J1 Visa interview; police caution

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:13 am
Just Joined

jmurph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 Visa interview; police caution

Hi,
I just had my J1 visa interview... The representative in the consultae seemed fine and it was very quick, but at the end I asked about the issue of a police caution and whether i needed to tick "yes" to the have you ever been arrested question. He seemed bemused and went off and asked someone if i needed anything. I luckily had my ACPO cert with me (as advised on this board).

Am now feeling panicked and that i've essentially shot myself in the foot, as I may now be decliend on the basis of my caution when they hadnt detected in the first place!!!

Anyone any similar experience??? I feel like crying, as I think by being honest I've done the wrong thing!!
(I am meant to leave for the States on Tuesday of next week, and now I may not be able to as I may have in fact delayed the process!).
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 Visa interview; police caution

Originally Posted by jmurph
... at the end I asked about the issue of a police caution and whether i needed to tick "yes" to the have you ever been arrested question.
Why... oh why on earth did you ask?

I feel like crying, as I think by being honest I've done the wrong thing!!
I regret that this has happened - but honesty is always the best policy. That said, keeping the truth to yourself is not the same thing as being "dishonest".

Ian
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

I was under the impression that only after you have attended the interview do they check your police records... I didn't want to lie, and then have my name blacklisted for that! Plus I was scared that homeland security would nab me at departure.

I feel bad enough as it is
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

still no word....

Any idea on how a j1 visa is declined/accepted? They have my passport and documentation so just wondering how this will play out?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

still no word....

Any idea on how a j1 visa is declined/accepted? They have my passport and documentation so just wondering how this will play out?
What was the caution for?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

technically "shoplifting" (theft of) an empty beer keg while at uni.
was at a particularly drink ridden nasty point in my life... and I'll never do anything like it again!! i didnt think it was that serious at the time but it got me a "confirmed caution" on my ASPO cert.

Am sick with worry now
Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

sunshine22 is an unknown quantity at this point

technically "shoplifting" (theft of) an empty beer keg while at uni.
was at a particularly drink ridden nasty point in my life... and I'll never do anything like it again!! i didnt think it was that serious at the time but it got me a "confirmed caution" on my ASPO cert.

Am sick with worry now
hi jmurph, did u get your visa?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine22
hi jmurph, did u get your visa?
The post you are responding to was made in November 2009... and the guy has not posted since then.

Ian