J1 visa question

Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Aquaman92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 visa question

Hi all,

I have been accepted and placed at a summer camp to work as a swimming instructor for the duration of the summer. I am currently waiting for my visa paperwork to come through in the post before booking my appointment

5 years ago this month I recieved a dr10 which I was completely open and honest about when applying and due to this I apparently need to attend a 'special interview' as opposed to the standard appointments which all other participants will attend.

I already have my ACPO form and have been made aware I 'may' be sent for a medical I'm just wondering what the chances are of this given the time period ? Is there a set guideline where people get sent for Medicals eg 3,5 years ? I don't drink at all but have heard the horror stories about people being rejected because of a failed medical.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 visa question

[DR10 = "It is an offence for a person to drive or attempt to drive a motor vehicle on a road or other public place with excess alcohol in his breath, blood or urine as evidenced by a certificate of analysis or printout."]
Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquaman92
I'm just wondering what the chances are of this given the time period ?
Probably good.

Is there a set guideline where people get sent for Medicals eg 3,5 years ?
No.

... have heard the horror stories about people being rejected because of a failed medical.
A failed medical will often cause a visa denial, yes. That said, the overwhelming majority of folks do not fail the medical. If all you're looking for are horror stories, that's what you're going to find!

I don't drink at all...
Well... not any more, right?

Ian
Old Mar 6th 2015, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear did you mean my chances are good in regards to not being sent for a medical or there is a good chance I will be sent for one ?

I'm confident I won't have any issues when I go to my visa appointment especially given the time frame I'm most likely panicking un-neccesarily!
Old Mar 6th 2015, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquaman92
Just to be clear did you mean my chances are good in regards to not being sent for a medical or there is a good chance I will be sent for one ?
Sorry - I wasn't really clear. I think the chances are good that you will not be sent for a medical. It's been 5 years, so one way or another it's not likely to be a major issue. Those who do get sent for medicals seem to be sent for them if the offense is within a year or two. That's not a rule, just a general observation.

I'm most likely panicking un-neccesarily!
You probably are... but that's completely understandable.

Ian
Old Mar 6th 2015, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

No worries once again thanks for the quick reply!

I was the same before my first time travelling to the USA 2 summers ago! I spent a good 2 years making sure I was actually eligible to use ESTA.

Ill update the thread with my experiences at the embassy for any future reference if someone has any similar questions.

Blake
Old Aug 16th 2015, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Just a little update for anyone with a similar question in the future!

I've just returned from working for the Summer in Texas and had a grand old time, the visa process at the embassy was completely painless minus the 3hour wait. I was asked a few questions such as 'what will you be doing and where?' and that was that my J-1 was approved!

The only time you will be sent for a medical (in a similar situation) is if the offence was in the last 5 years.