. I've followed much of the advice on the forum, except I overlooked booking a driving appointment and driving test before arriving - when I tried this week the first appointments are in early January... I should have booked the appointment 3-4 weeks days before flying out. Now I have to wait.

4. I went to a car dealer today, and they were pretty relaxed - not the hard sell I expected. They were ready to do a good deal, but said as I did not have a Social Security Number, nor an Int'l driving licence then I could not buy today. Definitely a soft sell! So I'll continue to rent a car for now. No problem.

5. I opened a bank account before arriving by using the US branch of my bank in UK. The credit card arrived today, but could not be activated because I do not have a Social Secuity Number yet - off to the Social Security office in San Jose the morning... do you know the road to San Jose? Diane Warwick, bless.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived in SF on an H1B visa

Hi there,
Any updates on how you're going?

Cheers,

Originally Posted by chuckles67
Hi

I've been following this forum over last two months - thanks to all the great contributions: it's really helped.

My experiences:

1. interviews in SF bay area in late August as a potential new hire; middle October got the job offer; flew out on December 5th with a one-way ticket

2. the HR guy here told me they already started working on the H1B visa application in September, before the offer came, and my passport was updated with H1B visa on 23rd November at US consulate (Singapore)

3. I've followed much of the advice on the forum, except I overlooked booking a driving appointment and driving test before arriving - when I tried this week the first appointments are in early January... I should have booked the appointment 3-4 weeks days before flying out. Now I have to wait.

4. I went to a car dealer today, and they were pretty relaxed - not the hard sell I expected. They were ready to do a good deal, but said as I did not have a Social Security Number, nor an Int'l driving licence then I could not buy today. Definitely a soft sell! So I'll continue to rent a car for now. No problem.

5. I opened a bank account before arriving by using the US branch of my bank in UK. The credit card arrived today, but could not be activated because I do not have a Social Secuity Number yet - off to the Social Security office in San Jose the morning... do you know the road to San Jose? Diane Warwick, bless.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Any updates on how you're going?
What... since Friday?

Ian
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

social security office in San Jose was straightforward: got there at 9am on Friday, by 10am I had finished the interview and paperwork, and was off to work. The SSN card will be mailed to me in 2-3 weeks. It's important to have a boss at work who realizes you need to get out to get things sorted.

Decided to relax over the weekend: I can't do much more immigration-wise until I get the SSN, and anyway I have to fly to China today monday to visit the company factories.

My first weekend in California: Went to the Golden Gate Park and walked down to the Pacific Ocean. Saw a film. Went to a great second hand book shop in Richmond called Green Apple (huge stock and lots of discounts). Hardware store shopping. Dodging the december rain. Calls back to UK etc etc! Cheers.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

Koooooool!

Thanks

Cheers,

social security office in San Jose was straightforward: got there at 9am on Friday, by 10am I had finished the interview and paperwork, and was off to work. The SSN card will be mailed to me in 2-3 weeks. It's important to have a boss at work who realizes you need to get out to get things sorted.

Decided to relax over the weekend: I can't do much more immigration-wise until I get the SSN, and anyway I have to fly to China today monday to visit the company factories.

My first weekend in California: Went to the Golden Gate Park and walked down to the Pacific Ocean. Saw a film. Went to a great second hand book shop in Richmond called Green Apple (huge stock and lots of discounts). Hardware store shopping. Dodging the december rain. Calls back to UK etc etc! Cheers.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Excellent and congratulations! Going nice and smoothly for you.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the valley of silicon and plastic.

Hi

My experiences:

Thanks again.