J1 visa

Old Jul 25th 2015, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

ANACOR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 visa

Hi, does anyone know the answer to this question?

If someone applies for a j1 training visa, and has a few years ago applied to the green card lottery. Can the application be rejected because of that and do they have the information you applied to it one day?
Old Jul 26th 2015, 12:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 visa

Originally Posted by ANACOR
Can the application be rejected because of that and do they have the information you applied to it one day?
It is perfectly legal to have multiple visa applications in process at the same time - therefore, a previous DV entry will have no negative effect whatsoever on a current J-1 visa application.

Ian
Old Jul 26th 2015, 1:02 am
Just Joined

ANACOR is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Iam, however I just read in several immigration articles that since a J1 is a non immigrant visa, if you applied to the green card lottery this will make them deny your visa as it expresses immigration intention. My question is: Do they know you applied to the green card lottery if your name was never selected? do they keep track of that? Or they can only know if your name was ever selected?
Old Jul 26th 2015, 4:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In another thread, you said your O-1 petition just got approved and you're going to attend that interview soon. Why are you asking about a J-1 visa now?

Rene
Old Jul 26th 2015, 11:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANACOR
I just read in several immigration articles that since a J1 is a non immigrant visa, if you applied to the green card lottery this will make them deny your visa as it expresses immigration intention....
As I said before, your previous DV application will have no negative consequences. It doesn't matter whether or not anyone knows you applied... it's irrelevant. You need to step away from the computer and get on with life. Really!

You keep reading articles that seem to threaten your plans. As before, I suggest you stop reading. It is not our job to keep reassuring you that what you read is crap!

Ian
Old Jul 28th 2015, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It is perfectly legal to have multiple visa applications in process at the same time - therefore, a previous DV entry will have no negative effect whatsoever on a current J-1 visa application.

Ian
It may be legal to have multiple visa applications at the same time, but the J1 trainee visa will be denied if you cannot prove that you do not have imigrant intent. If you tell them about a recent visa or green card application, my understanding is that your J1 will be denied as you clearly have this so called imigrant intent.

So to the OP, I would say, don't mention the interviewing officer about any green card lottery or other visa applications unless you have to.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Enigma368
... my understanding is that your J1 will be denied as you clearly have this so called imigrant intent.
You understand incorrectly. Many hundreds of thousands of people apply for the DV lottery and fewer than 2% make it through to the final round. It is not a bar to applying for and receiving any other visa. So, as I said, it won't matter if he applied or if anyone finds out about it.

Ian
Old Jul 29th 2015, 1:33 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

While I could see another visa application being seen as proof of immigrant intent, a DV lottery entry is a bit of a stretch (and I highly doubt that DV system is linked to the same systems as visa applications), given the odds of even being issued a number to give you a chance to apply for a visa the term "immigrant dream" may be more appropriate, but I guess if you want to look for problems you could say that a dream is intent.... but then thinking about moving to the US or posting on here could be seen as intent as well...
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:42 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

You understand incorrectly. Many hundreds of thousands of people apply for the DV lottery and fewer than 2% make it through to the final round. It is not a bar to applying for and receiving any other visa. So, as I said, it won't matter if he applied or if anyone finds out about it.

Ian
I thought it was millions of people who apply, and from my research countries like NZ might have a figure like 3%, who get a visa as a % of their primary applicants, but for a lot of other countries with a much higher number of applicants like Ghana its more like 0.13% based on the 2014 data. Total Applicants per country. You can figure out % using the previous link and this one

Last edited by tht; Jul 29th 2015 at 4:53 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tht
I thought it was millions of people who apply...
I didn't want to over-estimate and be wrong.

You can figure out % using the previous link and this one
I believe 2% is the world average that someone here (can't remember who... sorry) determined many months ago.

Ian
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:28 pm
tht

I didn't want to over-estimate and be wrong.
Good call, being wrong may impact your ability to concur the universe using the power of truth...
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
Ian you constantly state opinion as fact despite the fact imo, your opinion is not always correct. I already agreed it wasn't illegal and perhaps a DV lottery application is unlikely to affect a J1 trainee application(it definitely can - see link below)

I am however pointing out the important difference between it not being illegal to apply for a J1 trainee visa while also applying for other visa types(it is not illegal- I agree), and the fact that a J1 tranee visa will supposedly be denied if the interviewer believes you have imigrant intent. If you go to a J1 trainee visa interview and volunteer the fact you recently missed out on the H1B lottery for example, the consensus is that you will be denied the J1 as you clearly have shown imigrant intent - despite the fact you have done nothing illegal! You could claim you changed your mind of course but that may be a hard sell.

"intent" is such an imprecise measure to use for something technical like immigration law.

http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showth...fused-cause-DV

Last edited by Enigma368; Jul 29th 2015 at 9:59 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I already agreed it wasn't illegal and perhaps a DV lottery application is unlikely to affect a J1 trainee application(it definitely can - see link below)
Is this your idea of a joke? First, the post is from 2008 so perhaps not relevant. Second, the huge disclaimer at the top of the page pretty much says it all. Third, you have no idea what the back story is on this guy... you only have his side of the story which may or may not be accurate.

If you go to a J1 trainee visa interview and volunteer the fact you recently missed out on the H1B lottery for example, the consensus is that you will be denied the J1 as you clearly have shown imigrant intent...
Almost all visas allow dual intent... including the J-1. Someone needs to educate the interviewing officers on that tidbit because it seems many of them are getting it wrong.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 29th 2015 at 10:32 pm.