J1 visa

Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:07 pm
Sarahhhhh

mads85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 visa

Hello everyone

I have just compeleted a J1 internship working for Walt Disney World in Florida, my Visa expired on April 4th and I am currently travelling around for the 30 days grace period I have. However I have been chatting with other travellers I have met and have heard mixed views on the subject of our visa rules. I was told that if I were to contact immigration I would be able to change my J1 visa to a tourist visa (visa-waiver) and would therefore be able to travel around for a further 90 days until my tourist visa was up... Is this true? And if yes how do I go about changing my status? I looked on the internet for this information but found nothing.
Thanks very much
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 visa

Originally Posted by mads85
I was told that if I were to contact immigration I would be able to change my J1 visa to a tourist visa (visa-waiver) and would therefore be able to travel around for a further 90 days until my tourist visa was up... Is this true?
You can *not* get a visa while you are inside the US. While it is often possible to change your status while inside the US, to become a tourist on the VWP you need to exit and then attempt to re-enter the US. Note that having a valid visa (or visa waiver) does not guarantee entry to the US.

Ian
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:43 am
Just Joined

mauwth is an unknown quantity at this point

Just take a day trip to Canada or Mexico and then re-enter on a visa waiver.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mauwth
and keep your fingers crossed, have a back up plan if you are not let in.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 2:02 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

While things may have changed, I wasn't aware that either Canada or Mexico participated in the VWP.

Ian
Old Apr 8th 2008, 2:09 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not much of a plan. It's possible but unlikely. As Boiler says, plan B has to more than a vague idea if you want to try this method.