Japan divorce question

Old Feb 18th 2001, 5:13 am
William Jones

Hi all,

I am trying to get some information for a Japanese woman. She has been my E-pal for a
few years and now she is in need of help, so she asked me. To give you the short
story, she met an American guy online, eventually got married in Japan, and now things
are not working out. They did Direct Consular Filing and I think her visa may soon be
on its way to her US address but she is still in Japan because of the major problems
they have been having. After trying to work things out, she has decided to divorce
him. She is so stressed and confused and asked me for advice. I told her I would have
to ask people who are more experience than I am and get back to her.

She asked me what she should do next, if her husband could somehow stop her from
getting a divorce, and what should she do about her visa that will be going to her US
address since she is not leaving now? Any information that anyone can give me to pass
on to her would be greatly appreciated. I really angers me that such a jerk could
screw over such a beautiful, caring, and sincere woman. Someone please help me bring
her smile back. Thanks in advance.

- William
PS, My fiancée, Emiko, should have her visa next month! Thanks to everyone who answered my
questions this last year, and all of your wonderful web sites that are information rich.
We are getting married in Hawaii on July 4th

Old Feb 18th 2001, 9:18 am
Alvena Ferreira

William Jones wrote:
> I am trying to get some information for a Japanese woman. She has been my E-pal for
> a few years and now she is in need of help, so she asked me. To give you the short
> story, she met an American guy online, eventually got married in Japan, and now
> things are not working out. They did Direct Consular Filing and I think her visa may
> soon be on its way to her US address but she is still in Japan because of the major
> problems they have been having. After trying to work things out, she has decided to
> divorce him. She is so stressed and confused and asked me for advice. I told her I
> would have to ask people who are more experience than I am and get back to her.

If they did DCF, her visa would be available to her in tokyo, not in the US...she
would need the visa to enter the US. Generally, 2-3 months after DCF is done, the
Japanese spouse gets the visa...if she has not attended a 2nd interview, then she
cannot get the visa...

All she basically needs to do is get a legal divorce and a divorce attorney could likely
handle that for her.

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net;/users/thehydes

Old Feb 18th 2001, 1:47 pm
Onigiri

> William Jones wrote:
> > I am trying to get some information for a Japanese woman. She has
been
> > my E-pal for a few years and now she is in need of help, so she asked
me.When it is mid morning in the far east, it is the evening prime time in the USA. People
who are bored with the life in the far east ( spouse off to work, have extra time) tend
to talk to people bored with reruns on television in the USA. Distant friends are
always much cleaner and when in cyber space they can be switched off easily when they
become tedious. You may not be the person to offer advice.
> > To give you the short story, she met an American guy online, eventually
got
> > married in Japan,
To legally wed in Japan, the couple will go to the "ward office" and register their
marriage. This procedure is easier than getting service at the DMV in many states
in the USA.
> > and now things are not working out. They did Direct Consular Filing and I think her
> > visa may soon be on its way to her US
address << Alvena already addressed this misconception>>
> > but she is still in Japan because of the major problems they have been having. After
> > trying to work things out, she has decided to
divorce What about him ? If he too wants a divorce, and they do not have kids and willing
to settle their property disputes amicably, then they can get a "ward office" divorce: The
married parties go to the ward office and register their divorce - as simple as getting
married, done in about 30-40 minutes of mostly holding a number and waiting for it to be
called. This variety of divorce is recognized as valid for relinquishing legal
responsibility for each other and for remarriages. However, because this is
"extra-judicial" , more explanations have to be offered as to its sufficiency for
remarriage if there is to be a I-129F in this woman's future. That is, if another american
citizen wants to file a fiancee visa petition in the future for this woman, this "ward
office divorce" will be questioned in the form of a RFE from the INS-service center and
cause a minor delay in the visa processing.

> > him. She is so stressed and confused and asked me for advice. I told
her I
> > would have to ask people who are more experience than I am and get back
to
> > her.
Cut my response above and paste it in your email.
> If they did DCF, her visa would be available to her in tokyo, not in the US...she
> would need the visa to enter the US. Generally, 2-3 months after DCF is done, the
> Japanese spouse gets the visa...if she has not attended a 2nd interview, then she
> cannot get the visa...
>
> All she basically needs to do is get a legal divorce and a divorce attorney could likely
> handle that for her.

If the three conditions I mentioned above (husband wants it too, no kids, no property
disputes) are present, then a legal process through the courts is not necessary in Japan.
If one of the conditions is absent, then a legal process will be foisted upon them at the
cost of a tedious delay as well as a pretty Yen.

> alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net;/users/thehydes