J1 Visa extension

Old Oct 9th 2012, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Colinthepod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 Visa extension

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew about the possibility of a J1 visa extension. I've been working at a summer camp the past 2 years (6 months each of the past 2 summers) and they have mentioned they would be willing to extend my visa. My boss out there is an English guy who said when he was working there (through camp America or a similar company) he managed to get an 18 month visa extension. I've been searching around on the embassy sites and the Internet, and I haven't really found much information on this. He extended his visa around 7 years ago through the J1 extension so I am sure the visa regulations have changed a lot since then. Does anyone know if this extension is still an option?

Thanks,

Colin
Old Oct 9th 2012, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 Visa extension

Originally Posted by Colinthepod
Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew about the possibility of a J1 visa extension. I've been working at a summer camp the past 2 years (6 months each of the past 2 summers) and they have mentioned they would be willing to extend my visa. My boss out there is an English guy who said when he was working there (through camp America or a similar company) he managed to get an 18 month visa extension. I've been searching around on the embassy sites and the Internet, and I haven't really found much information on this. He extended his visa around 7 years ago through the J1 extension so I am sure the visa regulations have changed a lot since then. Does anyone know if this extension is still an option?

Thanks,

Colin
Hi, I don't know the answer to your question but I have been looking into J1 visas for summer camps as my 17yr old nephew is hoping to get out next summer as a tennis camp counselor and I read that there had been significant reform of the J1s for summer work commencing Nov 1 2012. I researched and sent this document to my sister to read - not sure if it will be of any help to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Regs Summer Work Program.pdf (305.6 KB, 136 views)
Old Oct 9th 2012, 7:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 Visa extension

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Hi, I don't know the answer to your question but I have been looking into J1 visas for summer camps as my 17yr old nephew is hoping to get out next summer as a tennis camp counselor and I read that there had been significant reform of the J1s for summer work commencing Nov 1 2012. I researched and sent this document to my sister to read - not sure if it will be of any help to you.
Aye, not read to much into it myself, but it seems BUNAC is now out of the question, for the year at least, which is a shame.